Epson 2200: question on purchasing used

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have the option of buying a lightly used Epson 2200 that has sat
unused for the last year.

Will I have a problem with the ink nozzles being clogged?

Does the ink last for over one year in the printer or will I need to
replace all the cartridges at this point?

How often should the printer be run to keep the inks and nozzles working
properly?

Any suggestions on a fair price?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Jerry

Jerry,

I have an Epson 2200 and it is great. I haven't let mine go a year without
printing, but have gone about 4 weeks. In the year and a half that I have
had it I have never had to run a cleaning cycle on it. I used to run
cleaning cycles all the time on my HP 1220.

If the price is right, pick it up. I bet you that it will work fine right
off, or with a cleaning cycle.

Kirk

"Jerry" <jerrym@sonic.net> wrote in message
>I have the option of buying a lightly used Epson 2200 that has sat unused
>for the last year.
>
> Will I have a problem with the ink nozzles being clogged?
>
> Does the ink last for over one year in the printer or will I need to
> replace all the cartridges at this point?
>
> How often should the printer be run to keep the inks and nozzles working
> properly?
>
> Any suggestions on a fair price?
>
> Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
> Jerry

"Jerry" <jerrym@sonic.net> wrote in message
> I have the option of buying a lightly used Epson 2200 that has sat
> unused for the last year.
>
> Will I have a problem with the ink nozzles being clogged?

Have them demo it for you if possible.

I have the European version - 2100 and it's a good if slightly slow printer.

Jerry wrote:

> I have the option of buying a lightly used Epson 2200 that has sat
> unused for the last year.
>
> Will I have a problem with the ink nozzles being clogged?

Almost definitely. If the person removed the cartridges, absolutely.
If he did not, likely but might be easier to get started again.

Unless he flushed the ink out of the heads with a cleaner and then kept
the cartridges out, it will likely be clogged.

> Does the ink last for over one year in the printer or will I need to
> replace all the cartridges at this point?

Not likely. The Ultrachrome inks use pigment colorant and resins.
Although the Epson cartridges are designed to seal and not allow
additional air in, if they already had air due to being partially used,
they likely will be compromised. You can always try them, and you may
be able to add some solvent to slightly dilute the inks, but then the
profiles will not be accurate. If you don't care about exact color in
the beginning, you may be able to get away with this.

> How often should the printer be run to keep the inks and nozzles working
> properly?

It's hard to say. With fresh ink, clean nozzles and a cleaned cleaning
station, you may be able to let it sit for weeks or even months, but if
the printer hasn't had any cleaning done before, less.

BTW, if you decide to get it, send an email to me in private and request
the Epson Cleaning Manual. No cost, no spam, usually the instructions
can get most Epsons fully functional, although in a case like this it
might take some time.

> Any suggestions on a fair price?

I would ask the person to put the cartridges in, if they aren't already,
and then run some tests. If there are bad clogs, I would say there is
some risk. On occasion, a clogged head which was filled with ink and
then allowed to dry out for a year with no cartridge in it may be not
restorable, in which case, the printer will be of little use without a
new head. Under any circumstance, you will need to buy a new set of
cartridges, about $100 US.

You may wish to check ebay and see what previous weeks have gotten in
auction, keeping in mind the state of the heads might be bad on this
one. If the seller successfully gets the nozzle pattern perfect and can
prove it to you, that would go a long way to knowing the state of the
printer. If the unit is going to be shipped, it's big and heavy, so
consider that. It should be shipped with the cartridges installed, and
with the head unit/carriage locked down and parked on the cleaning
station and taped so that the head unit/carriage will not move during
shipping. Have a lot of foam used around the printer, but do NOT use
styrofoam popcorn unless the printer is well sealed in a plastic bag first..

Art