Sign in with
Your question

What port do I have to open from my Router's ?

Last response: in Networking
June 12, 2003 5:44:27 PM

What port do I have to open from my Router's firewall in order to have a direct connection such as in AOL Instant Messenger????

More about : port open router

June 12, 2003 6:14:29 PM

good question, i tried and never found an answer, didnt try long though

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>
Related resources
July 12, 2003 1:14:00 PM

every program uses a different port so u have to check what port AOL IM uses. Should be written in some help file or something. U can also ask AOL !!!
July 14, 2003 2:24:53 PM

just another suggestion that may be worth mentioning, instead of opening a single port for a program, if your router has DMZ capabilities you can put your computer's IP address in DMZ and it will act as if that computer is not behind the firewall at all, which will allow all programs to work without the protection of the router. This does mean that you are completly open and unprotected but then there are other ways to protect yourself like using Zonealarm to control what programs can access and even act as a server.

GK

OOoo Look I'm a member! Do I get Privleges now? Where's the secret decoder ring?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ghostkat on 07/14/03 09:30 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 24, 2003 12:17:18 AM

This is for under WIN XP.

If you go in control panel -> connection manager and right click on the connection with the name "Internet Connection" and select properties. Then click on settings. You should see a window pop up with all the ports that your computer is using.

So what you do is, start the application for which you want to know which ports to open then follow the steps above to see which ports it uses. Then open those ports on your router.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies
July 31, 2003 3:42:47 PM

AOL are in fact THE most incompitent company in the entire world. Give up now and get another SP.

Give a lazy man an easy job and he'll find an easier way of doing it.
August 22, 2003 8:02:22 PM

he never said he was using aol, just had the aim client...
!