Woot Woot, a new RD580 board!!!!

emd

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2004
http://us.dfi.com.tw/Press/press_header_content_us.jsp?PAGE_TYPE=US&TITLE_ID=7152&LINKED_URL=arch411.jsp&SITE=US

Oh yea, I'm gonna be getting me one of this babies. Check out the neat utility DFI conjured up to clear the bios. So awesome.

SOMEONE HURRY UP AND REVIEW THIS MOFO!
Is the same chip in the ati 1900 video cards?

xSunnYx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
http://us.dfi.com.tw/Press/press_header_content_us.jsp?PAGE_TYPE=US&TITLE_ID=7152&LINKED_URL=arch411.jsp&SITE=US

Oh yea, I'm gonna be getting me one of this babies. Check out the neat utility DFI conjured up to clear the bios. So awesome.

SOMEONE HURRY UP AND REVIEW THIS MOFO!
Is the same chip in the ati 1900 video cards?

the R580 and RD580 are different chips, 1 for gfx cards, the other for mobo's.. >.>

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
The chip is supposed to run fine without a fan, why did DFI put one on? Personally I think I'll get the Asus version. Unless the difference is huge. I wanna know how loud that fan is though.

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
DFI but a fan on because they make baords for OC'ing. DFI also has worked out a way to run 4 DIMM's at 1T for a cheap fast 4GB. The new chip seems to be stable at hypertransport speeds of 1.5ghz. This should become the new king of the hill for OC'ing if nothing else was messed up. On the Asus side, I wish DFI would take their lead and put a 8 phase system in. If Ati's shrink can get the heat and power down on their new chips and the SB600 is all it's cracked up to be, there will finally be some heat on Nvidia to improve! Got to keep these rivals leapfrogging on chipsets as well as GPU's. Then we'll really get performance!

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
My point is that the Asus board doesn't have a fan on the chip and its still overclockable to over 300MHz on the FSB and can hit 1500MHz HTT speeds.

Now running 4 DIMMS with 1T though is an improvement.

I'm not looking to hit a maximum overclock though. I'm looking at an Opteron 165 or 170 to hit 2.5GHz. For that even with the 165 I only need a 278MHz bus speed.

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
If you are only looking for a smaller overclock (2.5ghz) the asus board would be better for a quiet pc. You are right. However, a good friend of mine runs his 175 at 3.2ghz on the DFI, he doesn't mind the noise. It's NOT silent.

xSunnYx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
The RD580 chip already runs a crap load cooler, don't think a fan is needed for it.

opty 170 @ 2.6ghz here on stock vCore and Zalman9500 (ASUS A8R32-MVP)

Just hearing the fan of the CPU/PSU abit..

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I don't want to think my NB is cool, I want to know it is. After 9months to a year of durability testing, I'd take the fan off, but one fan is not going to bother me enough to care. If it bothers you that much, then you should go with the ASUS board, and then hopefully we will both be happy and can talk about things again down the road.

Dresden

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2005
The ASUS board is alright. The bios doesn't have that many options. So you are kinda limited in steppings. The memory divider blows a$$. You can't OC the vCore past 1.6. The damn board is a biznatch when it comes to running a X-Fi on it. And the Audio from the onboard HD audio pops and crackles.

Yes, I have every f'in update imaginable. I'm not gonna jump the gun and say DFI's board is better, because I don't have my hands on it. But DFI and Abit waited almost two months to release their RD580 boards, which leads me to think that they took the time to put more options into their boards, and MAKE SURE they were stable from the box. And then some.

I don't understand what's up with the fan on the DFI board. Maybe this board is able to push it so far that it might actually need that little blower. I got an Opty 170 just like the rest of ya, and I got it to 2.8GHz, but had to back it down cause it was unstable. I'm at 2.7GHz right now, but that's at 1.50 volts. My HTT is at x5, so I'm almost running the bus at 1.4GHz! I wanna hit 2.8 stable, I don't see how it will happen on this board. It just feels kinda glitchy, like its a damn engineering sample.

Hey xSunnYx, what stock vCore are you running? 1.35 or 1.4? Cause a lot of peeps say they had OC'd at 1.35V(what they specified as stock), but the board started the CPU vCore at 1.4V...

xSunnYx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
The ASUS board is alright. The bios doesn't have that many options. So you are kinda limited in steppings. The memory divider blows a$$. You can't OC the vCore past 1.6. The damn board is a biznatch when it comes to running a X-Fi on it. And the Audio from the onboard HD audio pops and crackles.

Yes, I have every f'in update imaginable. I'm not gonna jump the gun and say DFI's board is better, because I don't have my hands on it. But DFI and Abit waited almost two months to release their RD580 boards, which leads me to think that they took the time to put more options into their boards, and MAKE SURE they were stable from the box. And then some.

I don't understand what's up with the fan on the DFI board. Maybe this board is able to push it so far that it might actually need that little blower. I got an Opty 170 just like the rest of ya, and I got it to 2.8GHz, but had to back it down cause it was unstable. I'm at 2.7GHz right now, but that's at 1.50 volts. My HTT is at x5, so I'm almost running the bus at 1.4GHz! I wanna hit 2.8 stable, I don't see how it will happen on this board. It just feels kinda glitchy, like its a damn engineering sample.

Hey xSunnYx, what stock vCore are you running? 1.35 or 1.4? Cause a lot of peeps say they had OC'd at 1.35V(what they specified as stock), but the board started the CPU vCore at 1.4V...
Got mine on manual, stock = 1,375.

I'm at 1,375v on 2,6Ghz 24/7 and could do 1.4v @ 2,7Ghz.

I can do 2,750Ghz on 1.425, but running it on dual prime 100% load.. it gets to 49C, which is a lil too hot imo. (maybe too much AS5)

Dunno how much my watercooling will help, it will be in for testing in about 2 weeks. Sure it will perform better than de zalman 9500 i got now.

BTW! On topic, that DFI RD580 board is 259 euro here.. IMO not worth it for me to start switching..(Well, not now anyayz xD)

Dresden

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2005
Ok, either your 170 is a better OC'r than mine(which is very possible) or my board is more stupid than yours. I got to 2.7 and above with my voltage at like 1.5-1.55V...yea, way worse than yours. The temp hit 60C when running prime95 and SuperPI together. I was like "NOoooooooooooooooo" in slow motion!

Even now, @2.6GHz, my voltages are at 1.45 I think. My board's voltage is super unstable though...It jumps around by like .5-.7 ALL THE TIME. I don't understand it.

I think I also put too much AS5 on my heatsink, the same one you have, lol. I went ahead and compulsively bought the new DFI, so when I get it, I think I might lap the heatsink, be very conservative with the AS5, and pray that DFI provided me a gnarly board.

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
See, this is the difference between boards (not just manufacturers, but boards themselves as well). A good friend of mine is running a DFI expert with a opteron 175 (cooled by a thermal right xp120) at 3.2ghz with 1.55 volts. Runs at 32 - 38 degrees Celsius. That board does not have very much voltage fluctuation at all, though. Why won't asus put the 8 phase on the MVP's?

xSunnYx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Ok, either your 170 is a better OC'r than mine(which is very possible) or my board is more stupid than yours. I got to 2.7 and above with my voltage at like 1.5-1.55V...yea, way worse than yours. The temp hit 60C when running prime95 and SuperPI together. I was like "NOoooooooooooooooo" in slow motion!

Even now, @2.6GHz, my voltages are at 1.45 I think. My board's voltage is super unstable though...It jumps around by like .5-.7 ALL THE TIME. I don't understand it.

I think I also put too much AS5 on my heatsink, the same one you have, lol. I went ahead and compulsively bought the new DFI, so when I get it, I think I might lap the heatsink, be very conservative with the AS5, and pray that DFI provided me a gnarly board.

probably is too much AS5 :p i set my vCore just now to see what temps i'd be getting @ 2,7Ghz.. it went to 50C (which is still too high tho)

btw, some1 from xs had a new BIOS for de DFI RD580.. supposed to solve the majority of problems when OCing.

Dresden

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2005
A new bios for our ASUS board, or the DFI?? You mean to tell me that once again I'm gonna get a new board that automatically has to be updated? Argh!

Dude, I'm like 99.8 percent sure I put too much AS5 on that puppy of mine. It's my first build, so I'm not surprised I screwed up something...at least it's minor.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
That bourd looks realy realy nice :) I would order one but only one online shop has it right now for preorder and its not one I have dealt with before so if anyone see's this on NewEgg or Tiger let me know ill see how well it OC's my 3500 Venice :p

xSunnYx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
A new bios for our ASUS board, or the DFI?? You mean to tell me that once again I'm gonna get a new board that automatically has to be updated? Argh!

Dude, I'm like 99.8 percent sure I put too much AS5 on that puppy of mine. It's my first build, so I'm not surprised I screwed up something...at least it's minor.

A new BIOS for the DFI, and not even officially from DFI themselves, but from some Tony BETA BIOS or what ever :/

I recently updated my ASUS A8R32-MVP with a new bios 0311 to 0404.. which basicly killed my stable 2,6Ghz OC :/ (switching back soon)

Gonna give the DFI board like a 2-4 weeks time to see how it progresses. If it's "obviously" is way better in OC and more stable.. imma switch..

Dresden

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2005
I believe that new bios bios(the 0404 from ASUS) made the board require more voltage or something. I had my board at 2.6 @ 1.4V(no vCore OC) before. Then, with a bad premonition, I updated my mobo to the 0404, and I had to bump up the core to 1.5V initially.

Ok, so then I tried something because this board is so goddamn weird. I took the core all the way down to 1.225V, and then up'd the vCore .2. And it worked. For some reason the voltage is more stable when the vCore overvoltage option is used. Stupid.

Anyways, I got my hands on the new DFI today. Impressive so far, but I haven't had a chance to boot it up yet. My friend told me I don't have to reformat my drives and reinstall windows, cause the two boards use the same chipset...is this true? I have an OEM version of Windows, and it says not to install on another computer....so I'm kinda in a rut.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I believe that new bios bios(the 0404 from ASUS) made the board require more voltage or something. I had my board at 2.6 @ 1.4V(no vCore OC) before. Then, with a bad premonition, I updated my mobo to the 0404, and I had to bump up the core to 1.5V initially.

Ok, so then I tried something because this board is so goddamn weird. I took the core all the way down to 1.225V, and then up'd the vCore .2. And it worked. For some reason the voltage is more stable when the vCore overvoltage option is used. Stupid.

Anyways, I got my hands on the new DFI today. Impressive so far, but I haven't had a chance to boot it up yet. My friend told me I don't have to reformat my drives and reinstall windows, cause the two boards use the same chipset...is this true? I have an OEM version of Windows, and it says not to install on another computer....so I'm kinda in a rut.

Hmmm use a program called Magic Jelly bean it finds your key for you and well maybe you could barrow some ones XP CD *cough cough* MS might give you some problems but call them up and say your Mobo esploded and you had to reinstall... im not sure if it will work with an OEM key but it should :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All he needs is his key, you can replace a motherboard, or you can replace a hard drive, but as far as I know you can't replace a motherboard and hard drive at the same time, to stay within your rights to use the software on "the same system".

That's for standard OEM CD's. The customized installation CD's don't count since the installation files are locked to a certain brand of board, although I've used the standard OEM CD to reload a Dell that had the license stuck to the case.

Dresden

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2005
Phew, I forgot about this thread. Thought I'd let you guys in on the new board. The reviews aren't really misleading. The new bios loosens things up quite a bit, as the shipped one is like goddamn piano wire.

This board is sweet. It has more options than ever. I've been neglecting life in general learning all of the mem timings and tweaks in this board. It is my first build(second mobo) so I'm still conquering the learning curve. Definitely a board that makes you learn real fast, or else it will chew you up and spit you out.

I believe my memory is holding me back. I can get to 2.6gigs on stock voltage, 1:1 mem divider, but anything more, and I can't get my 170 to run stable. It was the same in the ASUS board, except I had to run more voltage for the 2.6 OC. I've tried every little configuration to get the 170 above 2.6, and it's not happening. I got some UCCC memory, which pretty much runs as specified, and doesn't OC great(DDR500, but I have it running at DDR520).

So far not so bad for my first build. IMHO the DFI board is the best RD580 board out there. I dunno about being the best 939 board, but with it's plethora of options and tweaks, this is yet to be seen. Some peeps are having trouble with it, and some are having a very easy time with it. This is how it goes. But, if you are just a moderate OCer, or you don't care to get TOO deep into it, don't bother with the DFI. It won't perform like it was built to perform if you don't really know what you are doing with it. It's very much like a sports clutch.

Yea, so there it is. I would welcome if anyone could throw an opinion my way as too something I might be able to tweak to push my gigs higher. :?