Sign in with
Your question

Suggestions on an EXTERNAL HD

Last response: in Storage
April 11, 2006 8:32:12 PM

I was wondering what you guys would recommend for external hard drives. I have a total of 40 gigs of storage on my current comp. I want an external because i want to move around my media files around to other places. My budget is around 150-200. Something decent and reliable cuz i don't want to lose anything. So please, if you guys have any suggestions on what i should be getting i'd appreciate it.

More about : suggestions external

April 12, 2006 6:36:41 AM

One thing I do is to go on newegg, use their seach engine to whittle down what's availiable to your preferred price-range, size, interface, etc, then start looking into the ratings and customer reviews. I've had few problems doing it this way, built my pc almost entirely using that method and I wasn't disappointed. If you're still not sure, copy the product's name and the word 'review' into google and see what you find.
April 12, 2006 6:21:28 PM

Thank you
Related resources
April 12, 2006 7:02:11 PM

If you get one that is just USB and not USB/Firewire it will be cheaper.

250gig is the best price point these days too.
April 13, 2006 7:32:34 PM

I have a very nice USB 250GB Westernal Digital, dropped at a few times, quite badly. Now makes a slight noise, but still excellent, and as good as silent. What ever you get make sure that its USB 2.0 compatable, otherwise its as good as pointless.
April 13, 2006 9:12:16 PM

Quote:
What ever you get make sure that its USB 2.0 compatable, otherwise its as good as pointless.

Unless you're using it for video editing. Otherwise, a USB 2.0 drive can result in dropped frames. Just go it safe and get one that has both USB 2.0 and FireWire(IEEE 1394), most should anyways.
April 13, 2006 10:08:47 PM

Thats a good point, but i was refering to USB2.0 (480MB/s) over USB1.x( 12MB/s)
!