Rumor: Google Wants Nexus 7 in Smartphone Format

Status
Not open for further replies.
We ALREADY knew this from far more informed sites.
People can check the ACTUAL situation on AndroidCentral and other dedicated sites that keep them informed.
It's not about Nexus 7; it's about making the NEXUS brand easily recognizable and giving all the manufacturers a fair chance at making their own version of Nexus device(s).

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
All I want is stock Android support guaranteed for at LEAST 2 years without the OS being laggy, and I'll gladly jump ship to Android. Looks like my 4S contract couldn't expire at a more perfect time... hopefully.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]All I want is stock Android support guaranteed for at LEAST 2 years without the OS being laggy, and I'll gladly jump ship to Android. Looks like my 4S contract couldn't expire at a more perfect time... hopefully.[/citation]

You have that guarantee with any Nexus device, and are guaranteed the newest updates immediately (unless you are tied to a carrier or not on an unlocked device).

metamofo

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
*yawn* As highly unlikely as it is, wake me up when they start selling CDMA phones on their Google Play Store.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]metamofo[/nom]*yawn* As highly unlikely as it is, wake me up when they start selling CDMA phones on their Google Play Store.[/citation]
That will never happen because CDMA is
a.) localized to North America only and
b.) become extinct courtesy of LTE

So why would Google want to sell a flagship phone that only 300 million people could use, and they would have to use previous gen tech in?

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]Custom UI skins? Should that really be considered a Nexus then?[/citation]
I think what they mean is that its more like a different look, not a fundamental change in the way the OS works such as Sense or TouchWiz. Im thinking stylized windows etc. Basically NOTHING that can possibly need re-coding for every update in order to not slow down the update cycle of that given phone

G

I just want a phone with the latest updates, seriously. Here i am on android 4.0, when my friend have had a tablet with 4.1 for one month already. :(

G

Please no Custom UI. The Nexus program is meant to be a developer device, pure Google, UI and all... Give the manufacturers an inch and the only true Android devices we will ever see will come from Motorola, which is what the OEMs are so scared about now...

hannibal

Distinguished
use Google's stock Android

That is the most promising aspect of this release! It means that you can use standard Android upgrades on these phones and you don't have to wait normal phonemaker variant for long, long time and sometimes forever! So in the future if you want to have an Android phone with fast and regular software upgrades you just have to buy Nexus aproved phone. Very nice indeed! We just have to hope that those phones are good enough compared to normal Android phones. The caveat may be that phone makers will sell Nexus phones at higher price than their own Custom UI versions, because they will have less controll over them... I am hopefull but cautious at the same time.
Custom scins are easier to handle, because thet are just front end graphics and does not add or chance any functinality of the product. Like skins in winamp, VLC and other programs that only shance the outlook of the product.

G

As long as the device doesn't have a crappy, washed-out LCD like the Nexus 7 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.