FWD v Skype

I am trying to decide which service to use VOIP. I am in the UK but would
like the service to call/receive calls from Africa/Asia and standard
landlines.

What are the pros and cons of Skype/FWD. I would like a technology whereby
I can travel worldwide. I also need to look at costs v quality.

Amer

Juan

Distinguished
May 5, 2003

> What are the pros and cons of Skype/FWD. I would like a technology
whereby
> I can travel worldwide. I also need to look at costs v quality.

I have tried both, FWD is SIP based (standard) and Skype have propietary
protocol.

I have both installed in my laptop, with WIFI internet access, without any
problem.

If you travel with laptop or PDA, you can try and decide.

For FWD I recommend you a softphone like i.e: Sjphone from www.sjlabs.com ,
there is a special version for FWD.

Both systems work fine behind NAT, but Skype is very easy to install, you
call free PC-PC, and to standard phones (pay), the sound quality is very
good, and the comunications are encrypted.

Juan

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"Juan" <nospam@nospam.es> wrote> For FWD I recommend you a softphone like
i.e: Sjphone from www.sjlabs.com ,
> there is a special version for FWD.

Can you use FWD with dial up internet???

Steve

Steve wrote:

> "Juan" <nospam@nospam.es> wrote> For FWD I recommend you a softphone like
> i.e: Sjphone from www.sjlabs.com ,
>> there is a special version for FWD.
>>
> Can you use FWD with dial up internet???
>
> Steve

I have occasionally skyped with a dial-up user. The only problem I noticed
is the choppiness in incoming audio from the dial-up user even though s/he
can hear me clear. I suspect the default Skype CoDec that provides good
audio systems is not meant for a dial-up usage. YMMV.

--
root/administrator

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"root/administrator" < wrote The only problem I noticed
> is the choppiness in incoming audio from the dial-up user even though s/he
> can hear me clear. I suspect the default Skype CoDec that provides good
> audio systems is not meant for a dial-up usage. YMMV.

My questin was whether it is possible to use FWD over dial-up?

Steve

Steve wrote:

> "root/administrator" < wrote The only problem I noticed
>> is the choppiness in incoming audio from the dial-up user even though
>> s/he can hear me clear. I suspect the default Skype CoDec that provides
>> good audio systems is not meant for a dial-up usage. YMMV.
>>
> My questin was whether it is possible to use FWD over dial-up?
>
> Steve

Oh, you want a shorter answer and it is possible.

--
root/administrator

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"root/administrator" <administrator@dev.null.dnsalias.net> wrote >
> Oh, you want a shorter answer and it is possible.

Sorry, Hope not to be rude... But I am intending to use FWD but would like
to know if and how can It be used under dial-up internet access. I have a
friend in a country where there is NO broadban and only dial-up. They hope
to have broadband in 12 months time though and therfore we felt that FWD
would be fine if it cud be used. Do you know ho wthis could be achieved.

Steve

Ian

"Steve" <none@Nospam.EBAY.net> wrote in message

> "root/administrator" <administrator@dev.null.dnsalias.net> wrote >
> > Oh, you want a shorter answer and it is possible.
>
> Sorry, Hope not to be rude... But I am intending to use FWD but would like
> to know if and how can It be used under dial-up internet access. I have a
> friend in a country where there is NO broadban and only dial-up. They
hope
> to have broadband in 12 months time though and therfore we felt that FWD
> would be fine if it cud be used. Do you know ho wthis could be achieved.
>

> Steve

IF you are happy with VVVV poor speech even on the GSM codec.
It seems to need at least 64K, I tried lsat week with a freind on dial up to
my * box and it was V choppy

Ian