Interactive VGA Charts 2006 Kickoff

pschmid

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Care about 3D graphics performance? Check out our all-new Interactive VGA Charts 2006, now including benchmarks for dual graphics setups and multiple visual settings.

othercents

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Other than the low end cards like 7300 not being listed. I would like to see the integrated motherboards listed. There have been a bunch of questions from friends if they should upgrade with an integrated motherboard or just buy another AGP card to upgrade their system.

Other

Sparticus

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2005
What is the base test system for this?
Also in regards to integrated graphics: Unless they are just surfing the net have them get an add-in card. If they don't play games that much, but they do want to play SOME I suggest an x850 for midrange, and try to find a 9800pro for under $100(which I have found). 9800 pro is still good and will still play games, and is ALWAYS better than the 7300,x1300 crap that comes out every cycle.

Gazza

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2004
there supose to be vga chars for 2006 why havent you added ATI 1900 series in it
Or is just the update for the 2005 cards

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Yea, how can this be even close to worthwhile without the 7900 series? duh.

But then the supply is pretty stinking poor with those 7900 cards. I'm dissapointed in nVidia. I was hoping for free game bundles and rebates by now! But unfortunately supply is just flying off the shelves.

Kougar

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2005
Very nice to see the upgraded charts! Y'all have added some cards I had been recently looking for to them. I really appreciate knowing the specifics of each card used, since clock speeds can vary over a 100 between same model cards nowadays, same with memory.

As with some of the above posts, I'd very much love to see a complete chart of all the 7xxx series cards, 7300, 7600, and 7900 offerings. And the x1800 GTO has been out for awhile now in several flavors, gotta add that one even it's really the same as an XL just with headroom! And maybe while I'm asking for the world, the x800 GTO too, just because? :mrgreen:

I'm sure ya'll are working on much of the above already anyway, but just to throw my opinion out there. Thanks a bunch for all the lengthy and tedious work put into these. Especially since it's free! 8)

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Has anyone noticed that Serious Sam 2 benchmarks screenshot is actually from Serious Sam: The First Encounter.... Other than the lack of 7900s in the benchmarks, this is awesome! Especially awesome for including my card into the bundle (7800gs)

octagonalman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Having the x800xls in for AOE3 when they seperated the PS2 and PS3 cards for the 'VGA Charts VIII: PCI Express Winter 2005' would be a step backwards, wouldn't it?

EvilC0P

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Was wondering, what about the Quadro FX cards?
Like where would a Quadro FX 1400 PCI-e do in gaming?

anyone have an idea where a Quadro FX 1400 would be sitting in the chart? what kind of gaming experience to expect from those cards

Kulamata

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I currently have a 6600GT AGP, and would like to upgrade one more time to bridge the gap to Vista D-Day + ? months, when a new machine is planned. So perhaps a year or so from now until Vista and associated drivers and utilities have settled down.

I was glad to see the 6600GT on the charts; that tells me where I am now. I'd really like to see the 7800GS added, so I can see what the likely improvement will be if I upgrade. Better yet would be a division into AGP and PCIe charts; or at least a change in colors for the AGP cards.

I know we are a dwindling breed, but there are still a lot of AGP machines out there, and with Vista coming it makes sense to hold out until Vista required/desirable configurations have been real world tested after Vista's release.

And perhaps an article on PS upgrades as required by a lot of the newer AGP cards....

And maybe.... and maybe......

Silon

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
A Really nice and comprehensive test, thanks for that. I guess 7900 etc. will come to it in time. Being a product that's not really "available" at the moment, it'd been a waste of time testing it since no one really has it.

But I also found something strange in the tests... well perhaps not "Strange", but made me wonder that what is the rig used for all the tests. Most of results seemed really low.. i mean abysmal type of low. GF GTX7800 Extreme got 2k and some on 3DMark2006... i get almost 1,5k more with my GTX. Same goes to most of the game tests. I tend to get round 20-50fps more.. at least. And after a quick survey i found that the low end cards on the test showed a lot worse results here than they tend to do on most people.

Would be nice to know the machine that was used in the test so people could use the test for evaluating the cards. If there results are presented as absolute with no refrence point in hardware, the test isn't really much use for anyone.

Oh, and my PC is:
AMD 64 3500+ s939 Venice
Asus A8N-E Mobo
2048Mb DDR 400Mhz
NVidia GF GTX7800 256Mb
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
480W Antec TrueBlue
+ periphreals which don't affect on anything.

That's about it. Thanks for reading... and if the test rig is mentioned somewhere, I must've missed it. In that case I apologize and promise to be more vigilant in the future.

________
Silon

1stBuild

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
A Really nice and comprehensive test, thanks for that. I guess 7900 etc. will come to it in time. Being a product that's not really "available" at the moment, it'd been a waste of time testing it since no one really has it.

The 7900 may be in pretty short supply, but the 7600 is widely available, and these are also not in the benchmarks