epson R200

I bought a R200 about a month ago and i like the way it prints.But I
have a question.The sponge like stuff in it is getting wet with ink on
the far left side of the printer.I guess that is where it cleans the
cartriges.Does that sponge have to be changed ever so often.I looked at
the user's manual but it does not say anything about it.
j.h.
--

* Magic Is Believing In Yourself*

*if you can do that*

* You Can Make Anything Happen *

Do not muck with the sponge. Don't worry about it. It's supposed to do
that.

"John H." <jhensleys@att.net> wrote in message
> I bought a R200 about a month ago and i like the way it prints.But I
> have a question.The sponge like stuff in it is getting wet with ink on
> the far left side of the printer.I guess that is where it cleans the
> cartriges.Does that sponge have to be changed ever so often.I looked at
> the user's manual but it does not say anything about it.
> j.h.
> --
>

> * Magic Is Believing In Yourself*
>
> *if you can do that*
>
> * You Can Make Anything Happen *

"John H." <jhensleys@att.net> wrote in message
>I bought a R200 about a month ago and i like the way it prints.But I have a
>question.The sponge like stuff in it is getting wet with ink on the far
>left side of the printer.I guess that is where it cleans the cartriges.Does
>that sponge have to be changed ever so often.I looked at the user's manual
>but it does not say anything about it.
> j.h.

After a pre-determined number of cleaning sessions the printer will suddenly
decide that the sponge needs changing - an expensive service job that will
cost almost as much as the printer - and will refuse to work until the
sponge is renewed and the 'droplet counter' reset.

However, the SSC free Epson printer utility (widely available on the web)
will allow you to 'reset' the 'droplet counter' at the click of a mouse -
and, voila!, off goes the printer again.

I've had to use it on a C60 that we use for drafts - and it's extremely
effective. I suppose that eventually the sponge *will* come to the end of
its life - but it sure ain't worn out when the Epson printer says it is!

The SSC utility can also be used to reset Epson cartridges when the machine
declares them to be 'empty'. They almost always have another 10% of ink
left (but, in order to protect the print head, don't run them until the are
completely exhausted)

This information is not exactly accurate.

Yes, all Epson printers could the number and type of cleaning session
done and at a certain point, depending upon the model and size of the
waste ink pads, the printer will stop and ask you to do a service call
to get those waste ink pads replaced, so the ink will not start dripping
onto your nice desk or other furniture and carpet.

Those pads are usually under the printer mechanism and not visible, and
it takes quite a lot of printing and cleaning to get that number to come
up, for most people 2 years or longer.

There are also several other areas where ink may end up. The cleaning
station to the right, where the head parks when it is done, also has a
small sponge in some models and the ink is pulled below that station
through some tubes and ends up in the same waste ink pad.

Some Epson printers also have another small funnel on the left side
where a very small amount of ink is expressed from the head to make sure
it is clear during printing, that area also usually drained into the
waste ink pads, but with pigment colorant inks, sometimes that area will
block up causing a small puddle of ink that should me sopped up.
Lastly, Epson printers which do borderless printing overspray or
overshoot the edge of the print, so that you don't end up with any white
line there. This ink ends up on a thin black foam that is under the
heads and glued onto the platform the head rides over. If there seems
to be too much press the area clean with a mild detergent until the
paper towel looks clean from ink, allow the area to dry before printing
more through the printer.

Art

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:56:03 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
wrote:

>Lastly, Epson printers which do borderless printing overspray or
>overshoot the edge of the print, so that you don't end up with any white
>line there. This ink ends up on a thin black foam that is under the
>heads and glued onto the platform the head rides over.

This information is not exactly accurate. The thin black foam is not
glued onto the lower paper guide (what you call platform). The ink
that is sprayed on the foam eventually drips down to the waste ink
pads. The foam can be considered as a user replaceable item.

>Yes, all Epson printers could the number and type of cleaning session
>done and at a certain point, depending upon the model and size of the
>waste ink pads, the printer will stop and ask you to do a service call

>to get those waste ink pads replaced, so the ink will not start
dripping
>onto your nice desk or other furniture and carpet.

I was very stupid and did not read the manul carefully, I thought my
printer was dead when it stopped printing and asked me to call epson. I
had it replaced by epson already and just got my printer back few weeks
ago.
But now, I already got rid off this problem by using InkRepublic.com's
iINK bulk ink kit.
I have been told by their people that their chipset can reduce the
cleaning cycles.

When I turn on the printer, it does "quick" cleaning where it just uses
a little bit ink on cleaning.(I guess they call it SIMPLE cleaning
rather than Epson chipset's FULL cleaning). When the chipset reset ink
to 100%, it does simple cleaning too, not FULL cycle. Only about one
out of 20, their chipset does FULL cycle. I am very interested their
algorithm to avoid wasting ink on cleaning and how do they reset the
ink level without doing FULL cycle. But this design does make my wasted
pad last longer than before and save me more money on ink. You can
check their website and get more reference: http://www.InkRepublic.com

I was referred by Andrew, not sure if anybody here tried out their
system for exensive printer R800?

Ronald, Ink Republic has asked that these fake referrals please stop.

They don't like people spamming these groups, and have told me they do
not like their secondary agents posting these types of emails.

I have seen your posts on several newsgroups under several names.

I would ask you to please stop doing this. It does not help sales of
Ink Republic's products because it just angers people who do not like
spam and this type of game playing.

Ink Republic may indeed have a good product, but some objective comments
from people who have no relationship with the sale of the product will
go a lot further than a fake testimony.

Art