Can 3 small offices can be connected by VoIP?. How?

santa

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

Guys:

We have 3 small office (less than 10 people in each office), we are
using regular PSTN lines and PBX inside the office to connect
everybody, we have broadband Internet now, can we use VoIP to connect
all 3 offices and this way can we disconnect PSTN service?.

What are the equipment required, who are vendors and how?.

Thanks in advance

Santa wrote:
> Guys:
>
> We have 3 small office (less than 10 people in each office), we are
> using regular PSTN lines and PBX inside the office to connect
> everybody, we have broadband Internet now, can we use VoIP to connect
> all 3 offices and this way can we disconnect PSTN service?.
>
> What are the equipment required, who are vendors and how?.

yes, this can be done. How, and how much it will cost, depends on many
things.
Are you really using a PBX at each location, or are the actually "key"
systems, such as the Avaya Partner or Panasonic KX line?
How tightly do you want the solution to be integrated with your current
PBX systems?

The solution can be as simple as dropping an IP phone or two onto the
LAN at each location. Need to call the remote office? Pick up the IP
phone and call.

A slightly more elegant solution would be to integrate the IP gateway
with your current systems, using spare FXO and FXS ports, assuming such
exist. That way, users don't have to have two phones on their desk and
hopefully, you will be able to employ some rudimentary LCR rules to
ensure that the inter-office traffic goes via the VOIP gateway.

You will be hard pressed to find a more economical solution than one
built on the open-source "asterisk" system.

santa

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

It is tradinitional PBX, there is a outside telephone to PBX and
everybody is connected to PBX. One office had Cable modem and other
two offices had dialup internet connection, but this dialup is always
connected. Can this VoIP connected in this way?.

Santa wrote:
> It is tradinitional PBX, there is a outside telephone to PBX and
> everybody is connected to PBX. One office had Cable modem and other
> two offices had dialup internet connection, but this dialup is always
> connected. Can this VoIP connected in this way?.

Dial-up is NOT broadband. Unless the two offices on dial-up never use
that connection for anything else while a VOIP connection is up, and
you're willing to live with the audio quality that heavy compression
yields, you should probably avoid VOIP.

Santa wrote:

> It is tradinitional PBX, there is a outside telephone to PBX and
> everybody is connected to PBX. One office had Cable modem and other
> two offices had dialup internet connection, but this dialup is always
> connected. Can this VoIP connected in this way?.

AFAIK, a VoIP connection with an adequate audio will require at least a
2KBps (~16Kbps) in each up/down stream. So long as your dial-up connection
is dedicated to VoIP, you should not have a problem with the audio from the
VoIP. The minute you start accessing the Internet, i.e. web browsing, using
the same dial-up line for the VoIP, your VoIP connection will become choppy
or even lost.

--
root/administrator

TRENDING THREADS