Sign in with
Your question

Interactive VGA Charts 2006 Kickoff

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 10, 2006 9:05:58 PM

Care about 3D graphics performance? Check out our all-new Interactive VGA Charts 2006, now including benchmarks for dual graphics setups and multiple visual settings.
April 10, 2006 9:17:21 PM

No 7900gt(x)?
April 10, 2006 10:30:42 PM

Was kind of hoping for 7300, 7600, 7900 also :( 
Related resources
April 10, 2006 10:38:35 PM

When will that be coming? PCI-e V?

~Ibrahim~
April 10, 2006 10:47:40 PM

Other than the low end cards like 7300 not being listed. I would like to see the integrated motherboards listed. There have been a bunch of questions from friends if they should upgrade with an integrated motherboard or just buy another AGP card to upgrade their system.

Other
April 10, 2006 11:01:25 PM

Give a mouse a cookie ...
April 10, 2006 11:28:08 PM

What is the base test system for this?
Also in regards to integrated graphics: Unless they are just surfing the net have them get an add-in card. If they don't play games that much, but they do want to play SOME I suggest an x850 for midrange, and try to find a 9800pro for under $100(which I have found). 9800 pro is still good and will still play games, and is ALWAYS better than the 7300,x1300 crap that comes out every cycle.
April 10, 2006 11:44:10 PM

The charts are incorrect; they don't show any performance difference between 7800GT and 7800GT SLI on Age of Empires III.
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2006 11:53:01 PM

NICE!

Lotsa options.

Would like to see some higher resolutions or even Widescreen ones for those of us on widescreen.

And next time round Oblivion would be nice to see as it's damn-anding I mean demanding. :twisted:
April 11, 2006 12:05:05 AM

there supose to be vga chars for 2006 why havent you added ATI 1900 series in it
Or is just the update for the 2005 cards
April 11, 2006 12:48:25 AM

thw x1900's are there.... but im realy realy dissapointed not to see the 7900gt(x) 7600 and 7300 in there....
April 11, 2006 1:05:29 AM

Quote:
No 7900gt(x)?

i was also wondering? 8O 8O 8O 8O

maybe 7900 is just ahoax. or THG never heard of it. :cry: 

sound like BIAS?

hmmmmm. which side of the fence are we anyways?
April 11, 2006 1:19:23 AM

Cool.

I wonder if we would get a VGA chart for workstation cards like the FireGL and Geforce FX?
April 11, 2006 2:02:44 AM

Yea, how can this be even close to worthwhile without the 7900 series? duh.

But then the supply is pretty stinking poor with those 7900 cards. I'm dissapointed in nVidia. I was hoping for free game bundles and rebates by now! But unfortunately supply is just flying off the shelves.
April 11, 2006 7:16:06 AM

Very nice to see the upgraded charts! Y'all have added some cards I had been recently looking for to them. I really appreciate knowing the specifics of each card used, since clock speeds can vary over a 100 between same model cards nowadays, same with memory.

As with some of the above posts, I'd very much love to see a complete chart of all the 7xxx series cards, 7300, 7600, and 7900 offerings. And the x1800 GTO has been out for awhile now in several flavors, gotta add that one even it's really the same as an XL just with headroom! And maybe while I'm asking for the world, the x800 GTO too, just because? :mrgreen:

I'm sure ya'll are working on much of the above already anyway, but just to throw my opinion out there. Thanks a bunch for all the lengthy and tedious work put into these. Especially since it's free! 8)
April 11, 2006 7:17:34 AM

Has anyone noticed that Serious Sam 2 benchmarks screenshot is actually from Serious Sam: The First Encounter.... Other than the lack of 7900s in the benchmarks, this is awesome! Especially awesome for including my card into the bundle (7800gs)
April 11, 2006 11:25:15 AM

Having the x800xls in for AOE3 when they seperated the PS2 and PS3 cards for the 'VGA Charts VIII: PCI Express Winter 2005' would be a step backwards, wouldn't it?
April 11, 2006 12:33:07 PM

Was wondering, what about the Quadro FX cards?
Like where would a Quadro FX 1400 PCI-e do in gaming?

anyone have an idea where a Quadro FX 1400 would be sitting in the chart? what kind of gaming experience to expect from those cards
April 11, 2006 1:14:17 PM

Are Source-engine based games becoming irrelevant as benchmarks?
April 11, 2006 6:49:04 PM

I currently have a 6600GT AGP, and would like to upgrade one more time to bridge the gap to Vista D-Day + ? months, when a new machine is planned. So perhaps a year or so from now until Vista and associated drivers and utilities have settled down.

I was glad to see the 6600GT on the charts; that tells me where I am now. I'd really like to see the 7800GS added, so I can see what the likely improvement will be if I upgrade. Better yet would be a division into AGP and PCIe charts; or at least a change in colors for the AGP cards.

I know we are a dwindling breed, but there are still a lot of AGP machines out there, and with Vista coming it makes sense to hold out until Vista required/desirable configurations have been real world tested after Vista's release.

And perhaps an article on PS upgrades as required by a lot of the newer AGP cards....

And maybe.... and maybe......
April 11, 2006 7:12:51 PM

7800gs is included....
April 11, 2006 7:33:01 PM

Quote:
as far as i can see all cards except the 7900's are there.

1900XT is also missing. XTX and AIW are there but no XT.
April 12, 2006 5:45:05 AM

A Really nice and comprehensive test, thanks for that. I guess 7900 etc. will come to it in time. Being a product that's not really "available" at the moment, it'd been a waste of time testing it since no one really has it.

But I also found something strange in the tests... well perhaps not "Strange", but made me wonder that what is the rig used for all the tests. Most of results seemed really low.. i mean abysmal type of low. GF GTX7800 Extreme got 2k and some on 3DMark2006... i get almost 1,5k more with my GTX. Same goes to most of the game tests. I tend to get round 20-50fps more.. at least. And after a quick survey i found that the low end cards on the test showed a lot worse results here than they tend to do on most people.

Would be nice to know the machine that was used in the test so people could use the test for evaluating the cards. If there results are presented as absolute with no refrence point in hardware, the test isn't really much use for anyone.

Oh, and my PC is:
AMD 64 3500+ s939 Venice
Asus A8N-E Mobo
2048Mb DDR 400Mhz
NVidia GF GTX7800 256Mb
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
480W Antec TrueBlue
+ periphreals which don't affect on anything.

That's about it. Thanks for reading... and if the test rig is mentioned somewhere, I must've missed it. In that case I apologize and promise to be more vigilant in the future.

________
Silon
April 12, 2006 8:14:13 PM

Quote:
as far as i can see all cards except the 7900's are there.

Well, where do you see the 7600 and 7300 cards?
April 12, 2006 8:21:52 PM

Quote:
A Really nice and comprehensive test, thanks for that. I guess 7900 etc. will come to it in time. Being a product that's not really "available" at the moment, it'd been a waste of time testing it since no one really has it.

The 7900 may be in pretty short supply, but the 7600 is widely available, and these are also not in the benchmarks
April 12, 2006 9:31:21 PM

Quote:
The charts are incorrect; they don't show any performance difference between 7800GT and 7800GT SLI on Age of Empires III.

SLI doesn't always offer performance increases. Let's see, a game that's part of "The way it's meant to be played" campaign doesn't support SLI?
April 14, 2006 12:03:45 PM

That the figures, the 3 cards I want to see are not in the list...Anybody know where a 7600GT, 7600GS, or X800GTO would fit in to the mix (and possibly why the hell they're not on the list in the first place)? I'm thinking of getting one of these for a budget PC and would like to know where I'm gonna end up relatively in graphics performance.
April 17, 2006 4:55:20 PM

So what types of machines were these benched on? Was there a difference between AGP & PCI-e rigs?
April 17, 2006 11:48:49 PM

Quote:
That the figures, the 3 cards I want to see are not in the list...Anybody know where a 7600GT, 7600GS, or X800GTO would fit in to the mix (and possibly why the hell they're not on the list in the first place)? I'm thinking of getting one of these for a budget PC and would like to know where I'm gonna end up relatively in graphics performance.

Exactly... the current charts are not very helpful at all if you'r in the market for a new card. Too many missing cards.
April 25, 2006 4:50:31 AM

Seems like Tom's continues to drop the ball by not doing a complete comprehensive testing of all the video cards that are out there. They must have know that the 7600 7900 series was out and should have added them to the list. I think the chart is not that user friendly and a little confusing. I think their older charts are better and easier to use. I think when they do charts like this they need to test every configuration of every card. I am sick of the dang high end SLI cards being tested all the time> No I dont have a thousand dollars to spend on two cards let alone 500 to get a top of the line. I wanna see all the cards ALL OF THEM like the 7600GS in SLI mode. Is it too much to ask for a complete list of all the cards out there. Is there anyone out there that cares about the lowly budget gamer and his needs. It is like reading a car magazine and all they road test are $50,000 cars! Come on get real. The price of gas is going up and so is the price of electricity. Heck I might need to hock my card so I can fill my tank in order to get to work next week.
April 25, 2006 10:28:43 AM

Quote:
Seems like Tom's continues to drop the ball by not doing a complete comprehensive testing of all the video cards that are out there. They must have know that the 7600 7900 series was out and should have added them to the list. I think the chart is not that user friendly and a little confusing. I think their older charts are better and easier to use. I think when they do charts like this they need to test every configuration of every card. I am sick of the dang high end SLI cards being tested all the time> No I dont have a thousand dollars to spend on two cards let alone 500 to get a top of the line. I wanna see all the cards ALL OF THEM like the 7600GS in SLI mode. Is it too much to ask for a complete list of all the cards out there. Is there anyone out there that cares about the lowly budget gamer and his needs. It is like reading a car magazine and all they road test are $50,000 cars! Come on get real. The price of gas is going up and so is the price of electricity. Heck I might need to hock my card so I can fill my tank in order to get to work next week.

Yupper... and they likely will continue to do so, though I hope not. Toms has made the transgression or is in the process of doing so from that site that is on the cutting edge, a no holds barred review site, to one the suffers from it's own success. I get the sense reading many articles, especially those about graphics cards as those imo are the ones most lacking in comprehensive and realistic content.

Damn right you are about being tired of reading about SLI. I am too. Imo these configurations are only for those who are retarded enough to buy into them, have extra $ to the point of 'hey: why not buy and extra $500 card', or have a mommy and daddy who they can convince it's neccessary to buy the card. I suspect the latter results in more sales for NVidia.

Certainly SLI should be a part of a comprehensive review or comparision if you're comparing all cards, but it shouldn't be a focus. That Toms left out the 7600 is nuts to me. I'm sure we'll eventually see it, as it's bound to be the most successful card of all the NVidia 7 series, but Toms... where the hell are you on this? Other sites posted great reviews and comparison weeks ago. You knew this card was coming out, and it was out when you posted you charts.

Most of us, are in the market for one card. Most of us, aren't upset if we only get 40 FPS vs 50 FPS. Most of us realise we can't really tell the difference all that much with our eyes. What I think most of us are concerned with is: does the card work, does it have the features to last me a decent amount of time, does it do what I need it to do whatever my needs are. Most of all I think most of us are going to be concerned with: hey, is this card even worth my $, or is this other card?

Toms is generally a good site. I think it's oft lacking in more and more of it's articles what made it great and what got me coming here over and over for the last few years: good and comprehensice reviews that speak from intelligence to intelligence. Some articles on this site are still great and this is why I still come here, other are far less than great. The VGA Charts are such an article.
April 25, 2006 9:33:58 PM

I agree that it is unfortunate that they don't have the 7300, 7600, 7900, ... cards but it is unnecessary to reemphasize it so many times. Maybe we all should remember we are not paying tom's hardware for there list of card benchmarks.
April 26, 2006 10:05:46 AM

In addition to the other complaints about the lack of 7900 variants missing, I'd like to see power requirements and heat related information.

For instance, how much power does a given x1900 draw vs. a given 7900, and how much heat do they put out in the case? I almost never see the latter discussed...

Also a section on the DB levels of the various cards would be helpful. I am sure that if I get the best card(s) money can buy, but its (they are) very noisy, it will make my life difficult.

Just my 2p worth...
May 1, 2006 1:24:46 PM

Quote:
In addition to the other complaints about the lack of 7900 variants missing, I'd like to see power requirements and heat related information.

Also a section on the DB levels of the various cards would be helpful.quote]

ON THE NAIL!!!!

I've always loked at Toms for the latest tests so why have they missed the 7900's and the 7600? There has been ample time to update the Chart. I find it pathetic they haven't updated it.

The CHARTS ARE USELESS UNLESS THEY ARE UP-TO-DATE (which they are not).
May 23, 2006 3:04:16 PM

these figures can't be right... i get 62fps ave in FEAR on max settings, and i don't have a "top of the line" card. I have 2 evga 7600 gt ko's running in sli... i also get soemthing like 8500 in 3dmark05 pro.

pentium D 950 3.4ghz
2 evga 7600 gt ko's
aus p5n32 delux sli
4 gb ram (win xp 32 tho, so they're not be fully used)
!