Sign in with
Your question

Please help - installed RAM but now gettign BSoD's!

Last response: in Memory
April 11, 2006 3:45:18 PM

Hi!

I installed an extra 512mb stick (DDR400) into my old backup machine yesterday. It already had 512mb (DDR333) in it, I assumed it would just run the new memory stick at 333 instead of 400.

What happens now is (on the odd occassion that it boots into Windows XP), it runs for maybe 3 mins then Blue Screen's on me.

If I take out the memory the problem goes away...funny that ;) 

I'm no expert so I now need to know whether this could be dodgy memory, or the fact that i mixed 2 generic sticks - someone told me today that you should only ever use matched pairs, D'oh! or could it be the fact that i mixed a DDR333 with a DDR400?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Sean
April 11, 2006 4:22:51 PM

Quote:
Hi!

I installed an extra 512mb stick (DDR400) into my old backup machine yesterday. It already had 512mb (DDR333) in it, I assumed it would just run the new memory stick at 333 instead of 400.

What happens now is (on the odd occassion that it boots into Windows XP), it runs for maybe 3 mins then Blue Screen's on me.

If I take out the memory the problem goes away...funny that ;) 

I'm no expert so I now need to know whether this could be dodgy memory, or the fact that i mixed 2 generic sticks - someone told me today that you should only ever use matched pairs, D'oh! or could it be the fact that i mixed a DDR333 with a DDR400?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Sean

Try Windows with just the DDR400 stick, check your BIOS and see if you can set it to force DDR333 (166MHz) speed. Try mixing the sticks around to see what happens.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
Related resources
!