What steps do you do when setting up a custom AMD machine?

Everclearboy

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
What is the order you use for a custom AMD/Nvidia based machine.. Format using the WinXP CD first? Use another utility to partition? When do you install the Nforce Drivers? When do you install your graphic drivers?

I'd like some insight into the best way to set such machines up.. Thank you

Wael

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
I would like to second that question. :lol:

I'm ordering my parts at the end of this week, and once they get here I would love to have a plan to go on. I read that I should update the BIOS before intstalling anything on the mobo (its the new crossfire one), but beyond that is there a 'best' way to put things together?

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I generally do a full format with the xp cd, load xp, service pack 1, automatic updates, service pack 2, motherboard drivers, gpu drivers.
Service Pack 2 can be picky if you don't do a certain update, but I don't remember which one. Now this assumes a new/clean hard drive. If it is a fresh install on a used hard drive, I usually format with a linux OS, then proceed to above.

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
3rd!
My gear has been ordered, should be here tomorrow... I'm sure that I'll figure it out, but if anyone has a few tips to make life easier, I'd certainly appreciate 'em!

It might depend on your mobo, and also on your drive configuration. For my single SATA setup on an Abit KN8 Ultra a couple of months ago, I installed WinXP, then added the nForce and graphics drivers (GPU=6600) before loading anything else, or even connecting to my LAN and the internet. After some initial minor issues with the hard drive (because it was bigger than 117 GB), the system has performed flawlessly since.

kumana1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
with my current setup, here's what i did:

- build the system
- boot to winxp cd
- install on a clean partition (formatted partition during install)
- load windows, install updates
- install motherboard drivers, install video drivers

as far as the bios goes, i updated in windows with the abit flash utility

If it is a fresh build from scratch, I usually...

- install mobo / cpu / mem / gpu into the case & PS and connect the PS on header on and give it a test-fire and set up BIOS (if you can't get this far it is not difficult to troubleshoot since it is at a bare minimum.

-connect the other headers and a CD rom and boot up the ultimate boot cd and give memtest a run for at least a single pass, then run knoppix to get a full os running so I can run an instance or two of prime95 for linux and surf at the same time (since memtest is boring to look at). I like to give 8 hours for each to run overnight.

- At this point, good time to update the bios if needed since you have a relatively stable system. Hook up a floppy or make a CD since floppys are a dying breed... Time to install OS - connect your boot drive only, boot up to winxp (if you have time, a slipstreamed version of XP SP2 can be really handy if you only have an SP1 or earlier, or want to integrate raid or sata drivers). I usually wipe out all partitions then create an initial 20gb parition for c: (anything more is testing of my patience) then boot it up and start installing the mobo drivers, then the gpu drivers then mabe office and all 3rd party stuff like virus, firewall and spyware utils.

- Connect it up to the network, go on line and start all updates (I like to remain off line for the previous step - some call it paranoid, I call it security). When finished, connect your other HDs and create partitions or install linux or both. Run a disk image using ghost or something, save it to your new partition and to DVD you have a good DR plan that can be used to recover XP very quickly.

If it is a fresh build from scratch, I usually...

- install mobo / cpu / mem / gpu into the case & PS and connect the PS on header on and give it a test-fire and set up BIOS (if you can't get this far it is not difficult to troubleshoot since it is at a bare minimum.

-connect the other headers and a CD rom and boot up the ultimate boot cd and give memtest a run for at least a single pass, then run knoppix to get a full os running so I can run an instance or two of prime95 for linux and surf at the same time (since memtest is boring to look at). I like to give 8 hours for each to run overnight.

- At this point, good time to update the bios if needed since you have a relatively stable system. Hook up a floppy or make a CD since floppys are a dying breed... Time to install OS - connect your boot drive only, boot up to winxp (if you have time, a slipstreamed version of XP SP2 can be really handy if you only have an SP1 or earlier, or want to integrate raid or sata drivers). I usually wipe out all partitions then create an initial 20gb parition for c: (anything more is testing of my patience) then boot it up and start installing the mobo drivers, then the gpu drivers then mabe office and all 3rd party stuff like virus, firewall and spyware utils.

- Connect it up to the network, go on line and start all updates (I like to remain off line for the previous step - some call it paranoid, I call it security). When finished, connect your other HDs and create partitions or install linux or both. Run a disk image using ghost or something, save it to your new partition and to DVD you have a good DR plan that can be used to recover XP very quickly.

I pretty much do the same thing. Install a minimal setup with cpu, 1 stick of memory, cd rom, 1 hd (the system drive - all drives if it's a raid system disk), and vid card. Use the XP install (preferably slipstreamed with SP2) to format the hd. Next I update the bios, install mobo drivers, and perform memtest & prime95. If all has gone well, I add the rest of the components.

Also, I download all the newest drivers for everything before I start the install. rarely do I use the drivers that come with the gpu, mobo, whatever.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
I just did a reinstall, and here's what I did:

If you have the benefit of access to another PC with a CD-writer, get the latest drivers for all your hardware. I have more than one hard disc, so I was able to save the drivers to that.

Stick the winxp disc in your drive, format the disc and install XP.

Install the latest chipset drivers. Update BIOS.

This then allowed my mobo LAN chip to work, so I connect to the internet to update XP as required.

Installed GFX drivers.

Installed sound card.

Installed other hardware.

Defrag.

Reduce page file to minimum. Reboot, defrag, set page file to fixed size as desired.

Job done. Now I can start installing all my programs...

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
In anticipation of getting my hardware, I've been toolin' around looking for advice on tomorrow's build and I came across this piece from Corsair.

It has pictures.

I like pictures.

Between the advice here and Corsair, I can't wait for the FedEx man to arrive!

TRENDING THREADS