Linux VoIP Gateway

I have a good understanding of VoIP and how it works and all. I am
planning on creating a gateway, but I need a couple hardware/software
questions answered before I waste too much time diving into it. Also,
if anybody has a sample of how they configured a Linux VoIP gateway it
would help.

Scenario: I am going to create an internet VoIP gateway using Linux.
I am going to have a public interface, and then a modem to PSTN.

Question 1: Are you able to use a regular 56k modem to make calls
from this gateway, or do you need a card like the LineJack card?

Question 2: Will gateway software such, as Open H323 PSTNgw or Vocal,
be the software to use to translate from this modem to the network
inteface?

Thanks...

J. Crocker wrote:
> I have a good understanding of VoIP and how it works and all. I am
> planning on creating a gateway, but I need a couple hardware/software
> questions answered before I waste too much time diving into it. Also,
> if anybody has a sample of how they configured a Linux VoIP gateway it
> would help.
>
> Scenario: I am going to create an internet VoIP gateway using Linux.
> I am going to have a public interface, and then a modem to PSTN.
>
> Question 1: Are you able to use a regular 56k modem to make calls
> from this gateway, or do you need a card like the LineJack card?
>
> Question 2: Will gateway software such, as Open H323 PSTNgw or Vocal,
> be the software to use to translate from this modem to the network
> inteface?
>
> Thanks...

www.asterisk.org has the answer to all your questions and this
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk should get you started.