disabling RAID 0 without losing data - is it possible?

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I am using RAID 0 (i.e. my data is being written across two drives). After
using it for a while, I realize this is not the ideal configuration for what
I want to do. Ideally, I'd like to disable RAID and basically have one
drive be my operating system drive and have the other one serve as a storage
drive. Is there a way of doing this without having to do a reinstall of
Windows/losing all the data I have on there? Any help would be much
appreciated. I'm using XP Home Edition, should that matter. Thanks in
advance for your help.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Unable to do that with RAID..Why though would one be unsatisfied with
a more responsive disk array.If you set RAID as a mirrored set,try setting
to a striped set,the performance gained over mirrored is substantial,over a
IDE set is alot.

"Austin Newton Rice" wrote:

> I am using RAID 0 (i.e. my data is being written across two drives). After
> using it for a while, I realize this is not the ideal configuration for what
> I want to do. Ideally, I'd like to disable RAID and basically have one
> drive be my operating system drive and have the other one serve as a storage
> drive. Is there a way of doing this without having to do a reinstall of
> Windows/losing all the data I have on there? Any help would be much
> appreciated. I'm using XP Home Edition, should that matter. Thanks in
> advance for your help.

jvarga2

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
ok, i got a really lame, kludgy way...but requires no copying, no additional HDD, and only about $15..

1-disconnect the SATA cable from the 2nd drive (leave power in)
2- buy a SATA to USB adapter (i found on amazon for about 10 bux)
3- this is the kludgy part... instead of plugging in the SATA to the motherboard, plug the other end of the SATA into the converter and the other end of the converter back out of the PC cabinet and into a USB port (unless you can somehow connect it all internally)..

so basically, you are left with an internal SATA drive that is now treated like an EXternal USB drive, and you have a SATA cable sticking out of your PC and plugged back in via USB..

i told you it would be ugly..worked for me, though

How does this undo the RAID 0 array without losing any data? You can't simply remove one drive from a RAID 0 array and expect it to work. If it were RAID 1 or RAID 5, sure... but not 0.