Sign in with
Your question

I know the case, but which PSU?

Last response: in Components
April 11, 2006 12:04:55 AM

Hi guys,

I will be building a new system using a Coolermaster Stacker case and was wondering if there might be an advantage in going with a coolermaster PSU.

The supplier I want to go with sells a few models of these manufacturers
SHAW
Antec
Coolermaster
Thermaltake
AcBel
Topower
Super Flower

At the start I willl be running
1x 7900GTX
1x DVDRW
2x SATA drives
1x PATA
1x Floppy
1x Audigy2 budget card
up to 6 USB2.0 onboard to the front of the case.
2x 1GB DDR PC400.

Later I will likely add more HDD. (Much later)

So,

Is the coolermaster range of PSUs OK?
whioch would be the best from the list above?

Cheers.
RB

More about : case psu

April 11, 2006 1:12:09 AM

Buy a "PC Power & Cooling" PSU - it's worth the money. I've given up on all the others, but I have an old one which has lasted over 10 yrs. I just bought a Silencer 470 ATX ($99) for another PC. I've had bad luck with other brands. Buy online at "http://www.pcpowercooling.com/home/". No, I don't work for them or know anyone there.
April 11, 2006 3:21:29 AM

hmm spend ~$20 more , OCZ Powerstream 520w, killer PSU, beat sout higher end PSU's like the Turbo-Cool 510 Deluxe from PC Power and cooling? not sure but PC P&C's 200+ dollar PSU
Related resources
a c 158 ) Power supply
April 13, 2006 11:46:45 AM

When talking PSUs you need to be as specific as possible. Almost all PSU mfrs have multiple lines of PSUs of varying qualities. What's your budget for the PSU? Do you have a link to your supplier? How opposed ar eyou to going with a different vendor and where are you located?
April 16, 2006 5:00:11 AM

Cooler Master has midrange power supplies, I'd rather go with a Fortron Source.
April 18, 2006 12:12:49 AM

I am very opposed to going with a different vendor. Mostly because I want 1 invoice to make it easier for claiming this build back on tax ;) 

Also, if I start paying delivery on seperate items the cost will start to creep up.

the 2 suppliers I was here in Australia are www.cpl.net.au and msy.com.au
I have taken a bit of a shine to the Antect Neo HE 550W which is about $180AUD.

I guess I was wondering about the coolermaster PSU because it comes with a front panel display (Don't know what it actually shows) that might be "cool" LOL

After that I thought a true power2 seems to get a lot of good press, and from there I thought the Neo HE sounded even better.
April 18, 2006 12:55:25 AM

Quote:

I have taken a bit of a shine to the Antect Neo HE 550W which is about $180AUD.

After that I thought a true power2 seems to get a lot of good press, and from there I thought the Neo HE sounded even better.

What kind of motherboard you using? I have been in market for awhile now for a power supply myself. I also looked at the Antec HE 550w, but if your using an ASUS A832N-SLI or A8N-SLI/Deluxe/Premium board, the Antec HE Series doesn't work with them. They randomly reboot those kind of boards.

I can't remember where I read that, or I would have posted a link.

I just bought an OCZ Powerstream 520w for $134.99, everyone pointed me in that direction, and I plan to use the same vga your going to use (7900GTX, BFG flavor)

OCZ PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Review OCZ PSU: http://www.hardwaremods.com/reviews/psu/ocz-powerstream...

Maybe the website you want to buy everything from offers this one, worth a look and consideration.
!