Your question

Another question about Conroe

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Support
  • Cache
Last response: in CPUs
April 11, 2006 11:17:01 AM

What is the most important thing that makes Conroe faster than FX60 and the new FX62 :?: Is it the movement to 65 nanometer, the L3 cache or the drr2-800mhz support at low latencies :?:

I repeat the most important...

More about : question conroe

April 11, 2006 11:22:01 AM

Quote:
What is the most important thing that makes Conroe faster than FX60 and the new FX62 :?: Is it the movement to 65 nanometer, the L3 cache or the drr2-800mhz support at low latencies :?:

1. Conroe does not have L3.
2. The memory, whatever type, speed and latency is, does nothing. It is the chips that are using it.
3. It is not the production process.

The architecture of this chip is making it perform fast, you can find simple explanations on www.intel.com and if you try googling you will find a lot more about Core architecture
April 11, 2006 11:30:40 AM

Quote:

1. Conroe does not have L3.
2. The memory, whatever type, speed and latency is, does nothing. It is the chips that are using it.
3. It is not the production process.

The architecture of this chip is making it perform fast, you can find simple explanations on www.intel.com and if you try googling you will find a lot more about Core architecture

When you say the architecture what exactly do you mean? Are you talking about the FSB and the biger L2 cache ??
Related resources
April 11, 2006 11:45:38 AM

I told you taht there are a lot of articles about K8 and Core architecture. I will lost a lot of time explaning it to you becouse both are complicated and have big history and probably I will tell you less than what you can learn from those articles.
In short words: Core is very similar to K8 and P3 and is different from Netburst(P4). There are topics on this forum and a lot of discussions about this architecture, so you should try searching first before you reopen an already disscused topic. And this multiple reopening same topics is a kind of a tradition on this forum
April 11, 2006 12:09:42 PM

Quote:
When you say the architecture what exactly do you mean? Are you talking about the FSB and the biger L2 cache ??

Here is an in-depth analysis of the "Core Microarchitecture" on which Conroe, Merom and Woodcrest are based.

No benchmarks but a lot of block diagrams and a very technical discussion.
April 11, 2006 12:18:14 PM

There is no simple answer. When you take higher level EE/Architecture courses, you will learn that it very rarely is one discovery or improvement that causes a 50% jump in performance... it is a confluence, a combination of many different things and ideas working in concert.

Cheers!
April 11, 2006 12:43:33 PM

Quote:

Neither. It's the new low-pipelined architecture.
April 11, 2006 12:59:44 PM

So conroe architecture is the reason that is faster and the battle of dual core cpus is going to finish with intel being the final winner! What about quad core? Who is going to be the best intel or amd ?? Maybe you don't know yet but i would like to hear your opinions..
April 11, 2006 1:05:48 PM

Quote:
So conroe architecture is the reason that is faster and the battle of dual core cpus is going to finish with intel being the final winner! What about quad core? Who is going to be the best intel or amd ?? Maybe you don't know yet but i would like to hear your opinions..

Intel will have 45nm by the time AMD has 65nm for quad-core. I have faith in blue once more..
April 11, 2006 1:22:42 PM

Quote:

Well the duel core battle isn't neccessarily over. While we should start seeing quad core chips in 2007, duel core will be mainstreams for a couple more years at least. It does appear that Intel is going to take the performance, power efficency, and price/performance crown with the release of this chip, but that is all speculation at this point, as promising as the leaked information looks.

Either way it should be good for technology enthusiasts because it will drive down the prices of other chips, and hey, improved performance is great no matter what company brings it.
April 11, 2006 1:37:01 PM

To be honest, i admire amd for the reason that it made intel wake up and compete. Imagine if amd didn't exist what cpus we would have now :!: Maybe something like pentium 5 4GHz without the multi core technologies etc..

Also the thinking of AMD to make inegrated memory controllers was very smart movement
April 11, 2006 2:04:00 PM

Quote:
To be honest, i admire amd for the reason that it made intel wake up and compete. Imagine if amd didn't exist what cpus we would have now :!: Maybe something like pentium 5 4GHz without the multi core technologies etc..

Also the thinking of AMD to make inegrated memory controllers was very smart movement

competition is the best part of capitolism. regardless, Intel should release a new architecture with an integrated memory controller to compete with anything new AMD has..
!