Closed

Error copying file or folder

We are receiving the error: "Error Copying File or
Folder -- Cannot remove folder ..... The filename or
extension is too long"
Here is how I am doing it. We have a Windows 2000 File
server and it takes the 5+ gigs of documents from the
laptop via copy/paste fine. But when I copy from the
server to Windows XP Pro, the thing bombs. I am trying to
find something to go through and find all these files so
I may set them aside since I am not a programmer or great
scripter. Many of the bombing files may have been on a
MAC server back in the late 90's. Any ideas?
2 answers Last reply
More about error copying file folder

    Hi, Phil.

    If you don't get a good answer here, you might want to try one of the
    File_System newsgroups:
    windows.public.win2000.file_system or
    windows.public.windows.file_system

    Lots of gurus who hang out there handle problems like this every day.

    I'm not sure where those are in the web-based interface menu of groups, but
    you should be able to find them in the list.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Phil" <pmondo@netxing.net> wrote in message
    > We are receiving the error: "Error Copying File or
    > Folder -- Cannot remove folder ..... The filename or
    > extension is too long"
    > Here is how I am doing it. We have a Windows 2000 File
    > server and it takes the 5+ gigs of documents from the
    > laptop via copy/paste fine. But when I copy from the
    > server to Windows XP Pro, the thing bombs. I am trying to
    > find something to go through and find all these files so
    > I may set them aside since I am not a programmer or great
    > scripter. Many of the bombing files may have been on a
    > MAC server back in the late 90's. Any ideas?

Servers Windows XP