Silver/Gold Inks Epson Printers

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Has anybody heard of any recent advances in the quest to create a true
silver and a true gold ink cartridge for Epson printers? My company
uses an Epson Stylus Photo 2200, and we're searching for a silver ink
cartridge to produce a true silver ink.
6 answers Last reply
More about silver gold inks epson printers
  1. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    JaMaPoR@gmail.com wrote:
    > Has anybody heard of any recent advances in the quest to create a true
    > silver and a true gold ink cartridge for Epson printers? My company
    > uses an Epson Stylus Photo 2200, and we're searching for a silver ink
    > cartridge to produce a true silver ink.
    >

    Yikes, you're asking for trouble!!!! Don't we have enough problems
    with clogging?

    I believe you have to use metal particles to achieve gold and silver
    colours, which would make the inks quite thick. And this would work
    directly against normal inks which are more like "Kool-Aid" in texture
    in order to prevent clogging in the print head. In other words, your
    print head would probably clog even before your first printed sentence
    in gold or silver. right now, go for the fake gold/silver that your
    software can produce.

    -Taliesyn
  2. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Taliesyn wrote:
    > JaMaPoR@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Has anybody heard of any recent advances in the quest to create a
    >> true silver and a true gold ink cartridge for Epson printers? My
    >> company uses an Epson Stylus Photo 2200, and we're searching for a
    >> silver ink cartridge to produce a true silver ink.
    >>
    >
    > Yikes, you're asking for trouble!!!! Don't we have enough problems
    > with clogging?
    >
    > I believe you have to use metal particles to achieve gold and silver
    > colours, which would make the inks quite thick. And this would work
    > directly against normal inks which are more like "Kool-Aid" in texture
    > in order to prevent clogging in the print head. In other words, your
    > print head would probably clog even before your first printed sentence
    > in gold or silver. right now, go for the fake gold/silver that your
    > software can produce.
    >
    > -Taliesyn


    You're right. Normal inkjets aren't capable of handling metallics. I had an
    old ALPS that was - but that died a death yonks ago, and they're no longer
    made, TTBOMK.
    --
    Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    on salads.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    On 24 Jan 2005 13:12:51 -0800, in comp.periphs.printers, JaMaPoR@gmail.com
    wrote:

    >Has anybody heard of any recent advances in the quest to create a true
    >silver and a true gold ink cartridge for Epson printers? My company
    >uses an Epson Stylus Photo 2200, and we're searching for a silver ink
    >cartridge to produce a true silver ink.

    The nearest I've come is printing onto "silver" CDs with an Epson R200.

    They're sort of a matt silver but the effect is quite good for a
    "metallic" background if you print a shaded colour range. I've had quite
    nice gold, bronze and silver effects using yellows, oranges(ish) and
    greys. The importants bit is to emulate the highlights carefully with
    very pale colour or even white.

    Dave

    --
    xtalsinger@yahoo.com is a valid reply-to address but I don't check it every day.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    If you are looking for real gold you should look locally for somthing like
    this:

    http://adriatix.hr/A_PROIZVODI/A_Foly/A_FOLY_1.htm


    --

    adriatic
    http://adriatix.hr/

    <JaMaPoR@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1106601171.241208.117110@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    > Has anybody heard of any recent advances in the quest to create a true
    > silver and a true gold ink cartridge for Epson printers? My company
    > uses an Epson Stylus Photo 2200, and we're searching for a silver ink
    > cartridge to produce a true silver ink.
    >
  5. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Even if a silver ink could be produced, the result would be rather
    matte, like most silver spray paint looks, and it would likely darken
    and oxidize over time.

    As Adriatic states, one way to produce metallic results, which can look
    rather nice and shiny is to use foil sheets with a laser printer. The
    way these work is the foil adheres to the laser toner. One prints the
    item on a laser printer, and then using a foil sheet, places the foil
    wherever the foil is desired, and the sheet is either run through the
    laser printer again, or through some other heated device (like a
    laminator), and the foil is transferred onto the toner which it adheres
    to. The sheet is then peeled off and the metallic foil is left behind
    wherever the toner was.

    Art

    Adriatic wrote:

    > If you are looking for real gold you should look locally for somthing like
    > this:
    >
    > http://adriatix.hr/A_PROIZVODI/A_Foly/A_FOLY_1.htm
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    > adriatic
    > http://adriatix.hr/
    >
    > <JaMaPoR@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:1106601171.241208.117110@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    >
    >>Has anybody heard of any recent advances in the quest to create a true
    >>silver and a true gold ink cartridge for Epson printers? My company
    >>uses an Epson Stylus Photo 2200, and we're searching for a silver ink
    >>cartridge to produce a true silver ink.
    >>
    >
    >
    >
  6. Anonymous said:
    Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Taliesyn wrote:
    > JaMaPoR@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Has anybody heard of any recent advances in the quest to create a
    >> true silver and a true gold ink cartridge for Epson printers? My
    >> company uses an Epson Stylus Photo 2200, and we're searching for a
    >> silver ink cartridge to produce a true silver ink.
    >>
    >
    > Yikes, you're asking for trouble!!!! Don't we have enough problems
    > with clogging?
    >
    > I believe you have to use metal particles to achieve gold and silver
    > colours, which would make the inks quite thick. And this would work
    > directly against normal inks which are more like "Kool-Aid" in texture
    > in order to prevent clogging in the print head. In other words, your
    > print head would probably clog even before your first printed sentence
    > in gold or silver. right now, go for the fake gold/silver that your
    > software can produce.
    >
    > -Taliesyn


    You're right. Normal inkjets aren't capable of handling metallics. I had an
    old ALPS that was - but that died a death yonks ago, and they're no longer
    made, TTBOMK.
    --
    Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    on salads.


    What model printer was that, and could really print metallic symbols on print?
Ask a new question

Read More

Printers Epson Silver Peripherals