URGENT! Quick responce please. (FSB Question)

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I now realise the motherboard's FBS is only 1000mhz while the CPUs is 2000mhz.

Is this gonna be a problem?

No, the HyperTransport bus provides ample bandwidth to the K8 architecture, I'm running the HT bus on my system at 951MHz (3x 317 instead of the stock 5x 200MHz) to no ill effect.

One would need to set a ridiculously low HT frequency before it start to starve the CPU and impact its performance.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
MHz is a frequency, so in reality, the marketing term "2000MHz" is a lie. Really, like, a slap in the face kind of lie. IE, someone should seek legal action.

AMD's HT bus is bi-directional. It runs at 1000MHz data rate via the HT protocol. Being bi-directional, you can have data moving in both directions at once, at full speed. IE, you can have 1000 bits per pathway per second moving in one direction while having 1000 bits per pathway per second moving in the other.

What this means to you is, you get twice the bandwidth, but at the same 1000MHz HT rate. Since it's "twice", they lie and call it 2000MHz.

Look at a normal highway, 4 lanes, two in each direction. Each side is, say, 70MPH. Having trafic travel in both directions allows TWICE THE TRAFIC FLOW, but the cars are STILL moving at 70MPH, NOT 140MPH.

So they lied, sue them.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
well it wouldnt be easier to type 1000mhz x 2, anyways everythign is doubled on a dual core so ppl are like....woah....this is double, that gonna be intels next marketing project when they cant sell Pentium D's, Pentium D 1040, its 6.8Ghz (3.4Ghz x 2) really fast, buy buy!!

lol