Report: Nvidia to Give Green Light for Video Card Designs

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Screw you Nvidia, you just christened a new market: Video card mods at the board level.
Now we will have tons of chinese bastard companies selling garbage ware to mod the boards and what not.

Congrats!

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Yeah this is bullsh*t. While I do understand the need for them to protect their brand, this just imposes wayy too much power to Nvidia. Sure, for now its going to be "you can't give this too much voltage in fear that it will explode." But what keeps them from saying:

"Wow, Asus, that is a great card and falls within all limits - however it is TOO good, too fast compared to future cards, too quiet compared to competition. We can't let you make it."

I mean, damn. They could make EVERYONE use blower style cards because it "doesn't fall within specs" if they wanted. This is a bad move, Nvidia. Very disappointing.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I am very happy with this move because to me as a consumer it means only one - better quality and more hard work from vendors. Great news. Nobody said the modding is gone - NVidia just wants to be sure it makes sense and does not ruin the card within few years. Way to go.
I am sure there is a lot of controversy (just like there always was) but at the end of the day NVidia is here for one - profit. They won't go crazy on every manufacturer because they don't want to sell less they just want to make sure the brand is represented right and there is nothing wrong with it.
Free market has never worked - fact. Everything needs regulation to certain extent. We will have to wait and see how this project will be carried out.

SnickerSnack

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Maybe this is where my MSI GTX 690 went - I've been waiting for a lightning extreme version of the card, but they haven't even released a regular one yet. Earlier this week I was ecstatic to see the 690 finally listed on MSI.com, but no vendors are stocking it. Now, as of yesterday, it no longer exists on MSI's website whatsoever. This is probably why.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Screw you Nvidia, you just christened a new market: Video card mods at the board level.Now we will have tons of chinese bastard companies selling garbage ware to mod the boards and what not.Congrats![/citation]

Counter-measure: Invest in better RMA process and add a record chip to the GPUs, one that is designed to catch more shenanigans (sneaky mods, software OC) than regular.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Counter-measure: Invest in better RMA process and add a record chip to the GPUs, one that is designed to catch more shenanigans (sneaky mods, software OC) than regular.[/citation]

Sounds good however, then NVidia will be blamed for spying on your PC :) PR has to be sure their proposal will work. A lot of PC component buyers and users are empty headed drones with Fisher Price tools and they are first to spread all the controversies. NVidia must be sure that these drones are not gone rogue to do what they are best at - spread false information. While there is always a better way - usually the one that satisfies most people is chosen. Sadly in some cases as alternatives are as good or better.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
First Oc'ing, now this....
I can see quite a number of enthusiast moving towards AMD from now.....
I mean.....everyone can use a jet engine in their casing :p

On a more serious note, would this affect the launch dates of cards? cause honestly, not one Nvidia card has been on schedule to meet the competition since the GT200s

threehosts

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
[citation][nom]EDVINASM[/nom]Sounds good however, then NVidia will be blamed for spying on your PC :) PR has to be sure their proposal will work. A lot of PC component buyers and users are empty headed drones with Fisher Price tools and they are first to spread all the controversies. NVidia must be sure that these drones are not gone rogue to do what they are best at - spread false information. While there is always a better way - usually the one that satisfies most people is chosen. Sadly in some cases as alternatives are as good or better.[/citation]

Actually I would consider it a good thing if data on a large collection of GPUs were collected anonymously. That would give interesting statistical information on what those GPUs really can take in real life which I would consider to be quite useful information.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Bright Side of News said that EVGA was one of the first to feel Nvidia's whip and had to remove the EVBot voltage control tool from the EVGA GTX 680 Classified.

This won't be too good for Nvidia given that AMD's line seems to cost less and as far as I know they don't have anything like this. Restrictions like this and it might keep some of the high end enthusiasts way from Nvidia's offerings.

Why bother spending more for a card then spending even more money and time in modding it? It doesn't make logical sense for the buyer.

teaser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
this doesnt mean there wont be overclocked/overvolted models of new cards it just means(from what I read elsewhere).......that the company making a new overclocked /overvolted card has to warrenty the card themselves,not nvidia........

G

my gtx 670 overclocks by 340mhz at stock voltage, pushing its performance way past a stock 680, not to mention the memory runs 500 mhz faster than stock speeds. I can understand why nvidia is doing this, to put a damper on all the people wo ruin their card with shoddy overclocking and then rma the card.

mavroxur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Yup... Nvidia is becoming more and more like Apple: authoritarian and obnoxious. I hope they stop this crap for the GTX 7xx and later series cards.[/citation]

So it's authoritarian and obnoxious to have some sort of QC over how your name is used? Don't get me wrong, i'd never go out on a limb to defend Crapple, but that statement just seems a little over-reaching.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]teaser[/nom]this doesnt mean there wont be overclocked/overvolted models of new cards it just means(from what I read elsewhere).......that the company making a new overclocked /overvolted card has to warrenty the card themselves,not nvidia........[/citation]
what they are pretty much telling you is they won't allow overclocking if they don't agree with it, but will still charge more than their competion. (AMD)

All the designs have to be submitted to Nvidia and if Nividia doesn't like the design, then they can't sell it. I am currently not aware of AMD forcing their partners to anything like this. This just gives AMD more ammo.

This is not as bad as you make it seem. If nVidia were too draconian about it, they know they'd just chase buyers over to AMD. I think this is being done to ensure a certain level of quality and longevity in factory cards. It says nothing about limiting what buyers can do to a card (e.g. with Afterburner) after they've bought it.

evga is overrated. not to mention evga charges 200 dollars for that evbot. msi let you overvolt with software but thats coming to a end

Status
Not open for further replies.