Windows won't start up!

Earlier today I ran a program called HiJackThis as well as the online
PestScan to search for spyware and it showed me the stuff that was in the
registry.

I deleted some stuff and turned off my computer and hours later when I came
back to my dorm, it would go only as far as to the blue screen with the
Windows XP logo. Basically, it's stopping before the login screen. I've
tried Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt,
the Directory Assistance thing (not 411 smarty butt), and Debug all to no
avail.

Do I need to reinstall Windows and can I still extract stuff from my hard
drive?
2 answers Last reply
More about windows start

    Try a Repair Install as follows:
    NOTE, while a repair install should leave your data files intact, if
    something goes wrong during the repair install, you may be forced to start
    over and do a clean install of XP. If you don't have your data backed up,
    you would lose your data should that eventuality occur.

    Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive and you have an
    actual XP CD as opposed to a recovery CD, boot with the XP
    CD in the drive and perform a repair install as outlined below. If the
    system isn't set to boot from the CD or you are not sure, you need to enter
    the system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
    instructions that if you wish to enter set press a specific key, when you
    see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
    the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
    your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

    When the system boots, a few screens into the process you may see a message
    instructing you
    to hit any key in order to boot from the CD along with a countdown. When
    you see this be sure to
    hit a key on the keyboard, if you miss this instruction and the system fails
    to boot from the CD, it's too
    late, you'll need to reboot and try again.

    Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
    asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

    Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
    with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
    using the Recovery console. ***The selection you want at this screen is
    "Setup Windows,"
    NOT "Repair Windows Installation.

    The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
    press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
    will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
    on, follow the screens.

    Note, in some cases, you won't receive the repair option, only an option to
    reinstall. We have discovered that sometimes this is caused by damaged
    boot.ini file that can be repaired as follows and also note, in the
    instructions, "K" refers to the CD drive in which you have placed the XP CD,
    replace that drive letter with the appropriate letter on your system, "K" is
    simply an example.

    Reboot, this time taking the immediate R option (this is the section I told
    you to skip above. In this case, you will need to get to the Recovery
    Console to perform the function below), and if the CD letter is say K: give
    these commands

    COPY K:\i386\ntldr C:
    COPY K:\i386\ntdetect.com C:
    (two other files needed - just in case)
    ATTRIB -H -R -S C:\boot.ini
    DEL C:\boot.ini
    BootCfg /Rebuild

    Once you've completed this function, reboot and see if you can access XP as
    sometimes, the problem is the damaged boot.ini. If you still cannot access
    XP, then reboot and re-run the repair install instructions at the beginning
    of this message.

    If you only have a recovery CD, your options are quite limited. You can
    either purchase a retail version of XP which will allow you to perform the
    above
    among other tools and options it has or you can run your system recovery
    routine with the Recovery CD which will likely wipe your drive, deleting all
    files but will restore your setup to factory fresh condition.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "MrPenguin" <MrPenguin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Earlier today I ran a program called HiJackThis as well as the online
    > PestScan to search for spyware and it showed me the stuff that was in the
    > registry.
    >
    > I deleted some stuff and turned off my computer and hours later when I
    > came
    > back to my dorm, it would go only as far as to the blue screen with the
    > Windows XP logo. Basically, it's stopping before the login screen. I've
    > tried Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt,
    > the Directory Assistance thing (not 411 smarty butt), and Debug all to no
    > avail.
    >
    > Do I need to reinstall Windows and can I still extract stuff from my hard
    > drive?

    Don't get frightened to use antispyware after this failure.
    Get an outstanding free software from http://www.lavasoftusa.com, and just
    in case always make sure quarantine the deletes you make so u can recover if
    there will be a failiure

    "MrPenguin" wrote:

    > Earlier today I ran a program called HiJackThis as well as the online
    > PestScan to search for spyware and it showed me the stuff that was in the
    > registry.
    >
    > I deleted some stuff and turned off my computer and hours later when I came
    > back to my dorm, it would go only as far as to the blue screen with the
    > Windows XP logo. Basically, it's stopping before the login screen. I've
    > tried Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt,
    > the Directory Assistance thing (not 411 smarty butt), and Debug all to no
    > avail.
    >
    > Do I need to reinstall Windows and can I still extract stuff from my hard
    > drive?

Safe Mode Windows XP