dude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Concorde was not the first supersonic passenger aircraft to fly. The
suspiciously similar Russian TU-144, dubbed Concordski, made its maiden
flight in December 1968, two months earlier than a French Concorde
prototype. But when Concordski crashed five years later at the Paris
air show, its fate as a commercial airliner was sealed. It is now a
flying laboratory operated jointly by Russia and Nasa.

Chris

Arthur

Shows what happens when you don't take your time to get it
right.....especially after copying someone else's work.
I think the only nation capable of doing some excellent copying, is Japan.
During WWII, they used all the knowledge they could somehow glean about U.S.
aircraft and built some of the most effective warplanes..one being the Zero,
I believe copied from a P-40 (Please correct me if I'm mistaken).

Arthur

"Dude" <chris.holub@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Concorde was not the first supersonic passenger aircraft to fly. The
> suspiciously similar Russian TU-144, dubbed Concordski, made its maiden
> flight in December 1968, two months earlier than a French Concorde
> prototype. But when Concordski crashed five years later at the Paris
> air show, its fate as a commercial airliner was sealed. It is now a
> flying laboratory operated jointly by Russia and Nasa.
>

> Chris

dallas

"Arthur"
> I believe copied from a P-40 (Please correct me if I'm mistaken).

Ok... correction.. nope. The zero was a totally original design.

Besides, no one wanted to copy US fighter technology in the late 1930's...
we were woefully behind.

Dallas

Arthur

What about the mid-1940's when the war was 'raging in the Pacific'?

Arthur

> "Arthur"
>> I believe copied from a P-40 (Please correct me if I'm mistaken).
>
> Ok... correction.. nope. The zero was a totally original design.
>
> Besides, no one wanted to copy US fighter technology in the late 1930's...
> we were woefully behind.
>

> Dallas

The Japanese never really developed any new A/C after 1940 that saw any
significant service. Stuck with their old reliables...mostly from
Mitsubishi. Dallas is absolutely right...no one wanted to copy our stuff in
the 30's. Wasn't until well into the war that the Russians did a remarkable
copy job on some b-29's they managed to get ahold of

Bob.

GREGORY

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:31:40 -0400, "Bob D." <rldead@charter.net>
brought the following to our attention:

>The Japanese never really developed any new A/C after 1940 that saw any
>significant service. Stuck with their old reliables...mostly from
>Mitsubishi. Dallas is absolutely right...no one wanted to copy our stuff in
>the 30's. Wasn't until well into the war that the Russians did a remarkable
>copy job on some b-29's they managed to get ahold of
>
>Bob.

Sutton explains about the '29s and also the '144s. Not sure whether
to providing a hyperlink.. could have head handed back on plate!!

-G

petebert

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003

I saw a show on the history channel saying that Japan would get technology
from Germany and then improve on it and make some kick ass fighters

"Bob D." <rldead@charter.net> wrote in message
> The Japanese never really developed any new A/C after 1940 that saw any
> significant service. Stuck with their old reliables...mostly from
> Mitsubishi. Dallas is absolutely right...no one wanted to copy our stuff
> in
> the 30's. Wasn't until well into the war that the Russians did a
> remarkable
> copy job on some b-29's they managed to get ahold of
>
> Bob.

GREGORY

On 4 Jul 2005 04:48:19 -0700, "Dude" <chris.holub@gmail.com> brought
the following to our attention:

>Concorde was not the first supersonic passenger aircraft to fly. The
>suspiciously similar Russian TU-144, dubbed Concordski, made its maiden
>flight in December 1968, two months earlier than a French Concorde
>prototype. But when Concordski crashed five years later at the Paris
>air show, its fate as a commercial airliner was sealed. It is now a
>flying laboratory operated jointly by Russia and Nasa.
>

>Chris

From Sutton..

British and French aeronautical engineers have their own name for the
Russian Tu-144 supersonic plane. They call it the "konkordskiy." A
comparative glance at the configurations of the Anglo-French Concorde
and the Russian Tu-144 will, even without supporting evidence, readily
explain the nickname.

The configurations of the Russian supersonic Tu-144 and the
Anglo-French supersonic Concorde are strikingly similar. Given the
history of Soviet technical dependence on the West, we can pose the
question: Did the Soviets use the design of the Anglo-French Concorde
for the Russian Tu-144? Dr. William Strang, technical director of
British Aircraft Corporation's commercial aircraft division stated:

"I think it likely that they did have some knowledge
of the work we were doing which led to the general
shape definition" -London Times, Sept. 27, 1971

"Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in message

> Shows what happens when you don't take your time to get it
> right.....especially after copying someone else's work.

Never has seemed to bother Microsoft

Arthur

Hmmm.........I think that's what I had in mind when I posted earlier. Not
the U.S., but Germany. Sorry about that, but my brain cells seem to be
making a run for it lately : )

Arthur

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

> Name the first supersonic passenger aircraft.

I recall hearing that a Boeing 727 once went supersonic in a steep
dive. Don't know if that's true, or if it predated the Concordski.

A little Googling found this:
" The first supersonic airliner was a Douglas DC-8-43 that dived past
Mach one (a figure representing a very high rate of speed) during a
test on August 21, 1961."
<http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=3890>

I always wondered what Mach one represented.
--
Ray Heindl
(remove the Xs to reply)

Arthur

Divng is cheating. A supersonic aircraft is only a supersonic aircraft if
it breaks the sound barrier in level flight. So there.

Arthur

"Ray Heindl" <vortren-newsx@yaxhoo.com> wrote in message
> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:
>
>> Name the first supersonic passenger aircraft.
>
> I recall hearing that a Boeing 727 once went supersonic in a steep
> dive. Don't know if that's true, or if it predated the Concordski.
>
> A little Googling found this:
> " The first supersonic airliner was a Douglas DC-8-43 that dived past
> Mach one (a figure representing a very high rate of speed) during a
> test on August 21, 1961."
> <http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=3890>
>
> I always wondered what Mach one represented.
> --
> Ray Heindl
> (remove the Xs to reply)

dallas

"Arthur"
> Divng is cheating. A supersonic aircraft is only a supersonic aircraft if
> it breaks the sound barrier in level flight. So there.

Game point Arthur.

Dallas

True. But the first passenger aircraft that went supersonic was a CPA
DC-8 before delivery.

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

Cal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com