Best DVD Media Type

Hello,
What's the best type of DVD to use for read-only and read/write applications? I'm a little out-of-date on this, haven't bought any in awhile. I remember things like DVD-R/RW and DVD+RW and such. I have a new machine running Win7, and an older laptop running XP.

Thank you kindly!
10 answers Last reply
More about best media type
  1. Thanks. Out of curiosity, what's the difference between +R and -R?

And if I want rewritable, then does the "R" just become "RW" on the package?

Thanks!
  2. I believe older DVD player had less issues with DVD+R than DVD-R, but I forgot the actual differences between the two formats.

"RW" means re-writable.

I use Verbatim DVD+R DL DVDs (from Singapore, not India). DL = dual layer = 8.5GB.

If you are going to playback your burnt DVDs in a standalone DVD player, then it is recommended that you burn at the rated speed of the DVD disc. DVD burners can allow you to burn faster than the rated speed, but that results in more write errors. While a DVD drive in a PC can handle those burnt discs, a standalone DVD player will mostly like stutter after a certain point.
  3. jaguarskx said:
    I believe older DVD player had less issues with DVD+R than DVD-R, but I forgot the actual differences between the two formats.

"RW" means re-writable.

I use Verbatim DVD+R DL DVDs (from Singapore, not India). DL = dual layer = 8.5GB.

If you are going to playback your burnt DVDs in a standalone DVD player, then it is recommended that you burn at the rated speed of the DVD disc. DVD burners can allow you to burn faster than the rated speed, but that results in more write errors. While a DVD drive in a PC can handle those burnt discs, a standalone DVD player will mostly like stutter after a certain point.

Thank you! This is most helpful to me. Have you used RW media much, any trouble with those?
  4. Don’t use RW DVD’s to store data. I find them generally unreliable for computer use and are obsolete technology. I would only consider using them for DVD recorders.
    Verbatim DVD’s are good although expensive I use Infiniti DVD’s which are cheap and very good.
    In general use DVD + disks for videos and DVD – for data backup although nowadays it doesn’t really matter much although you can change the book type on DVD+ disks.
    Sometimes you can get a more reliable burn if you burn the disk at a lower speed than the rated speed of the disk other times it makes no difference or can be slightly worse. To check out your burn quality I use a free program called Nero discspeed at this link.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Nero_DiscSpeed_d118.html
  5. verbatim plus or minus r,minus r works with almost anything you put it in!
  6. pjmelect said:
    Don’t use RW DVD’s to store data. I find them generally unreliable for computer use and are obsolete technology. I would only consider using them for DVD recorders.
    Verbatim DVD’s are good although expensive I use Infiniti DVD’s which are cheap and very good.
    In general use DVD + disks for videos and DVD – for data backup although nowadays it doesn’t really matter much although you can change the book type on DVD+ disks.
    Sometimes you can get a more reliable burn if you burn the disk at a lower speed than the rated speed of the disk other times it makes no difference or can be slightly worse. To check out your burn quality I use a free program called Nero discspeed at this link.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Nero_DiscSpeed_d118.html

Thank you - very helpful. I'll give that utility a try!
  7. In rereading your response, I wonder ... what is the "book type" on a DVD?
  8. The book type of a CD is a description of the type of media the CD or DVD is. For example DVD+, DVD-, DVD RW, DVD- DL, DVD +DL, DVD ROM etc. Some DVD players and software check for the correct type of media i.e. if the media is a writable disk or a ROM and if it is the wrong type will refuse to play it. DVD+ disks are unique in that you can tell the disc to lie about its book type so you can use them to pretend that they are a DVD ROM. Software that allows you to change the book type is for example imgburn.
  9. Thank you! Very clear!
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Read Only DVD Writers Windows 7 Product