I just bought a graphics card

fireforge

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2002
im thinking I might regret it.

I just bought SAPPHIRE 100136L Radeon X800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP. I have a 9800 np these are agp cards btw. I cant afford to upgrade to pci E right now. Did I make a huge mistake...

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
No, you didnt make a mistake. Though you wont be blown away by the performance delta you'll witness, your gaming will become much better.

You need to download ATiTool and find out which core is on your new card...you may have an overclocking demon on your hands.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
No, you didnt make a mistake. Though you wont be blown away by the performance delta you'll witness, your gaming will become much better.

You need to download ATiTool and find out which core is on your new card...you may have an overclocking demon on your hands.

Good luck with that :)

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
If he has an R420 core(he cant have R480, and could unfortunately have R430) then he could be rockin' if he likes overclockin' 8)

This will sound n00bish, but which cores are used in the X600, and how good are they for overclocking? I've got my card from 450/290 core/memory to 565/310 core/memory. I thought it was a pretty good overclock on the core, but there are no VRAM heatsinks, so that's killing the memory OC.

Once I get my PC working again, I'll put the dead P4's heatsink on the graphics card and hopefully get some copper memory sinks.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Yeah, you made a good decision. I have a Geforce MX420 and just ordered a GTO card. I haven't got it yet, but it will DEFINITELY improve your gaming experience. It was a worthy investment.

I, unfortunately, won't be able to overclock :cry: :cry: because my system is a Dell. (They work great, but buliding one yourself is WAY better. you get better parts and aren't stuck with buying an Intel cpu if you don't want to.)

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
This will sound n00bish, but which cores are used in the X600
Your card has the RV380 core(introduced in 2003) and is pretty much the PCIE equivelent of the 9600 series. It's still a 4x1-pipe design with two vertex shaders, its memory bus is still 128 bits wide, and it's still fabbed using a 0.13-micron low-k manufacturing process. If that isnt a 9600XT with a different name, then I truly am an nVidiot.

I find it just a bit ironic that you've accused me of living in an AGP past with my newly introduced nVidia card, yet in secret there is an ancient 9600XT occupying the "modern" PCIE slot of your own motherboard :lol:

All in good fun my lad :lol:

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
not to worry my friend you made a good decision.......there is huge difference between x800gt and 9800......

you will notice an overall improvement in your multimedia experience .... your games will run much faster

i guess as fast as the rest of the sistem will allow you....

there are many posts on that you could check them out....

i`ve personaly made an experiment with a x800gto...it run call of duty 2 perfecly on 1gig ram and a athlon64 (that was my testing sistem then)....but when i switched to 512 ram the game was very difficult to play if not imposible...

i guess your sistem is as strong as your weakest component.....x800 runs like hell on a good sistem but runs like s*** on a bad sistem......