Noob Question: Could one use WinXP 32 bit on a 64 bit CPU?

Zaq005

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
Is it possible? Is there a performance issue? I hear that people have alot of problems with WinXP 64 bit so I would rather get 32 bit but I don't want to need to sacrifice CPU power in order to do so

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Is it possible? Is there a performance issue? I hear that people have alot of problems with WinXP 64 bit so I would rather get 32 bit but I don't want to need to sacrifice CPU power in order to do so

Yep, you totally can. I would recommend an Athlon 64, because they have 5 different modes and 2 specifically geared for 32-bit mode. An Athlon 64b also outperforms an Intel counterpart (even Conroe) by up to 40% in 64-bit, so when you migrate to x64 in the future, you will still have the best.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

Zaq005

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006

Yep, you totally can. I would recommend an Athlon 64, because they have 5 different modes and 2 specifically geared for 32-bit mode. An Athlon 64b also outperforms an Intel counterpart (even Conroe) by up to 40% in 64-bit, so when you migrate to x64 in the future, you will still have the best.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

Yay! Thanks!

pat

Expert
You are sue that it would work?? I was sure that everyone that have 64 bits cpu either all run 64 bits OS or have their computer unused since 2004 waiting for mature 64 bits OS to be released ....