Suggestions on an EXTERNAL HD

chewy82

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I was wondering what you guys would recommend for external hard drives. I have a total of 40 gigs of storage on my current comp. I want an external because i want to move around my media files around to other places. My budget is around 150-200. Something decent and reliable cuz i don't want to lose anything. So please, if you guys have any suggestions on what i should be getting i'd appreciate it.

phoenixavatar2

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
One thing I do is to go on newegg, use their seach engine to whittle down what's availiable to your preferred price-range, size, interface, etc, then start looking into the ratings and customer reviews. I've had few problems doing it this way, built my pc almost entirely using that method and I wasn't disappointed. If you're still not sure, copy the product's name and the word 'review' into google and see what you find.

tjhva

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
If you get one that is just USB and not USB/Firewire it will be cheaper.

250gig is the best price point these days too.

CallumN

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I have a very nice USB 250GB Westernal Digital, dropped at a few times, quite badly. Now makes a slight noise, but still excellent, and as good as silent. What ever you get make sure that its USB 2.0 compatable, otherwise its as good as pointless.

phoenixavatar2

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
What ever you get make sure that its USB 2.0 compatable, otherwise its as good as pointless.

Unless you're using it for video editing. Otherwise, a USB 2.0 drive can result in dropped frames. Just go it safe and get one that has both USB 2.0 and FireWire(IEEE 1394), most should anyways.