paper weight conusion.

I got what was advertised as "smooth" "premium" uncoated photo paper.
It was advertised as 80# weight, but when I got it, it only feels like
24#. Seller claims it is fine. Did I get ripped?

quoting:
> > I got what was advertised as "smooth" "premium" uncoated photo
paper.
> > It was advertised as 80# weight, but when I got it, it only feels
like
> > 24#. Seller claims it is fine. Did I get ripped?
> >

> The jargon used by various manufactures of printer papers leaves a
lot
> to be desired. There's "lbs", "mils", "g/m2", etc.
>
> However, "#" is a new one on me. Such designation as "#" doesn't
appear
> on any paper I own. Is this a UK used term?

Seller actually said 80lbs, the package shows 80# . The paper is only
as thick as 24lb plain paper would be. It's actual measurement was
about .0035" to .004" with digital calipers.

jason.mangiafico@verizon.net wrote:

> I got what was advertised as "smooth" "premium" uncoated photo paper.
> It was advertised as 80# weight, but when I got it, it only feels like
> 24#. Seller claims it is fine. Did I get ripped?

The jargon used by various manufactures of printer papers leaves a lot
to be desired. There's "lbs", "mils", "g/m2", etc.

However, "#" is a new one on me. Such designation as "#" doesn't appear
on any paper I own. Is this a UK used term?

-Taliesyn

jason.mangiafico@verizon.net wrote:
> quoting:
>
>>>I got what was advertised as "smooth" "premium" uncoated photo
>
> paper.
>
>>>It was advertised as 80# weight, but when I got it, it only feels
>
> like
>
>>>24#. Seller claims it is fine. Did I get ripped?
>>>

>>The jargon used by various manufactures of printer papers leaves a
>
> lot
>
>>to be desired. There's "lbs", "mils", "g/m2", etc.
>>
>>However, "#" is a new one on me. Such designation as "#" doesn't
>
> appear
>
>>on any paper I own. Is this a UK used term?
>

> Seller actually said 80lbs, the package shows 80# . The paper is only
> as thick as 24lb plain paper would be. It's actual measurement was
> about .0035" to .004" with digital calipers.

# (number symbol) is often use as a symbol for pound, but I
haven't seen it used on a ream of paper, but my experience
is limited. However 80 g/meter squared is about right for
24 lb paper. Maybe somebody got mixed up.

If you wanted 80 pound paper and thought that 80# meant 80
pound paper, tell the seller and get your money back. Tell
him it is falsely marked, which is illegal.

Taliesyn wrote:
> jason.mangiafico@verizon.net wrote:
>
>> I got what was advertised as "smooth" "premium" uncoated photo paper.
>> It was advertised as 80# weight, but when I got it, it only feels
>> like 24#. Seller claims it is fine. Did I get ripped?
>>

> The jargon used by various manufactures of printer papers leaves a lot
> to be desired. There's "lbs", "mils", "g/m2", etc.
>
> However, "#" is a new one on me. Such designation as "#" doesn't
> appear on any paper I own. Is this a UK used term?
>
> -Taliesyn

No, it isn't - but the OP isn't in the UK (Verizon is an American ISP, last
I checked). We use the ISO standard ('A' sizes for standard paper (A8-A0)
then 'B' for things like broadsheet and tabloid and then 'C' for envelopes,
though the standard 'business' envelope is DL which takes a (portrait) A4
sheet folded in thirds along the width). It makes working things out so much
easier (A4 is half A3, A5 half A4, and so on).
on salads.

There is a degree of confusion regarding paper weights.

It depends what classification of paper you are talking about.

See http://www.paper-paper.com/weight.html for some help with
understanding the different ways of measuring different kinds of
paper.

Of course, there's always the simple fact that maybe someone didn't
know what they were talking about and just mislabeled. . . with the
best of intentions, of course.

Sometimes Occam's Razor works quite well.

Pixmaker in FLL
==========================
It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
==========================
(...Think the humidity's bad?
You should watch us vote!)

Taliesyn wrote:
> jason.mangiafico@verizon.net wrote:
>
>> I got what was advertised as "smooth" "premium" uncoated photo paper.
>> It was advertised as 80# weight, but when I got it, it only feels
>> like 24#. Seller claims it is fine. Did I get ripped?
>>

> The jargon used by various manufactures of printer papers leaves a lot
> to be desired. There's "lbs", "mils", "g/m2", etc.
>
> However, "#" is a new one on me. Such designation as "#" doesn't
> appear on any paper I own. Is this a UK used term?
>
> -Taliesyn

My apologies, I've not yet had my coffee this morning! I've no idea why I'm
rabbiting on about paper /sizes/ when the discussion is on paper /weights/!
We measure in g/m² (standard weight is 80g/m², though for 'bonded' paper
weights can be anything up to 120g/m²).

I know how much a sheet of all the standard weights weighs (a sheet of
80g/m², for example, weighs around 4g, therefore a sheet of 100g/m² would
weigh about 5g) so I could tell if I was being sold short.

on salads.

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> schreef in bericht
> Taliesyn wrote:
> > jason.mangiafico@verizon.net wrote:
> >
> >> I got what was advertised as "smooth" "premium" uncoated photo paper.
> >> It was advertised as 80# weight, but when I got it, it only feels
> >> like 24#. Seller claims it is fine. Did I get ripped?
> >>

> > The jargon used by various manufactures of printer papers leaves a lot
> > to be desired. There's "lbs", "mils", "g/m2", etc.
> >
> > However, "#" is a new one on me. Such designation as "#" doesn't
> > appear on any paper I own. Is this a UK used term?
> >
> > -Taliesyn
>

> My apologies, I've not yet had my coffee this morning! I've no idea why
I'm
> rabbiting on about paper /sizes/ when the discussion is on paper
/weights/!
> We measure in g/m² (standard weight is 80g/m², though for 'bonded' paper
> weights can be anything up to 120g/m²).
>
> I know how much a sheet of all the standard weights weighs (a sheet of
> 80g/m², for example, weighs around 4g, therefore a sheet of 100g/m² would
> weigh about 5g) so I could tell if I was being sold short.

Maybe it's time for some more coffee, I'll stick to tea.
The question refers to photo paper ("smooth" "premium" uncoated photo
paper).
Photopaper of 240 g/m2 is quite normal.
This is 3 times the standard printing paper.
So, if the 24# is the 80 g/m2, than the 80# is about 250 g/m2.
My conclusion should be that Jason got ripped.

OB

Pixmaker wrote:
> There is a degree of confusion regarding paper weights.
>
> It depends what classification of paper you are talking about.
>
> See http://www.paper-paper.com/weight.html for some help with
> understanding the different ways of measuring different kinds of
> paper.
>
> Of course, there's always the simple fact that maybe someone didn't
> know what they were talking about and just mislabeled. . . with the
> best of intentions, of course.
>
> Sometimes Occam's Razor works quite well.
>
> Pixmaker in FLL
> ==========================
> It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
> ==========================
> (...Think the humidity's bad?
> You should watch us vote!)

Sorry, but there is no confusion - g/m² is the ISO standard - it's just that
you lot refuse to adopt it. Standard office paper is 80g/m².
on salads.

My answer was intended to clarify. . . explain. . . teach.

Maybe you're happy with grams per square meter. That's nice. . .and
accurate. There's much to be said for that type of standardization. It
surely makes comparisons easy.

Others will gladly use the notation gm/m² and will understand
perfectly well what each means. The two expressions are equivalent in
most technical and scientific circles and connote area rather than a
particular format. Since we're talking weight, who cares what the size
is. . . it could be a perforator roll as long as its area totals one
square meter. That's what makes the g/m² so nice and absolute.

The printing industry uses standards based on the English system of
measurement and gets along rather well with it. In this case, the
weight is derived from sheets of paper of a particular size. (I guess
the guys in the bond paper factory didn't talk to the guys in the
offset stock plant). <G> I suggest that, if one wishes to jump into
any industry, it might be really neat to understand the terminology or
jargon of that industry. When in Rome . . .

And it really helps when you're trying to communicate with someone who
works in that particular industry. Absolute standardization might be a
noble objective but it's very difficult to change traditional ways.

As an example, despite the pressure to "go metric", most everyday
things are still measured in inches and feet and donuts are still sold
by the dozen. Now, if you want to talk about hot dog rolls, that's an
entirely different measurement system!

Whatever floats your boat.

Pixmaker in FLL
==========================
It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
==========================
(...Think the humidity's bad?
You should watch us vote!)

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

Miss Perspicacia Tick <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:

> My apologies, I've not yet had my coffee this morning! I've no idea why I'm
> rabbiting on about paper /sizes/ when the discussion is on paper /weights/!

OK, but for the sake of the discussion, let's keep in mind what you said
there:

>> (A4 is half A3, A5 half A4, and so on).

All true, of course. Then...

> We measure in g/m" (standard weight is 80g/m",...

which is also right. But now...

> I know how much a sheet of all the standard weights weighs (a sheet of
> 80g/m", for example, weighs around 4g

....here we find another apparent sign of coffee-deficit.

Given that A4 is half of A3, etc., then it takes 16 sheets of A4 to
equal one sheet of A0. Given further that the definition of A0 is that
it is one square metre, then if 'standard' paper weighs 80g/sq m it
follows that one A0 sheet weighs 80g. Thus, one A4 sheet weighs 1/16 of
80g, or five grams--not four.

cheers,

Henry

Not to muddy the waters here, but some time ago I ask a friend who owned a
Sir Speedy printing help in understanding the various classifications of
papers and how they are measured. What follows is his attempt to answer it.

He describes the difference between bone, book and cover papers.

He refers to pound as "#."

We, as users and consumers, think of paper in terms of 8.5 x 11 inches. This
is natural.

However, paper weight is defined as the weight of 500 sheets of "parent
size". Herein lies the problem. The various kinds of paper have different
parent sizes. Only God and Ben Franklin know why.

Bond paper, a.k.a. copy paper has a parent size of 17 x 22 inches.

Book, a.k.a. text or offset has a parent size of 25 x38 inches.

Cover has a parent size of 20 x 26 inches

Example:

500 sheets of 20# bond (copy) paper that measures 17 x 22 weighs 20#.

500 sheets of 50# book (text) paper that measures 25 x 38 weighs 50#.

500 sheets of 40# cover stock that measures 20 x 26 weighs 40#.

Reduced to the same measurement, say 8.5 x 11, both 20# bond and 50# book
(text) papers weigh nearly the same. Calculating the square inches of the
parent sizes bears this out.

Thus, you may see a ream of 500 sheets of 8.5 x 11 marked 20/50 #. Some
better resume paper is marked 24/60#. Obviously, they are saying, "This
paper weight is equivalent to 24# bond or 60# text.

The paper companies provide tables of "equivalent weights" for us to use.

E.g. 28# bond is equivalent to 70# book or 40# cover.

40# book or 16# bond is so light that only use is for bulk mailing where
weight saves postage.

40# cover used to be very rare until computer printers and color copiers
couldn't handle the stiff regular covers, so the lighter weight ones were
introduced.

--
Dave C.

c9ar9dar9elli@9c4.n9et

Remove the five 9's (leave the 4) for email.

"Pixmaker" <pixmaker@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My answer was intended to clarify. . . explain. . . teach.
>
> Maybe you're happy with grams per square meter. That's nice. . .and
> accurate. There's much to be said for that type of standardization. It
> surely makes comparisons easy.
>
> Others will gladly use the notation gm/m² and will understand
> perfectly well what each means. The two expressions are equivalent in
> most technical and scientific circles and connote area rather than a
> particular format. Since we're talking weight, who cares what the size
> is. . . it could be a perforator roll as long as its area totals one
> square meter. That's what makes the g/m² so nice and absolute.
>
> The printing industry uses standards based on the English system of
> measurement and gets along rather well with it. In this case, the
> weight is derived from sheets of paper of a particular size. (I guess
> the guys in the bond paper factory didn't talk to the guys in the
> offset stock plant). <G> I suggest that, if one wishes to jump into
> any industry, it might be really neat to understand the terminology or
> jargon of that industry. When in Rome . . .
>
> And it really helps when you're trying to communicate with someone who
> works in that particular industry. Absolute standardization might be a
> noble objective but it's very difficult to change traditional ways.
>
> As an example, despite the pressure to "go metric", most everyday
> things are still measured in inches and feet and donuts are still sold
> by the dozen. Now, if you want to talk about hot dog rolls, that's an
> entirely different measurement system!
>
> Whatever floats your boat.
>
> Pixmaker in FLL
> ==========================
> It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
> ==========================
> (...Think the humidity's bad?
> You should watch us vote!)

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

Miss Perspicacia Tick <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:

> Henry wrote:

> > the definition of A0 is that
> > it is one square metre

> Actually, A0 is *NOT* 1m" - according to my table of paper sizes - because
> all paper is rectangular *NOT* square - it's 841mmx1189mm (or 0.841mx
> 1.189m). Given that A4 is 210mmx297mm - OK, I concede, it's as near as
> damnit - but I'm a pedant.

You'll note I never said A0 is one metre square--I said it is one square
metre. The locution 'metre square', as you suggest, refers to the
_dimensions_ of the object. Of course this paper is not square. However,
the locution 'square metre' refers to the _area_ of the object and, as I
said, the definition of the 'A' series standard size is that the base,
A0, is one square metre with a width-to-height ratio of .707070707...

cheers,

Henry

In article <aMsJd.9$21.5@fe81.usenetserver.com>,
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:

> Sorry, but there is no confusion - g/m² is the ISO standard - it's just that
> you lot refuse to adopt it. Standard office paper is 80g/m².

Grams per SQUARE meter is the ISO standard, yes. gsm for short, or
g/m(2) (that would be a superscript 2; yours came out a quote mark).

In article <41f6b84e.0@paperboy.c4.net>,
"Dave C." <c9ar9dar9elli@9c4.n9et> wrote:

> However, paper weight is defined as the weight of 500 sheets of "parent
> size". Herein lies the problem. The various kinds of paper have different
> parent sizes. Only God and Ben Franklin know why.

Also called the basis weight.

Pixmaker <pixmaker@comcast.net> wrote:

> As an example, despite the pressure to "go metric", most everyday
> things are still measured in inches and feet and donuts are still sold
> by the dozen.

.... in the USA!!!

This is an international newsgroup, just about everyone else,
including us here in the UK, uses metric measurements. I've certainly
only seen gms/m2 paper weights here in the UK.

(... and I grew up when we were still using lbs., I still think in
lbs. and ozs. for cooking etc.)

--
Chris Green

Henry wrote:
> Miss Perspicacia Tick <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:
>
>> Henry wrote:
>
>>> the definition of A0 is that
>>> it is one square metre
>
>> Actually, A0 is *NOT* 1m" - according to my table of paper sizes -
>> because all paper is rectangular *NOT* square - it's 841mmx1189mm
>> (or 0.841mx
>> 1.189m). Given that A4 is 210mmx297mm - OK, I concede, it's as near
>> as damnit - but I'm a pedant.
>
> You'll note I never said A0 is one metre square--I said it is one
> square metre. The locution 'metre square', as you suggest, refers to
> the _dimensions_ of the object. Of course this paper is not square.
> However, the locution 'square metre' refers to the _area_ of the
> object and, as I said, the definition of the 'A' series standard size
> is that the base, A0, is one square metre with a width-to-height
> ratio of .707070707...
>
> cheers,
>
> Henry

Still say you're arguing semantics. ;o) But I will accept it.
on salads.

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <aMsJd.9$21.5@fe81.usenetserver.com>,
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, but there is no confusion - g/m² is the ISO standard - it's
>> just that you lot refuse to adopt it. Standard office paper is
>> 80g/m².
>
> Grams per SQUARE meter is the ISO standard, yes. gsm for short, or
> g/m(2) (that would be a superscript 2; yours came out a quote mark).

Your settings must be set incorrectly if you can't see ASCII characters.
on salads.

The "#" sign is used to refer to pounds, or lbs. You'll often hear on a
telephone voicemail system to "press the pound key on your telephone
key pad", referring to the "#" symbol.

As to how pounds (or lbs.) are determined on paper, it is very
confusing, which is why many have gone to using g/m2 or mils.

Of course, it started in the UK, as most of these illogical measuring
systems did.

When the only people who cared about paper weight other than 20 lb.
bond, the jargon was used by printers and they knew what they were
referring to. But now that all sorts of paper are used by lay people,
they really ought to get rid of the lbs. paper weights.

The way they are determined is based upon the weight of one ream of the
paper at master cut paper size. That wouldn't be a problem is all paper
types used the same master size, but they don't. They can be 20 x 26",
25 x 38", 17 x 22" and many other "standard" sizes.

Bond, book, text, card, cover, fine art and other papers use different
size cut master sheets, and therefore, the 500 sheets weight a different
amount. So you could have a bond paper at 20 pounds which in text stock
may be 50 pounds.

So, in the case of the poster, if the paper he bought was in the second
category below (Offset, book, text or coated paper) an 80 pound stock
would be equivalent to about 30 pounds bond. An 80 pound Tag paper is
about 35 pound bond. An 80 pound cover is about 58 pound bond, and an
80 pound index stock is about 38 pound bond.

For a more complete set of comparisons, go to:

http://www.paper-paper.com/weight.html

The chart below was adapted from the website.

Basis Weight ("Category") Table

Basic Size - 500 Sheets 17" x 22"
Type Paper: "Bond", Ledger, Mimeo, Duplicator, Rag Paper

Basic Size - 500 Sheets 25" x 38"
Type Paper: "Offset", Book, Text, Coated Paper

Basic Size - 500 Sheets 20" x 26"
Type Paper: "Cover"

Basic Size - 500 Sheets 24" x 36"
Type Paper: "Tag Stock"

Basic Size - 500 Sheets 25-1/2" x 30-1/2"
Type Paper: "Index"

Taliesyn wrote:

> jason.mangiafico@verizon.net wrote:
>
>> I got what was advertised as "smooth" "premium" uncoated photo paper.
>> It was advertised as 80# weight, but when I got it, it only feels like
>> 24#. Seller claims it is fine. Did I get ripped?
>>

> The jargon used by various manufactures of printer papers leaves a lot
> to be desired. There's "lbs", "mils", "g/m2", etc.
>
> However, "#" is a new one on me. Such designation as "#" doesn't appear
> on any paper I own. Is this a UK used term?
>
> -Taliesyn

A 80 pound text/offset stock should have a thickness of about .0061", so
that seems low, especially for an uncoated stock. Coatings are usually
heavier than the paper base, because most "coated" paper in the printing
industry is clay-coated, using a kaolin clay, which makes the paper
considerably heavier without adding much thickness to it.

If your caliper is accurate and you didn't "crush" the paper when
measuring it, I'd say someone is likely hyping this paper. And that's
at offset/text paper. Any other would be even worse.

For instance, an 80 pound Tag would be about .0062", and 80 pound index
would be about .0072" and an 80 pound cover would be about .0092".

Art

jason.mangiafico@verizon.net wrote:

> quoting:
>
>>>I got what was advertised as "smooth" "premium" uncoated photo
>
> paper.
>
>>>It was advertised as 80# weight, but when I got it, it only feels
>
> like
>
>>>24#. Seller claims it is fine. Did I get ripped?
>>>

>>The jargon used by various manufactures of printer papers leaves a
>
> lot
>
>>to be desired. There's "lbs", "mils", "g/m2", etc.
>>
>>However, "#" is a new one on me. Such designation as "#" doesn't
>
> appear
>
>>on any paper I own. Is this a UK used term?
>

> Seller actually said 80lbs, the package shows 80# . The paper is only
> as thick as 24lb plain paper would be. It's actual measurement was
> about .0035" to .004" with digital calipers.

This is correct, 24 pound bond is about 90g/m2. But it is more likely
it was supposed to be an 80 pound offset or text, but at .0032" it isn't.

Art

George E. Cawthon wrote:

> jason.mangiafico@verizon.net wrote:
>
>> quoting:

>> paper.

>> like

>>> The jargon used by various manufactures of printer papers leaves a
>>

>> lot
>>
>>> to be desired. There's "lbs", "mils", "g/m2", etc.
>>>
>>> However, "#" is a new one on me. Such designation as "#" doesn't
>>

>> appear
>>
>>> on any paper I own. Is this a UK used term?
>>

>> Seller actually said 80lbs, the package shows 80# . The paper is only
>> as thick as 24lb plain paper would be. It's actual measurement was
>> about .0035" to .004" with digital calipers.
>>
> # (number symbol) is often use as a symbol for pound, but I haven't seen
> it used on a ream of paper, but my experience is limited. However 80
> g/meter squared is about right for 24 lb paper. Maybe somebody got mixed
> up.
>
> If you wanted 80 pound paper and thought that 80# meant 80 pound paper,
> tell the seller and get your money back. Tell him it is falsely marked,
> which is illegal.

I'm not quite sure what "uncoated photo paper" is.

Inkjet printers really require coatings to give the kind of detail
demanded of a photograph, especially with the typical amount of ink a
photo image requires.

Although there are some papers beginning to make their way out that are
not "coated", per say, but instead have the mordents mixed into the
paper pulp, I'm not sure they are being designated as "uncoated".

Art

OomBas wrote:

> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> schreef in bericht
>
>>Taliesyn wrote:

>>>The jargon used by various manufactures of printer papers leaves a lot
>>>to be desired. There's "lbs", "mils", "g/m2", etc.
>>>
>>>However, "#" is a new one on me. Such designation as "#" doesn't
>>>appear on any paper I own. Is this a UK used term?
>>>
>>>-Taliesyn
>>

>>My apologies, I've not yet had my coffee this morning! I've no idea why
>
> I'm
>
>>rabbiting on about paper /sizes/ when the discussion is on paper
>
> /weights/!
>
>>We measure in g/m² (standard weight is 80g/m², though for 'bonded' paper
>>weights can be anything up to 120g/m²).
>>
>>I know how much a sheet of all the standard weights weighs (a sheet of
>>80g/m², for example, weighs around 4g, therefore a sheet of 100g/m² would
>>weigh about 5g) so I could tell if I was being sold short.
>>

> Maybe it's time for some more coffee, I'll stick to tea.
> The question refers to photo paper ("smooth" "premium" uncoated photo
> paper).
> Photopaper of 240 g/m2 is quite normal.
> This is 3 times the standard printing paper.
> So, if the 24# is the 80 g/m2, than the 80# is about 250 g/m2.
> My conclusion should be that Jason got ripped.
>
> OB

Great minds think alike... I just saw your posting... I came upon the
same URL.

Art