Bethesda's Hearthfire DLC for Skrim Now on Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tobalaz[/nom]I'd MUCH RATHER buy a disk with a DLC compilation labeled as an "expansion" then get nickle and dimed to death by DLC.[/citation]

2 hours of entertainment per 5$ is my requirement. do you fill that requirement?
yes = i will buy from you
no = ill wait till goty

really i miss expantions, i dont care about disc or downloadable, but an expansion was basically more content added into a game that is out, sometimes matching or surpassing the original game in the process.

i dont like things like battle field 3 or modern warfare 3 giveing maps every few months, 3 for 15-20$

its sick what they are doing, and without a full on cracking of the game, users cant mod or regulate their own servers, though we know BF3 does support at least up to 128 player multiplayer

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Just loaded the 'Hearthfire' DLC and am looking forward to building my own place.

@tobalaz... I guess it comes down to choice. An expansion would cost say £20 and feature 4 DLC packs, but I may not want parts of it. So for me it is a waste of money if I only want 1,2 or 3 aspects of the 'expansion'. As for CD over downloads, it is the way that things are going, you just have to get used to it. I for one am happy to have the install on my HDD rather than hundreds of old CDs laying around in various cases.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Hmmm... Interesting the only games I ever wanted to have those kind of things were Dragon Age Origins (Morrigan) and Mass Effect 2 & 3 (Jack) Stupid Bioware not giving me what I want! I'll never be able to fully complete my virtual medieval and space rpg fantasies :(

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Not too interested in this DLC.

They should've made expansion with the player traveling to Solstheim. They could've reused many of the same models, textures, sounds and creatures from Skyrim (same climate and culture), and I would love to see how it's changed in 200 years (and 10 years of computer hardware advancements).

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]SchizoFrog[/nom]Just loaded the 'Hearthfire' DLC and am looking forward to building my own place.@tobalaz... I guess it comes down to choice. An expansion would cost say £20 and feature 4 DLC packs, but I may not want parts of it. So for me it is a waste of money if I only want 1,2 or 3 aspects of the 'expansion'. As for CD over downloads, it is the way that things are going, you just have to get used to it. I for one am happy to have the install on my HDD rather than hundreds of old CDs laying around in various cases.[/citation]

dlc
1 = 15
2 = 10
3 = 15
4 = 20
comes to 60$
all the content added together wouldn't have passed as a 20$ expansion 10 or 15 years ago

granted that is an example... but you pay less for a whole package than you do for the sum of the parts.

each of those small dlc things add up, and usualy now, add up to less than an expansion, but can cost significantly more.

In my case i wait till the game drops in price and has all the xpansions already in it.
This way i dont overpay, and i really am not in a rush to play a game, its like a good book, worth the wait.
Also i have to say that with skyrim, by the time i buy it, there is a chance it will already have a decent graphics overhaul, and a huge amount of user created contenet, improving the game in general.

Hel, im still playing oblivion and mass effect 2 (havent explored the full potential of those games yet, imagine that).

I am currently waiting for the full version "exansions included" version of Skyrim and Alan wake :D.

Thou i must admit from what ive seen, skyrim combat leaves little room for skill, and more on to character development (i loved that in oblivion you could actually dodge atacks from your enemies if you could predict their movement well enought).

On to building your own house... i like the idea. In oblivion i loved to find stuff to put in my homes (like silver plates forks and all that Jazz), so i think its a smart add on to a game like skyrim.

At this point its even hard to think of anything you could be missing in that game (if its anything like oblivion that is... does it have enchantments also?).

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
as players must not only defend their property from locals like vicious wolves, kidnappers and annoying giants, but they must protect the family in the process. When things go quiet, gamers must play with the kids, allow them to have pets, and so on... you know, family stuff.

"Guard your home from unwanted visitors like marauding kidnappers, armed bandits, and skeever infestations," reads the description. "Turn almost any follower into your personal steward to improve and protect your home. Or if you require more help, hire a personal bard or carriage driver to ease the burdens of home ownership."
Wait ... no guards to guard my home? i have to use my follower instead? Skyrim is all about guards & its dialogs.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
This downloadable content pack will set fans back $4.99, a mere sliver of a penny compared to how much it would really cost to purchase land and build a home from the ground up.
Yes because we all know you (the real-life you) can live in the virtual house you'll create in skyrim.

And no, it'll set some back by $64.98, technically.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]amoralman[/nom]I bet when you get a wife and kids, it's even more like real life; you can't have sex with the spouse[/citation]Talk about a example of how too much realism can hurt a game!

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I got the Vamp DLC and thought it was worth the money... I'll probably get this one too, my kid will enjoy it even if I don't do much with it - and to be honest I'd like to see a LOT more DLC for Skyrim - more content and more depth. I've picked up a lot of games since Skyrim... some (like Diablo III) didn't last more than a week before they got boring, but I still play Skyrim occasionally and have fun with it. Right now I'm playing Borderlands 2... then Torchlight 2... both are good games that will likely be fun to play for weeks, but in 6 months I won't be playing either but if there's new Skyrim DLC I'll still be playing it.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Why not just download creation kit? Build what you want where you want for free!
If i can do it, anyone can. Why pay 5 bucks for something that has limited options?

Status
Not open for further replies.