480W PSU adequate for this setup??

blazesofhell

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Hey everyone, first time poster right here...I've been browsing these forums quite a bit lately trying to figure out exactly what kind of gaming system to build in the near future - I've come up with the following:

AMD A64 3700+ (single core, duh)
ASUS A8N-E ATX mobo
Corsair XMS 2GB (2x1GB) PC3200
eVGA 7900GT CO 256MB
NEC 3550a DVD-RW
Seagate 200GB ATA
Antec Truepower 2.0 480W

My question is this: Will that Antec 480W PSU safely and stably power that rig? I've read a ton of reviews for that PSU and theyre all very very positive. But when I check around on these forums and see other people with similar setups, they have PSUs ranging from 550W to 700W.

Money is a bit of an issue...I'd rather stay under the $90-100 price level (the Antec TPII 480W is about 80 on pricegrabber).

Also, any potential changes/upgrades I should make before clicking the big buy button?

(And for the hard drive nitpickers, I plan on upgrading to SATAII once I get a bit more coin - but I can live with ATA drives for the near future)

delanooch

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Check out the setup below, notice also I have a 500w PSU, this is the result of RMA'ing my 535w Enermax 2 times before the engineer at Coolergiant looked at my specs and recommended going with this PSU (at no cost to me of course) I could have upgraded to the 620w model but I rarely overclock if ever, no real need to because I "play" video games.

So far I have no complaints and both of my video cards are actually OC'd slightly from the factory. Little to no heat generated from my PSU everything is very stable.

Bottom line, you are fine with that PSU, hell I had an AMD64 3800, 2 6800 GT's etc... running fine off of an Antec NeoPower PSU for quite some time. It was 480w.

blazesofhell

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Thanks for all the help, everyone - now that I have the PSU nailed down, it's all a matter of buying the parts and waiting for everything to get here! :D