Hark ! Mobo madness !

Albireo13

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
This is my third pc build but I'm pretty basic, no OCing in the plans.
I want a new pc rig for the family and some decent gaming.
I'm after stability, reliability, and good-exc. basic performance.
I like Athlon64/nForce4 type board.
I'm not into SLi. My budget is <$100 for the mobo and I have my sights set on the following as candidiates:

Asus A8N-E
Abit KN8 Ultra
MSI K8N Neo4-F
DFI nForce4 Ultra INfinity

and as a wild card, I've heard good things about Biostar TForce6100-939 !

I don't want a "fussy" board since I want to avoid becoming a home IT administrator! Which would you guys pick?
I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Rob

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I've seen people say the DFI can be overcomplicated to set up - it's the best board (especially for overlockers), but is a bit more fiddly than the others. I've not used one myself though.

I've not liked Asus boards for a while, as they tend not to be particularly good overclockers, but because of that I haven't used one recently either, although from what I've seen they're still a mid-level board with a high-end price tag.

MSI I've heard are a bit hit and miss these days... You either get a great product, or a lemon.

For your needs, I think the Abit is probably the one to go for. I have the KN8 Ultra myself, and am quite happy with it. If I was buying again now though, I might go for the DFI, but probably not.

Not got a clue on the BIOSTAR.....

In all honesty, assuming it's not DOA, there's not much between them at all unless you're overclocking.