Sign in with
Your question

Battlefied 2 Demo, your thoughts?

Last response: in Video Games
June 11, 2005 3:48:11 PM

The BF2 demo is out now. Let's hear your thoughts on it. I think it's a good game, but for some reason it doesn't hold my attention the way some other games do.

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>
June 11, 2005 5:21:10 PM

I played for about a half hour last night before I went to bed, and was enjoying it. It provided me with one of those "gaming moments" that transcend the game and blurs into reality (taking out a vehicle right before it ran over my sorry arse). I was thinking it would be a worthwhile purchase if you had a good group of people who played together on a regular basis.
June 13, 2005 6:24:16 AM

It didn't grasp me either. I was not a BG1942 adept either so there's probably something about the game type that is not appealing to me.

Quote:

I was thinking it would be a worthwhile purchase if you had a good group of people who played together on a regular basis.

The thing is, it will not be that easy to find (public) servers where you can actually find good teamplay.

Btw, I have a 6800GT and when installing the demo it said my driver was old and I should install the new driver which came with the demo. I have 71.89, which is the latest official driver and I'm not going to install some beta driver for a demo. However with the 71.89 I did have a shader problem. This did not help with my first impression of the game.

BigMac

<A HREF="http://www.p3int.com/product_center_NWO_The_Story.asp" target="_new">New World Order</A>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 13, 2005 1:25:44 PM

I realize it's just a demo, but it feels just like any other buggy BF release. My friend has an older Nvidia Card (GeForce4) and he can't play the demo at all, even though he can play HL2 and Doom3 on it.

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>
June 13, 2005 2:03:07 PM

I think it's BS that it require a better video card.. but it's just the demo. Maybe the game itself will allow older support. I have a geforce4 ti4200 and can't play the demo.

That is going to hurt the purchase of the game beyond belief. Only hardcore gamers are going to purchase the game unless hardware support changes.

I was told by a few people who did play the demo that the first level was very buggy, couldn't map keys and it basically 'sucked.'

And I'm halfway through building my 64bit rig for this game.. and now I'm disappointed...
June 14, 2005 12:55:57 AM

Build your system for COD2. I have a feeling its going to put BF2 to shame.

June 14, 2005 2:43:58 PM

Got it all ordered..Should have it all by the end of this week.

AMD 64 3000+ Venice s939
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
1GB Crucial PC3200 (going for 2GB real soon) [Dual Channel]
MSI NX6600GT 128SP
WD SATA 80GB - Considering RAID 0, but probably not.
Thermaltake Volcano 12 heat sink (nice.)
Xoxide Fireball Case
DiscMake 600W PSU (It was recommended, wasn't that sure about it though)
AeroCool II Fan Controller/Thermal Sensor

anyhow.. with all that.. the grand price?

Exactly $700 dollars and some pennies.

Figure another $106 for 1GB memory and roughly $65 per 80GB HD for any RAID configuration.
June 15, 2005 12:22:26 AM

dat looks tight homie, aight! (been playing GTASA, couldn't help it)

June 15, 2005 1:19:41 PM

Just got notice yesterday that Crucial is delaying my memory shipment for 3 days because they're waiting on their inventory.

It should be a good machine and I can OC it with that cooler.. plus I might even take a step and check out the other pc3200 ballistix or something that crucial has for overclocking.. plus little LED lighting on it..heh.

I did receive the PSU, motherboard, and Case. The PSU reminds me of the weight of a 300w. I was thinking it would be a little heavier though. But I don't mind since I had 2 Antec TruPower 540(I think 540 or 550) PSU burn up on me.. that's just bad when those things were 200+ each.

The case is just your typical case. Nothing too fancy, it's lightweight. It'll do the job just as long as I can sit on it or something. For 30 dollars, it's a good case and the construction is decent. I'd buy another one from this brand... but if I was going to constantly open my case or more my computer, I might get something a little more heavy duty.

Other than that.. everything should be here by the end of the week.

I guess that leaves me a lot of upgrading room, just switch out the mobo and video card and I can have a PCI express computer.. whenever PCIe decides to become worthwhile in my opinion.
June 15, 2005 3:48:07 PM

Nerd!

haha.. That's a good thought. I was thinking about putting my computer in a minifrige or freezer. I mean, I can buy a minifreezer for 50 dollars at Home Depot.. It's cheaper than most cases and it'll keep my beer cold. haha

I'll have to get some pictures of my rig when it's together.
I have a 120mm and 80mm on the PSU, 1 on the CPU, 1 on graphics card, 120mm rear case fan, 1 80mm side fan, 2 40mm front case fans to blow on the HDDs, and then the nice little one of the motherboard. I'm considering tossing in a HDD cooler just for effect though.

I bought the Cooler Master AeroGate II to control 4 fans.
<A HREF="http://" target="_new">AeroGate II</A> (Didn't buy it on Tigerdirect though.
I figure it'll handle fans/thermal for CPU, Mobo, VGA, and either case/hdd/PSU.

I just called Crucial about my delay and I was going to upgrade to the 2GB kit, (2x1GB sticks) and they were going to give me a discount, but at the last minute they confirmed I had the 1GB kit so I just went with that. I'll see how it runs on 1gb and upgrade when memory prices hopefully fall a little bit.

This is the beastly CPU cooler I picked up too:
<A HREF="http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=FAN-A1744&c=pw" target="_new">ThermalTake Venus 12</A>
Supposedly rated the best for OC'ing the CPU.
Considering it goes up to 48dBa at 5500rpm, it better be good. :) 

I need to pick up some sleeving for the wiring, thermal tape, thermal paste...

I bought my mobo refurbished through Newegg from MSI.. it didn't come with the backplate or D adapter thing known with MSI. So I called MSI directly and they're shipping me all the accessories for the MB for free - The software, the serial cables, MSI accessories, everything.

I just need to confirm the board works. I don't see what was fixed on it.. no soldering marks or anything, but it said it was tested and worked. It doesn't show any wear or that it was even used before aside from a small amount of dust on the fan. If that works out, I'll be happy with my 65 dollars board that runs 130 in stores. :) 
June 25, 2005 6:01:17 PM

hahahahhahaahahhhahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahh
ahahahahahhahahaahhahahahahahahahaha,

breath,

hahahahahahahahahahahah

that's too funny dude

<font color=blue> Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows. </font color=blue>
June 25, 2005 8:54:41 PM

I am still waiting on that nickname so can show you what a ban is rather than just a delisting in gamespy. Actually your pb guid would be better. That way i can make sure all the servers and game hosting companies i run never have to deal with you. and yes riser is already banned user name in 216 bf2 servers already.
June 25, 2005 10:20:10 PM

Now you're threatening other people??

Don't double post ya idiot.
June 26, 2005 6:17:13 AM

WTF happened to this thread?

June 26, 2005 1:54:46 PM

Eh.. what happens to all threads around here lately..

So I installed BF2 on my new computer last night. The play seems a little clumsy.. why would you want to be anything else besides a Medic? Assault doesn't seem to have that much going for them.. aside from the really small blast radio of the m203.
Snipers were improved because now it's not so easy to just hit anyone from any distance. They're good.

Seems like everything is so fast until it gets to moving.. heh.

The maps are cool but it's just like running around in the open.. there seems to be a lack of shrubbery..

BF1942 you could hide a lot of places and sneak around.. this one it's like you're always running around in the open.

I spent an hour last night configuring my joystick and controls to be able to fly the helicopter perfectly. I think I have it to the point where a sniper might have a good chance of hitting someone with a shot.. haha. I have Yaw and Pitch set to 8 to keep stable.

Flying the jets, no big deal. They're fun but I was trying to practice dropping the bombs on bridges, etc. It'll take a little touch and some time to learn how that works. But it should be fun in the end.

I played 2 maps.. they were cool.. I think I like the slower planes in '42 than the jets though. I can really fly these jets though, I was doing barrel rolls through multiple smoke stacks.. that'll be fun online. :) 

Overall, the game play definately has changed since '42.. I think I liked '42's better.. but being a new game with new stuff, it's needed to give the full effects of BF2's controls.

I'll post more once I get back to playing some more.
June 30, 2005 1:57:00 AM

Based on everything I know so far, I am going to divert my BF2 fund-age towards COD2 since it's pretty much going to annihilate BF2 on every level. BF2=hype.

June 30, 2005 8:16:45 AM

Good strategy. If you keep it up, you get to save yourself a lot of money. When COD2 gets released there will be a better game "just" around the corner, so you can divert your funds again :smile: .

My strategy is to compare it with games that are out there now, and then decide whether I want to have it or not. There's a holiday coming right up for me now, but I'll probably be buying BF2 when I get back, unless something better has hit the market by then.

BigMac

<A HREF="http://www.p3int.com/product_center_NWO_The_Story.asp" target="_new">New World Order</A>
July 3, 2005 1:21:49 AM

If you feel compelled to purchase whatever is available right now, have at it. I just know that I will like COD2 much more than that poorly coded, bug infested piece of crap that is BF2.

July 3, 2005 11:08:46 PM

NFSMW is? PAC ASS (MOHPA) was a major let down for me since I popped my online gaming cherry with MOHAA. Oh well, At least I know that Valve won't let me down.

July 5, 2005 12:25:02 AM

I just downloaded this, and for some reason I can not set my controls the way I'd like. I use the numpad. It keeps saying that there is a duplicate key. I don't see any keys being used! Anyway playing with the default settings I sucked bad killed a few...game seems ok, but...If i can't set my controls I'm useless at it.
July 5, 2005 2:08:30 PM

BF2.. the aiming isn't as fun.. it's like splattering shots everywhere.. it's not really easy to shoot someone.. snipering has become more fun because of the delay.. when you're shooting at someone running, it's really like the scene from Saving Private Ryan where they're running and you see a puff of smoke where your bullet hits 1/10 of a second later.. the distance does matter in the game.

But when you get into other classes where you try to shoot.. I tend to play Spec Ops mostly.. covert strikes on the enemy bases, etc. I find in full auto and tapping the button, I can't really kill anyone. I tend to put it in single shot and rock. I can spray someone with 2 full clips at a fairly close range.. holding the button down, and not kill them.. it takes around 6-8 shots in the body, at normal range, to kill someone. Headshots really haven't shown to be that effective.. unless the target circle is really small.

The jets are fun, but they don't have the fun feel that BF42 did.. they handle faster, etc, but go faster.. it's not as much of an air fight I should say.. since the only time I ever get shot down or kill flying is from a stinger (land based AA).. And even then, in '42 when your plane was totaled, it locked up and you could bail.. you really don't get that option.

The maps a fricking huge for 64 players.. there are no real choke points.. it's like you all congregate at one point and fight until someone wins it.. There are 2 maps that I play that I have trouble finding the enemy.. vehicles are everywhere.. it's not like people running all over.. it's everyone's in a jeep or a buggy or tank..

The engineer gets a shotgun which sucks for most things.. mines aren't used as much.. engineers are only used to repair certain things.. they're probably the least played as before when they were really played a lot.

The medic is cool and the supply gunner are really fun to be. The assault guy is good.. just your average guy.

Controls aren't laid out how I would have expected. I remap my keys to use a nostromo.. but just to switch weapons I have to scroll through a list or you can use your key to switch around.

In a heavy fight, average time to live is about 10-15 seconds if you're involved and not running..

The TK thing isn't that bad, but it's still there. You get on your jet and start to fly away but someone straps a bomb to you.. blows ya up.. what happens to them? After so many kills they're moved to the other team. Do it enough, someone might actually vote to boot you.

The teamspeak is really nice, but rarely do I find someone that knows how to use their microphone. I've played with 2 people who used mics.

No one ever types in the game since it's so fast paced. The mic is good for that.. it would be a lot of fun if you could get a group around all with Mics that weren't annoying though.

Overall, it's a good game for now.. but as soon as something better comes along, a lot of people will switch. But you'll have your die hard fans who think it's the greatest game and will play it forever.
July 5, 2005 2:30:26 PM

What's the single player side of the game like? Any good?

:eek:  I'm the good time that was had by all :eek: 
July 5, 2005 3:28:13 PM

The AI isn't that good.. they always know where you are, regardless of how good you are.. driving they get confused and stuck a lot.. but then, the game play seems more even cause they'll all attack one point instead of going every which way like in multiplayer.. the AI isn't good but the teamplay is better.. says a lot for the multiplayer community.. heh.
July 7, 2005 1:10:45 AM

I'm enjoying the game so far. I just wish it supported widescreen resolutions. I also wish I could fly a helicopter or jet for longer than 10 seconds before crashing.

I haven't done multiplayer yet.

<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester
DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D
1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>
July 7, 2005 9:03:13 AM

I never played BF42, only BF Vietnam. I like dodging around in helicopters, otherwise the game gets boring pretty quickly. I'm keen to see how the helicopters fly in the new game. If my missus gives me enough pocket money to buy it.....

...*cries*...

:eek:  I'm the good time that was had by all :eek: 
July 7, 2005 1:38:08 PM

I have yet to successfully get a choper off the ground. I figured out how to fly the jets yesterday, but the damn helicopters are a bitch.

1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>
July 7, 2005 3:41:03 PM

Joystick. :) 

I have my YAW adjusted to 8 on the Helicopters.. I was having trouble with a joystick of keeping the things around.

W increases speed, or torque, which makes you go up. Mouse down goes forward, mouse back go backs..

When you tip forward, the torque is still going up, but you're propelling yourself forward by the downward force. When you pull back so your nose is in the air, the downward force goes back..

Keep it level and you'll go straight up..
July 7, 2005 7:10:49 PM

I walked up...shot a bot in the face...and he walked away. So much for this game.

If i can't shoot somebody in the head, and have him die... Whats the world coming to; honestly!?

F@H:
AMD: [64 3000+][2500+][2400+][2000+][1.3][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x3][P4 3.0x2][P4 2.4x5 down][P4 1.4]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time
July 7, 2005 8:52:31 PM

True..

I did notice the headshots are a lot harder in the game..

But I also noticed a lot of people with way too precise bombings from jets.. really accurate shooting from long distances with unaccurate guns.. and some people that just won't die..

I stabbed a sniper 3 times before he died when he was laying down and I was crouched next to him. Each time it showed up as a hit.. knife is an instant kill.

But if you play on official servers, you don't see anything like that.. but official servers tend to be really laggy.

Cheating from what I've seen is at a minimum.. which leads back to my post about letting people mod stuff..
July 7, 2005 10:48:00 PM

Does on-line eat and spit your Ram out? I notice just in single mode along with 16 players I’m using 1GB of Ram and notice some delays. Of coarse I have full details and 4x 4x.
July 8, 2005 3:06:33 AM

Those settings are pretty high. You must be running a good card on a small monitor.

1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>
July 8, 2005 10:46:35 AM

I have a BFG 6800 Ultra set at High quality and a 19” monitor @ 1024x768. I don’t remember what map I was on, but when I looked into Device manager 1,007 MB of Ram was being used and I don’t have any unnecessary services running! I notice delay when firing the Anti-Tank weapon and using a similar weapon stationed at a base. I just check the Ram use on another map and it was 900 MB at the start of the game. WoW!

I recall UT4 using over 500 MB, so when I bought 1 GB of Ram I though I was good to go, but when I seen 1 GB being used I was a little shocked. I just paid full price for the game and also bought a DVD RW to install the game, but to buy more Ram would be pushing it and I would probable lower a setting first, but so far no real problem.
July 8, 2005 2:06:28 PM

In all honesty, i will still get the game, and i'll prob play online a bit too, perhaps alot. But, man, being able to get single shot kills is so much more real. It's so irritating to walk up, shoot somebody in the face...then have to shoot him 3 more times...in the face. =/ I think i'd rather have the hit boxes in CS, rather then do the same amount of damage shooting somebody in the foot as in the face. I was really hoping they'd fix that in this. Oh well. I enjoyed the DC version of BF, and played enough to be one of the top 3 players on Basrah's Nights for three months. =D (gotta b good at something...if only i could get payed to play =)

F@H:
AMD: [64 3000+][2500+][2400+][2000+][1.3][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x3][P4 3.0x2][P4 2.4x5 down][P4 1.4]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time
July 8, 2005 4:33:45 PM

I play with 1gb of ram. While I notice a delay when firing antitank weapons or tow missiles, I think that's the game lagging that portion and nothing else.

Majority of the servers are extremely laggy.. you can find a few good ones though.

I notice that when I'm flying or in a vehicle.. i'll lag like crazy with someone else who is laggy in the vehicle with me. I hate when laggy people get in a vehicle with me.

I haven't checked what it's eating up.. BUT..

I know that with 16 players, they want 386MB ram, 32 is 512, and 64 is 1gb.. and those are minimums.
July 8, 2005 4:37:25 PM

I play America's Army heavily because it's very much like Rogue Spear.. it's very realistic.. shots kill.. you can shoot someone all you want in the leg, but if they catch you in the head or something, you're gone. You get a small amount of body armor that helps too.

It's a realistic military game and it's free.. I've been playing since it's release a few years back. Can't beat it.. it's not as extensive as other games.. but I think it's really a military training thing.. for people who join that want to create games.. they create the game and get real life experience while in the military doing their work.. it's also a recruiting tool to some extent because you have to do training.. it's a good game and fun to play. Lots of maps too.
July 9, 2005 4:01:19 AM

I love the Bridge map on AA. Haven't played it in forever though.

1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>
July 9, 2005 9:03:56 PM

BF2 just keeps getting better and better. Once you figure out a map it's a lot of fun. Before that though you kind of run around confused with bullets and bombs everywhere.

1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>
!