from Overclocked to underclocked.

the_pulp

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
i recently overclock my xfx 6600gt 256 mb card for the fourth time and it is giving very bad performance.even older games encounter low fps.how do i solve it.i tried everything,reinstalled windows 2 times and remove all OC software and running it at stock speed,ut the problem persists.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Try flashing the bios on the card,that may fix the problem.xfx should have the flash.Otherwise do what I did and just go out and buy a 7800gt.You will be impressed.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
You are running a __600 series card.

Solution: Deal with it ?

I'd suggest lowering detail to Low / Medium, even in older games.

Disable FSAA.

Run Medium detail textures, Set MipMaps to 3/4 quality

Run at 1024 x 768 (apx)

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
You can't expect a 6600 to still be 'uber'. If you OC'd it, you could have damaged the card? I'm no expert on overclocking but if you've reinstalled windows.....it's a hardware problem.

the_pulp

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
no.i have the latest driver's(84.30).is there any way to fix it.games gives poor performance at high settings,while earlier they run smoothly.does it mean's that my card is over. :( :( .helppppppppppppp!

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Like suggested before flash the bios with and editor sounds like the core volts has been turn to 1.3 when you get the editor change the lowering volts to 1.5 all of them and turn of the heat protection.

Platform/chipset drivers are important, that's true - almost as important in graphics than GPU drvers are.

While not top dogs anymore, 6x00 series card are far from being outdated: I play all my games in 1280*1024 (native LCD screen resolution), and I tried a bunch of demos on them. Apart from disabled FSAA (at those resolutions I consider it pretty much useless ), it goes pretty well.

Reading the release notes for the latest Forceware drivers, it looks like most 6600 cards need a BIOS flash - so yes, try that.

the_pulp

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
can i replace the card from nvidia office.what do u think,i make a story of psu failure and get a new card.can they detect how i overclocked it.

if it's still under warranty, probably - however in that case you'll ask the reseller, and not Nvidia.

Overclocking can be detected, but your problem doesn't look like it's been caused by overclocking - it's worth a shot.

However, if your card is still mostly working, they may refuse you an exchange because it still works when they test it. They could tell you your mobo is faulty, for example.

the_pulp

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
yes,my card is still under warrenty.my brother says the problem is with cpu becuz he noticed a low 3d mark 2003(cpu score) in it,but the graphic cards test are fine.a few days it suddenly stop working due to overheating but now it's fine.whaa do you,the problem is with cpu or graphic card.can u tell me the cpu score of 3d mark 2003 with intel pentium 4 630 3.0 ghz proc.if problem is with my car,d then is there any way they can repair it.brand is xfx.

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Never say never....
Maybe you oc'ed it too hard?? Maybe got a little greedy for performance, and pushed it?? Perhaps, like everyone says, your only shot at this is flashing your bios. Google it and see what you come up with. Other than that get the 7800gs, Its a stong card that will last you a while.
What do you go to loose? :twisted:
2x 150gb WD Raptor X
1gb Kingston Hyper X pc 4000
one big chilled rig :mrgreen:

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
If its oc'ed to hard it will rise temps on your card components and you entire system. Just reset to manufacture setting, and dont oc [H]ard if you aint got the coolage. A rule of thumb, if your going to be overclocking, be shure to invest in some really good coolers, it will save you problems with Oh [overheating] :twisted:

Comas

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Detecting optimal settings may still be a bit too much with the stock cooler. You should look for some Zalman VGA cooler or maybe Arctic cooling.

the_pulp

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,0/func,selectfolder/cat,70/page,1/

what do u think of it.flashing bios means,installing high end bios on a low end card.... correct me if i am wrong.i am unable to find xfx 6600gt pci e 256 mb,128 mb is available,can i download it.

you're either not looking very hard, or the bios has been added very recently

NEVER flash a BIOS with another card's if you don't know exactly what you're doing!!! There is no RAM detection built in the chip, it's hard-coded in the BIOS.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
:lol: :lol: :oops: I just flashed my bios but had to put my pants back on because the kids said DAD what you doing I said flashing the bios, is that the proper way I'm a noob with this and a first timer

oooh, it's very possible you blew up one of the resistors on your card - making your card identify itself asa quadro FX which it isn't; now, this opens different pathways in the driver, that the chip can't follow because it isn't exactly the right chip, neither is it the same RAM - may explain the slowdown.

Congrats, you just turned your Geforce into a workstation card :p

Worst thing is, yes, you did null the warranty when you overclocked it over manufacturer's settings. Get yourself a new card if you want to, but keep that one: it looks like it is working. You can also try to use Rivatuner to disable the QuadroFX optimizations - this may solve your slowdown problem.

try uninstalling Rivatuner and removing its boot-time driver (nvwrapper) if you still have it installed, and check if your card still identifies itself as a quadro; if it doesn't, then reinstall your display drivers.

the QuadroFX settings are found in the OpenGL tab.

BomberBill

Splendid
Jan 20, 2005
i recently overclock my xfx 6600gt 256 mb card for the fourth time and it is giving very bad performance.even older games encounter low fps.how do i solve it.i tried everything,reinstalled windows 2 times and remove all OC software and running it at stock speed,ut the problem persists.

Thats crap. You need to overclock the card up to 2000mhz - as xfx supports this feature for especially gifted overclockers.

TRENDING THREADS