Can't find files that I know are there

Several days ago I posted a version of the following message to this
newsgroup:

(1) -------------- THE ORIGINAL POSTING.--------------
(2) ----- Please read it and continue with line (3) below -----

I look at a particular subdirectory on one of my drives and see three files,
NAME.abc', 'NAME.abc' and 'NAME.abc'. I do a search on 'NAME.*' within the
subdirectory that contains the three files. The three files are very nicely
found in the search. I change the search so that it is done on the entire
partition that contains the subdirectory. The modified search comes up with
nothing. What's going on? How can I correct the problem?

I've been noticing this sort of thing going on for quite awhile. I have
reinstalled windows XP, both complete and partial, several times and have
observed it as occuring after each of the reinstalls. I had a response to
the previous posting that indicates that other people might have experienced
the same inability to find files that I have. If so my reaction is that the
issue poses a pretty basic flaw in Windows XP. I conclude that the problem
is an inherent part of Windows XP, yet I don't see any mention of it in the
newsgroups.

What is wrong with my logic?

(3) -----------------------------------------------------------

I had a response to my previous posting from 'Sharon F'. She indicated that
I should Open Search in the left hand panel, and there I should "Click on
'More Advanced Options' and that I would then find an option 'search
subfolders'."

Well I did just what she suggested and I don't see the item "More Advanced
Options". I opened the search command above Run on the main menu, and even
spent some time opening a variety of screens looking for the mentioned item.

"Sharon F" (or anyone else who would like to help me): Can you be more
specific about how to find the "search subfolders" item?

Don J
1 answer Last reply
More about find files there

    On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:55:32 -0400, "Don J" <dej8800@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Several days ago I posted a version of the following message to this
    >newsgroup:
    >
    >(1) -------------- THE ORIGINAL POSTING.--------------
    >(2) ----- Please read it and continue with line (3) below -----
    >
    >I look at a particular subdirectory on one of my drives and see three files,
    >NAME.abc', 'NAME.abc' and 'NAME.abc'. I do a search on 'NAME.*' within the
    >subdirectory that contains the three files. The three files are very nicely
    >found in the search. I change the search so that it is done on the entire
    >partition that contains the subdirectory. The modified search comes up with
    >nothing. What's going on? How can I correct the problem?
    >
    >I've been noticing this sort of thing going on for quite awhile. I have
    >reinstalled windows XP, both complete and partial, several times and have
    >observed it as occuring after each of the reinstalls. I had a response to
    >the previous posting that indicates that other people might have experienced
    >the same inability to find files that I have. If so my reaction is that the
    >issue poses a pretty basic flaw in Windows XP. I conclude that the problem
    >is an inherent part of Windows XP, yet I don't see any mention of it in the
    >newsgroups.
    >
    >What is wrong with my logic?
    >
    >(3) -----------------------------------------------------------
    >
    >I had a response to my previous posting from 'Sharon F'. She indicated that
    >I should Open Search in the left hand panel, and there I should "Click on
    >'More Advanced Options' and that I would then find an option 'search
    >subfolders'."
    >
    >Well I did just what she suggested and I don't see the item "More Advanced
    >Options". I opened the search command above Run on the main menu, and even
    >spent some time opening a variety of screens looking for the mentioned item.
    >
    >"Sharon F" (or anyone else who would like to help me): Can you be more
    >specific about how to find the "search subfolders" item?
    >
    > Don J

Windows XP