Question on Pentium D 930

Zyy

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Currently looking for cpu upgrade, I have a few question regarding to Pentium D 930 series, particularly BX80553930T model. I read it somewhere, but not sure if it’s true that the dual-core with hyperthread support actually runs slower than the ones without hyperthread? Also with intel pushing out new line of cpu soon, would it be wiser to wait for that instead? Would hope the upgrade can hold out for couple years instead of becoming obsolete quickly. Anyone with experience running the model along with SLI ran into any technicial or performance issues? Wonder if Intel & Nvidia can work well together or I should take the AMD route instead. Lastly any recommendation on a low noise cooling device? Any help would be appreicated. Thanks in advance. :D

pat

Expert
Currently looking for cpu upgrade, I have a few question regarding to Pentium D 930 series, particularly BX80553930T model. I read it somewhere, but not sure if it’s true that the dual-core with hyperthread support actually runs slower than the ones without hyperthread? Also with intel pushing out new line of cpu soon, would it be wiser to wait for that instead? Would hope the upgrade can hold out for couple years instead of becoming obsolete quickly. Anyone with experience running the model along with SLI ran into any technicial or performance issues? Wonder if Intel & Nvidia can work well together or I should take the AMD route instead. Lastly any recommendation on a low noise cooling device? Any help would be appreicated. Thanks in advance. :D

First, only EE (extreme edition) Intel dual core support hyperthreading. The 930D don't have any hyperthreading capability.

No, you should not wait. new cpu can always be bought anytime. Time wasted waiting cannot be bought back.

SLI, or crossfire is imho, not really necessary, as usually, one good video card is sufficient enough.

As for low noise cooling device.. well, with Intel, SLI and everything, unless you go water, don't expect anything quiet.

If you want to go dual core, SLI and quiet, better take the AMD route right now..

gpfear

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Wait and see, its too close to release time to base a system on yesterdays processor. Even if you wanted to build a system with a pentium D 930, the price break from the new processors being out would be benefit enough. Make sure to get a motherboard that would support Conroe and upgrade later.