Brother MFC-9600 Smears

Hi All:

I have a Brother MFC-9600 which I've used for the past few years and really
like. Lately (and all of a sudden) I've gotten a vertical stain of about
1/2" width running down the left margin of all printed/copied documents.
Sometimes it's darker than others but it almost looks like someone is riding
a bike with 1/2" tires down the left edge of the paper. I've done the Corona
wire thing several times and followed the other instructions in the manual.
There doesn't seem to be a pattern similar to this listed in the manual's
troubleshooting section.

The cartridge is a relatively new Brother high-yield but I'm wondering if it
could be the drum, although when I check it's useful life through the LCD
panel it shows 42%. I know this is approximate but I'm not really a heavy
user (maybe a couple of thousand copies each year AT THE MOST).

Does this kind of problem indicate a faulty drum?

Thanks in advance for any info.

=NLK=

Norman L. Kleinberg <someone@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I have a Brother MFC-9600 which I've used for the past few years and really
> like. Lately (and all of a sudden) I've gotten a vertical stain of about
> 1/2" width running down the left margin of all printed/copied documents.
> Sometimes it's darker than others but it almost looks like someone is riding
> a bike with 1/2" tires down the left edge of the paper. I've done the Corona
> wire thing several times and followed the other instructions in the manual.
> There doesn't seem to be a pattern similar to this listed in the manual's
> troubleshooting section.
>
> The cartridge is a relatively new Brother high-yield but I'm wondering if it
> could be the drum, although when I check it's useful life through the LCD
> panel it shows 42%. I know this is approximate but I'm not really a heavy
> user (maybe a couple of thousand copies each year AT THE MOST).
>
> Does this kind of problem indicate a faulty drum?

I had a Brother HL1060 laser printer until recently, similar vintage
and design to your MFC I think, if not identical.

I had similar problems, cleaned everything, replaced the drum, etc.
However I'm sorry to say I never managed to get it to print as cleanly
as it originally did. I've now sold it (I told the buyer about the
problems) and have an HP1150 which has, so far, performed faultlessly.

I'm not so keen on buying Brother printers now, though I admit a
sample of one is not hugely significant.

--
Chris Green

Chris:

That's what I'm afraid of (i.e. spending $150 and ending up with the same
thing). It's just that the Brother worked REALLY well, especially the
document feeder, which NEVER jammed or missed a beat. That's why I was
toying with the idea of getting a newer version like the networked duplex
model (I believe 8550DN).

But you're absolutely right. If it doesn't print (or copy) there's no point
to it. And yours is not the first post I've read about Brothers having a
habit of all of a sudden dumping toner on the documents it generates.

I have a place that is pretty good at repairing Lasers; perhaps I'll invest
$35 or so to see what they say. If THEY replace the drum and it doesn't fix
things then I'm not out any additional money.

Thanks for taking the time to post a reply.

=NLK=