Can't find files that I know are there

Several days ago I posted a version of the following message to this
newsgroup:

(1) -------------- THE ORIGINAL POSTING.--------------
(2) ----- Please read it and continue with line (3) below -----

I look at a particular subdirectory on one of my drives and see three files,
NAME.abc', 'NAME.abc' and 'NAME.abc'. I do a search on 'NAME.*' within the
subdirectory that contains the three files. The three files are very nicely
found in the search. I change the search so that it is done on the entire
partition that contains the subdirectory. The modified search comes up with
nothing. What's going on? How can I correct the problem?

I've been noticing this sort of thing going on for quite awhile. I have
reinstalled windows XP, both complete and partial, several times and have
observed it as occuring after each of the reinstalls. I had a response to
the previous posting that indicates that other people might have experienced
the same inability to find files that I have. If so my reaction is that the
issue poses a pretty basic flaw in Windows XP. I conclude that the problem
is an inherent part of Windows XP, yet I don't see any mention of it in the
newsgroups.

What is wrong with my logic?

(3) -----------------------------------------------------------

I had a response to my previous posting from 'Sharon F'. She indicated that
I should Open Search in the left hand panel, and there I should "Click on
'More Advanced Options' and that I would then find an option 'search
subfolders'."

Well I did just what she suggested and I don't see the item "More Advanced
Options". I opened the search command above Run on the main menu, and even
spent some time opening a variety of screens looking for the mentioned item.

"Sharon F" (or anyone else who would like to help me): Can you be more
specific about how to find the "search subfolders" item?

Don J