athlon xp 2100+
1 gig kingston pc2100
200gig hd
350w psu
4x dvd +/- R/RW

new parts:
2x hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150
sound?

question is i'm trying to get this dvr/htpc to connect to my yamaha receiver(connects to 5.1 floor and cabinent speakers). what do i need if i want to use composite cables for sound? also, having dual tv tuners allows me to dual record two tv programs at once right?

gambit6259

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
If you have two tuners you should be able to record two shows at once or watch one and record another. As far as the sound goes I am not sure what you will need to connect to your yamaha.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
You can record 2 shows at the same time in theory but in practise I'm not sure that Athlon 2100+ will be able to encode 2 files at the same time in good enough quality. That's where dual core/processor comes in handy. You might be surprised, but I wouldn't bet on it.

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I have the PVR-150 in my HTPC, it has a hardware encoder, so its zero load on the CPU. Why not just save some hassle and get a PVR-500? Its essentially dual 150s on one card.

If you want to use composite cables, all you need is an adapter that converts a 3.5mm stereo jack to the red/white composite connectors. They are cheap and widely available.

Now, if you're going to use your HTPC for DVD watching, then you will want a sound card with SPDIF out, either in coaxial (looks just like a yellow composite video connector) or optical.

damnhao

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I have the PVR-150 in my HTPC, it has a hardware encoder, so its zero load on the CPU. Why not just save some hassle and get a PVR-500? Its essentially dual 150s on one card.

If you want to use composite cables, all you need is an adapter that converts a 3.5mm stereo jack to the red/white composite connectors. They are cheap and widely available.

Now, if you're going to use your HTPC for DVD watching, then you will want a sound card with SPDIF out, either in coaxial (looks just like a yellow composite video connector) or optical.

wow great, finally a good answer. anyway, i'm wondering if those 3.5mm stereo converter will jeopardize sound? also, what sound card do you recommend? an audigy or x-fi? model number?