ASRock 939 Dual SATA2 Memory Failures

motorhed

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I built a new machine with an ASRock Dual SATA2 board, AMD 64 3200+ Venice, an eVGA 256 P2 N389-AX vidoe card, and Corsair VS1GBKIT400 memory. When running Memtest, I get HUGE errors on Test #6, moving inversions, 32 bit patterns. I tried different combinations of the memory and slots, flashed the BIOS and CMOS...no help. ASRock declared the board dead and I got a replacement, PLUS another gig of memory - same results.

Anyone have any ideas? Both Corsair and NewEgg say that the board and memory are compatible.

-Nick.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I built a new machine with an ASRock Dual SATA2 board, AMD 64 3200+ Venice, an eVGA 256 P2 N389-AX vidoe card, and Corsair VS1GBKIT400 memory. When running Memtest, I get HUGE errors on Test #6, moving inversions, 32 bit patterns. I tried different combinations of the memory and slots, flashed the BIOS and CMOS...no help. ASRock declared the board dead and I got a replacement, PLUS another gig of memory - same results.

Anyone have any ideas? Both Corsair and NewEgg say that the board and memory are compatible.

-Nick.

Run Prime95 with the "Blend" option for about 6-12 hours, if it doesn't error out, than f*ck MemTest. I got the same problem w/ my RAM, it errors in MemTest and runs Prime for 16 hours w/ no errors, and I haven't ever got 1 Blue-Screen that wasn't caused by Overclocking. Run Prime95 and see what happens.

PS: It MAY be the CPU, but that's a bit out there

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Check the memory settings in the bios. Also remember with the newer bios updates that the board sometimes defaults to the wrong RAM speeds. If you overclock--well kinda like what has been said before: memtest doesn't work well on OCed systems.

Reset the bios defaults, save and exit, THEN set the bios settings to how you need them to be set. You have BIOS ver. 1.6, right?

casewhite

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
There is one quirk in memory speed that I have run into. I am running an Opty 165 on mine overclocked to 2.3ghz. My memory is 4x512 Mushkin Level II black winbond BH-5. for some reason the board does not want to run faster than a base clock of 167 with 2 gigs of memory. That said if your memory timings are tight 2-2-2-5-2t you can still fly. My dhrystone is 21477 whetstone 9828 integer is 45575 and floating point is 49194. If you are trying to lock 200mhz in your bios settings, that will produce this. The ULI chipset seems to be overly sensitive to memory quality. I have only had good success with BH-5, UTT CH-5, and TCCD. Mushkin is still selling UTT BH-5 under part number 990927. Yes it is DDR333 but with voltage that doesn't matter and with the way this chipset seems to work best you won't care anyway.

motorhed

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Casewhite:

Once I get my eyeballs uncrossed, I'll try to figure out what you were trying to tell me.

:p

JK. I'll keep that in mind if I fail utterly. I was TRYING to keep this box around $600, but I might bite the bullet and go for a higher end board. If so, I'll avoid the ULI chipset.