HP LJ 5MP: max memory?

I have a 5MP with the standard 3MB. Looking around, I see people
selling 2x16MB SIMMs and saying the maximum is 35MB (only two slots
free).

However, I found someone selling 1x32MB SIMM and he says the printer
will recognize it and I can put in two.

Has anyone else tried this and made it work?

Thanks!
=andrew

andrew [awebber@wwwebbers.com]
--
for PGP public key, send email with "send public key" as subject

Alan

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:20:37 -0500, Andrew Webber
<awebber@wwwebbers.com> wrote:

>I have a 5MP with the standard 3MB. Looking around, I see people
>selling 2x16MB SIMMs and saying the maximum is 35MB (only two slots
>free).
>
>However, I found someone selling 1x32MB SIMM and he says the printer
>will recognize it and I can put in two.
>
>Has anyone else tried this and made it work?

See
<http://www.shawnbehrens.de/hplist.htm> has a list of various memory
options for HP lasers. Many take more than the original spec. However
he does say that the max SIMM for the 5MP is 16MB. But that may only
mean no one has tried 32 and reported it to him.
Quote: "I have the 4+, 4M+ and 6P down as supporting 16MB modules
only. I have received feedback that they support 32MB also, and
possibly that the maximum memory configuration quoted by HP can be
exceeded. Confirmation would be very welcome."

But any upgrade on 3MB would be good.

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:05:34 +0800, Alan <none@none.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:20:37 -0500, Andrew Webber
><awebber@wwwebbers.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a 5MP with the standard 3MB. Looking around, I see people
>>selling 2x16MB SIMMs and saying the maximum is 35MB (only two slots
>>free).
>>
>>However, I found someone selling 1x32MB SIMM and he says the printer
>>will recognize it and I can put in two.
>>
>>Has anyone else tried this and made it work?
>
>See
><http://www.shawnbehrens.de/hplist.htm> has a list of various memory
>options for HP lasers. Many take more than the original spec. However
>he does say that the max SIMM for the 5MP is 16MB. But that may only
>mean no one has tried 32 and reported it to him.
>Quote: "I have the 4+, 4M+ and 6P down as supporting 16MB modules
>only. I have received feedback that they support 32MB also, and
>possibly that the maximum memory configuration quoted by HP can be
>exceeded. Confirmation would be very welcome."
>
>But any upgrade on 3MB would be good.

Thanks Alan, I'm going to give the 32MB a shot. The seller assures me
I can return it if it doesn't work.

andrew [awebber@wwwebbers.com]
--
for PGP public key, send email with "send public key" as subject

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 21:07:53 -0500, Andrew Webber
<awebber@wwwebbers.com> wrote:

>>See
>><http://www.shawnbehrens.de/hplist.htm> has a list of various memory
>>options for HP lasers. Many take more than the original spec. However
>>he does say that the max SIMM for the 5MP is 16MB. But that may only
>>mean no one has tried 32 and reported it to him.
>>Quote: "I have the 4+, 4M+ and 6P down as supporting 16MB modules
>>only. I have received feedback that they support 32MB also, and
>>possibly that the maximum memory configuration quoted by HP can be
>>exceeded. Confirmation would be very welcome."
>>
>>But any upgrade on 3MB would be good.
>
>Thanks Alan, I'm going to give the 32MB a shot. The seller assures me
>I can return it if it doesn't work.

Following up on my own reply, I finally had a chance to install the
memory I bought on eBay. (I bought 2x32MB as the seller assured me
the LJ 5MP would recognize them for a total of 67MB). One works with
no problem, 35MB recognized! :) Unfortunately with the other
installed (same slot) the printer gets stuck with the two back lights
solid (I think the labels mean paper jam and tray 1 but I also think
that's probably not significant at startup). I'm inferring the SIMM
is bad.

Hope to send it back, but I'm only out U$5.50 if not. Any ideas on
what could be wrong (fixable) appreciated as I'd like to see if it
goes to 67MB.

And a funny story, I opened the printer and all three slots were
already occupied -- by two 16MB SIMMS with only 8 chips on each, which
I know is a no-no.

Thanks again for the help. I'll let the shawnbehrens.de site know
about this.

=andrew

andrew [awebber@wwwebbers.com]
--
for PGP public key, send email with "send public key" as subject

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:00:12 -0500, Andrew Webber
<awebber@wwwebbers.com> wrote:

>I finally had a chance to install the
>memory I bought on eBay. (I bought 2x32MB as the seller assured me
>the LJ 5MP would recognize them for a total of 67MB). One works with
>no problem, 35MB recognized! :) Unfortunately with the other
>installed (same slot) the printer gets stuck with the two back lights
>solid (I think the labels mean paper jam and tray 1 but I also think
>that's probably not significant at startup). I'm inferring the SIMM
>is bad.
>
>Hope to send it back, but I'm only out U$5.50 if not. Any ideas on
>what could be wrong (fixable) appreciated as I'd like to see if it
>goes to 67MB.
>
>And a funny story, I opened the printer and all three slots were
>already occupied -- by two 16MB SIMMS with only 8 chips on each, which
>I know is a no-no.
>
>Thanks again for the help. I'll let the shawnbehrens.de site know
>about this.

And today I installed a second 32MB SIMM received earlier this week as
a replacement. The printer now reports 67MB total memory and 38MB
available for PCL. Don't know if this will ever make a difference in
practice, but I wanted to report that it _did_ recognize two 32MB
SIMMs.

BTW, the eBay seller gave really good service, including quick
replacement of the defective part. His eBay ID is trxp and I would
recommend him based on my experience.

=aw