Sign in with
Your question

Damn!! I bought a maxtor diamondmax 10 160gb sata

Last response: in Storage
April 10, 2006 8:54:03 PM

Now I found the design life of this drive is 5 years. I want it to last more. what does this design life means.
April 11, 2006 3:53:17 AM

Quote:
Now I found the design life of this drive is 5 years. I want it to last more. what does this design life means.

If you're looking for a drive to last longer than 5 years, you'd better WAIT 5 years for them to change the physical design of HDD's, because with those moving parts, you're lucky to get 2 years out of an average drive...not to mention DOA's and those Runts that die after 2 WEEKS...

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
April 11, 2006 4:17:34 AM

Quote:

im sorry you bought a maxtor..... :cry: 

design life means its only designed to last that long...at anyrate im sorry you bought a maxtor there not...the best know some people who gone though 2-3 maxtor hdds in 2 years and havent learned yet

Western Digital or Seagate my friend :D 
Related resources
April 11, 2006 8:35:44 AM

Quote:

If you're looking for a drive to last longer than 5 years, you'd better WAIT 5 years for them to change the physical design of HDD's, because with those moving parts, you're lucky to get 2 years out of an average drive...not to mention DOA's and those Runts that die after 2 WEEKS...

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

lucky to get 2 years average drive? they give 3 years warranty anyway.
April 11, 2006 9:38:39 AM

Totally opposite experience - my oldest Maxtor is 6 years old and still running great, and I've never had one fail. I've got a WD160gb that is currently in the process of dying, and a Seagate that well and truly died, both within a year/year and a half.
April 11, 2006 10:45:54 AM

Quote:
Totally opposite experience - my oldest Maxtor is 6 years old and still running great, and I've never had one fail. I've got a WD160gb that is currently in the process of dying, and a Seagate that well and truly died, both within a year/year and a half.

agreed. my maxtor 80gb running 3 years and no prob. my quantum fb 30gb running 7 years and still no prob.
April 12, 2006 4:38:15 AM

The DiamondMax 10s are good drives. Obviously any drive can fail at any time, but I wouldn't regret your choice.
!