Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Canon I-850 and I-860 Vs IP-3000

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 9:43:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Can't find an 850 or 950 locally...only the IP printers.

How do these two compare with the 800 series?

Are they essentially the same printer but upgrades?

Are the cartridges easily refillable?

Many thanks!

Pixmaker in FLL
==========================
It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
==========================
(...Think the humidity's bad?
You should watch us vote!)

More about : canon 850 860 3000

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 4:20:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

At about $70 for a set of cartridges at Comp USA, it seems that 5 or 6
refills will easily equal the price of the new printer.

I'm gonna refill mine!

Pixmaker in FLL
==========================
It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
==========================
(...Think the humidity's bad?
You should watch us vote!)
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 6:55:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

The IP4000 is the next generation I860. It prints duplex and has 2 paper
feeds and is faster. It is the best value. But make sure you use Canon
inks.

Pixmaker wrote:

>Can't find an 850 or 950 locally...only the IP printers.
>
>How do these two compare with the 800 series?
>
>Are they essentially the same printer but upgrades?
>
>Are the cartridges easily refillable?
>
>Many thanks!
>
> Pixmaker in FLL
>==========================
>It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
>==========================
>(...Think the humidity's bad?
> You should watch us vote!)
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 9:24:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

measekite wrote:
> The IP4000 is the next generation I860. It prints duplex and has 2
> paper feeds and is faster. It is the best value. But make sure you
> use Canon inks.
>


why? do you think non-original ink can cause that famous head blows? My head
died (well, not MINE, but in my printer, hehe) in i550, i did refill, but
i've heard experiences of dying head with using original ink only...
i still wonder, should i or should i NOT refill my new ip4000...


> Pixmaker wrote:
>
>> Can't find an 850 or 950 locally...only the IP printers.
>>
>> How do these two compare with the 800 series?
>>
>> Are they essentially the same printer but upgrades?
>>
>> Are the cartridges easily refillable?
>>
>> Many thanks!
>>
>> Pixmaker in FLL
>> ==========================
>> It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
>> ==========================
>> (...Think the humidity's bad?
>> You should watch us vote!)
January 26, 2005 12:34:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in news:VZtJd.14789$wZ2.8476
@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

> The IP4000 is the next generation I860. It prints duplex and has 2
> paper feeds and is faster. It is the best value. But make sure you
> use Canon inks.

Canon inks. Why?

Is my iP5000 (next generation i860 and then some) running on Chinese
cartridges filled with USA formulabs inks going to fail anytime soon, or
will my photos turn "a whiter shade of pale?"

If I run it for a just a year, cartridge savings will pay for a new
printer.... which explains why I have two printers. I also own an
i860.

My original i860 running on bulk filled cartridges did die, but it was
the paper feed system that failed. Canon service asked me if I refilled?
I bluntly said, "Yes!" They gave me a lecture that they had seen so many
failing printers due to non Canon inks. That was possible, I suppose, if
some fool was using "Universal" inks. However, I kindly reminded them
that the paper feed was failing, not the print head. They agreed to send
me a new i860, minus the print head. Replacement doing fine with same
bulk filled cartridges.

By the way, I squeeze out even more savings by buying "dollar store"
glossy paper (20 sheets for a Dollar). About the same print quality
as Canon's best. I can run these printers both economically and safely.

Nelson
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:44:57 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In article Pixmaker says...
> Can't find an 850 or 950 locally...only the IP printers.
>
> How do these two compare with the 800 series?
>
> Are they essentially the same printer but upgrades?
>
> Are the cartridges easily refillable?
>
i850 -> i560 -> iP3000
i950 -> i965 -> no direct iP replacement but maybe iP5000

Why are you searching for old stock?
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:44:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Because I've heard such good things about these two printers. They
seem to have stood the test of time (however brief that has become).

I need a replacement for an HP 932C which gave up the ghost yesterday.
It's not the greatest printer but was simple, easy to refill (that's
important to me) and pretty reliable. But (sound of palm of hand
hitting forehead) I am really getting steamed at the cost of
operation. Yeah, HP gets ya by the cartridges.

I need a basic color printer having the following characteristics.

1. Reliable.
2. Consistent.
3. Refillable Carts. Important because this printer is my basic
proofer for portraits, candid work and so on. I've sold prints up
to 8 x 10 from the HP and they've held up well.

I've standardized on bulk inks and have been getting good
consistent results. I'd like to do the same with the Canon.

I don't need and don't want to pay for LCD viewers, CF card sockets
and the like because I do all that stuff directly into the computer.

I know...picky, picky, picky!

But...

"All the world's queer, dear.
Except thee and me, dear.
But, even thee's a little queer, dear!"

Pixmaker in FLL
==========================
It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
==========================
(...Think the humidity's bad?
You should watch us vote!)
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:44:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

colinco wrote:
> In article Pixmaker says...
>> Can't find an 850 or 950 locally...only the IP printers.
>>
>> How do these two compare with the 800 series?
>>
>> Are they essentially the same printer but upgrades?
>>
>> Are the cartridges easily refillable?
>>
> i850 -> i560 -> iP3000
> i950 -> i965 -> no direct iP replacement but maybe iP5000
>
> Why are you searching for old stock?

you fogot ip4000, which is a replacement for i865...
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 11:45:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Nelson wrote:
> measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in news:VZtJd.14789$wZ2.8476
> @newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:
>
>> The IP4000 is the next generation I860. It prints duplex and has 2
>> paper feeds and is faster. It is the best value. But make sure you
>> use Canon inks.
>
> Canon inks. Why?
>
> Is my iP5000 (next generation i860 and then some) running on Chinese
> cartridges filled with USA formulabs inks going to fail anytime soon,
> or will my photos turn "a whiter shade of pale?"
>
> If I run it for a just a year, cartridge savings will pay for a new
> printer.... which explains why I have two printers. I also own an
> i860.
>
> My original i860 running on bulk filled cartridges did die, but it was
> the paper feed system that failed. Canon service asked me if I
> refilled? I bluntly said, "Yes!"



Mistake!!!
You SHOULD of say: "Naaaaah...not me....EVER!!!"
And you'd get brand new print head, too...They could NEVER proove that you
refilled if you'd insert Canon carts before you took it to the service...and
maybe run a few cleaning cycles. Do you think they'd send samples of waste
ink to the lab...? :-)))

BTW...i've had i550 on which print head died. I refilled with quality inks.
But, i run it about 18 months, and in this time i saved for new ip4000 and
some extra cash...
However, i'm still now sure if refilling caused head failure, since there
are reports of head failing with Canon's carts.








They gave me a lecture that they had
> seen so many failing printers due to non Canon inks. That was
> possible, I suppose, if some fool was using "Universal" inks.
> However, I kindly reminded them that the paper feed was failing, not
> the print head. They agreed to send me a new i860, minus the print
> head. Replacement doing fine with same bulk filled cartridges.
>
> By the way, I squeeze out even more savings by buying "dollar store"
> glossy paper (20 sheets for a Dollar). About the same print quality
> as Canon's best. I can run these printers both economically and
> safely.
>
> Nelson
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 5:35:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I agree totally about the iP4000. I prefer it over my i950 and older s820.
Both are great printers, but to me the iP4000 is better. However, I
disagree with the comment about using only Canon inks. If cost wasn't an
issue then it wouldn't matter, but for the majority of us it is a concern
and the only way to print economically is with quality bulk inks (and to a
somewhat lesser extent with decent aftermarket cartridges). I've not had
head failures due to the very large numbers of refills I've done on any of
my printers. Consider these costs. New iP4000's are about $130.00. Deduct
the value of the Canon cartridges that come with the printer and the net
cost for the printer is a little under $80.00. It costs me less than $1.50
to refill an entire set of tanks or about 30ยข per tank. If I only refill
eight tanks, I've then saved $80.00 which is enough to pay for a new
printer, if the value of the Canon cartridges is factored in. I won't
disagree that you can be assured of quality output if using Canon inks, but
that doesn't mean OEM is superior. I've printed comparison color charts and
reference photos with Canon ink and with my bulk (Formulabs) ink and the
results are identical.
--
Ron Cohen

"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:VZtJd.14789$wZ2.8476@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> The IP4000 is the next generation I860. It prints duplex and has 2 paper
> feeds and is faster. It is the best value. But make sure you use Canon
> inks.
>
> Pixmaker wrote:
>
>>Can't find an 850 or 950 locally...only the IP printers.
>>
>>How do these two compare with the 800 series?
>>
>>Are they essentially the same printer but upgrades?
>>
>>Are the cartridges easily refillable?
>>
>>Many thanks!
>>
>> Pixmaker in FLL ==========================
>>It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
>>==========================
>>(...Think the humidity's bad? You should watch us vote!)
>>
February 2, 2005 9:49:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I just bought an I960 and have used the original OEM cartridges and then
refilled with MIS inks. Great results, and from what I've been told, faster
than the IP series. After at least 1,000 4x6 prints with MIS inks the
printer is working fine. Also have found that Kirkland glossy photo paper
from Costco is excellent with this printer and both OEM and MIS inks.

"Pixmaker" <pixmaker@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:2ccbv01qoij34im3q3v7g7tumu7m596l12@4ax.com...
> Can't find an 850 or 950 locally...only the IP printers.
>
> How do these two compare with the 800 series?
>
> Are they essentially the same printer but upgrades?
>
> Are the cartridges easily refillable?
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Pixmaker in FLL
> ==========================
> It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
> ==========================
> (...Think the humidity's bad?
> You should watch us vote!)
>
!