plz help with new computer!!!

rictorious

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Hi, just recently built new pc but i have some problems. motherboard has power and when it is turned on most of the components and fans are running. But when its turned on the motherboard doesnt boot up (no beep sound), monitor doesnt power up and dvd rom doesnt run either (dunno, that might just be broken, either way with or without dvdrom the system still doesnt boot)

Im pretty sure i installed everything properly, but when i put in the heatsink + fan it did take an effort maybe i broke the cpu. Would the motherboard boot up if cpu is broke?? Or does anyone have any other ideas? plz help, with love :D

rictorious

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
forgot specs :p

Antec Sonata II case
Asus A8N-SLi nForce4
Athlon 64 3700+
GF6800XT
2 gig crucial DDR 3200
Seagate Barracuda SATA-II

1. Ensure you only have mainboard standoffs where required, an extra one will casue a short...

2. Aux cpu power header connected to mainboard?

3. WIth your dvd drive not appearing to power on, you definitely might have a DOA power supply...(Do you have an old CD ROM you can slave in to see if it spins at all when powered on with a disc installed? )

(what sort of rig are you running? For example, going with a 300-350 watt PSU with an X2-4800 and a set of Crossfire 1900XT/XTX cards and two Raptors in RAID 0 would be a bad idea!)

rictorious

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
1. I see the 9 holes for the stand offs and only put in the 9 which fitted perfectly

2. erm wot is that :p

3. dont have a spare cd-rom but i do have an old pc ( without cd r :p) so will check if the dvd-r will work on my old pc. But i dont really have much that will eat up 450w, i only use 1 Ath-64 single core cpu, 1 gfx, 2 gig ram 1 SATA-II drive and 1 pci slot for soundcard.