Cann't find files that I know are there

Several days ago I posted a version of the following message to this
newsgroup:

(1) -------------- THE ORIGINAL POSTING.--------------
(2) ----- Please read it and continue with line (3) below -----

I look at a particular subdirectory on one of my drives and see three files,
NAME.abc', 'NAME.abc' and 'NAME.abc'. I do a search on 'NAME.*' within the
subdirectory that contains the three files. The three files are very nicely
found in the search. I change the search so that it is done on the entire
partition that contains the subdirectory. The modified search comes up with
nothing. What's going on? How can I correct the problem?

I've been noticing this sort of thing going on for quite awhile. I have
reinstalled windows XP, both complete and partial, several times and have
observed it as occuring after each of the reinstalls. I had a response to
the previous posting that indicates that other people might have experienced
the same inability to find files that I have. If so my reaction is that the
issue poses a pretty basic flaw in Windows XP. I conclude that the problem
is an inherent part of Windows XP, yet I don't see any mention of it in the
newsgroups.

What is wrong with my logic?

(3) -----------------------------------------------------------

I had a response to my previous posting from 'Sharon F'. She indicated that
I should Open Search in the left hand panel, and there I should "Click on
'More Advanced Options' and that I would then find an option called 'search
subfolders'."

I did just what she suggested and I don't see the item "More Advanced
Options". I opened the search command above the Run Command on the main
menu, and even spent some time opening a variety of screens looking for the
mentioned item.

"Sharon F" (or anyone else who would like to help me): Can you be more
specific about how to find the "search subfolders" item?

Don J
1 answer Last reply
More about cann find files there

    Hi, Don.

    > Several days ago I posted a version of the following message to this
    > newsgroup:

    > I had a response to my previous posting from 'Sharon F'.

    Please continue the existing thread, rather than start a new one. Find your
    original post and Sharon's Reply to it, then Reply to her post there. Do
    not click New until you are ready to change the subject.

    When I click the Search button in Windows Explorer, I don't see "More
    Advanced Options", but below the Search Now box there is a clickable line
    that says "Search Options >>". When I click this, I get a drop-down list of
    Date, Type, Size and "Advanced Options". When I check the box for this, I
    see a drop-down list of 5 more options, including Search Subfolders.

    Your original example may be flawed, or it may be simply a typo.

    > I look at a particular subdirectory on one of my drives and see three
    > files, NAME.abc', 'NAME.abc' and 'NAME.abc'. I do a search on 'NAME.*'
    > within the

    It appears that you have 3 files with the identical name within the same
    folder, which is not allowed; there must be some variation, however slight.
    Perhaps your example should have used something like NAME.abc, NAME.def and
    NAME.abd.

    I'll defer to Sharon for the substantive part of your question. I seldom
    use Search. As an old DOS addict, I'm more comfortable opening a "DOS"
    window and typing: dir name.* /s/a

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Don J" <dej8800@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Several days ago I posted a version of the following message to this
    > newsgroup:
    >
    > (1) -------------- THE ORIGINAL POSTING.--------------
    > (2) ----- Please read it and continue with line (3) below -----
    >
    > I look at a particular subdirectory on one of my drives and see three
    > files, NAME.abc', 'NAME.abc' and 'NAME.abc'. I do a search on 'NAME.*'
    > within the subdirectory that contains the three files. The three files
    > are very nicely found in the search. I change the search so that it is
    > done on the entire partition that contains the subdirectory. The modified
    > search comes up with nothing. What's going on? How can I correct the
    > problem?
    >
    > I've been noticing this sort of thing going on for quite awhile. I have
    > reinstalled windows XP, both complete and partial, several times and have
    > observed it as occuring after each of the reinstalls. I had a response to
    > the previous posting that indicates that other people might have
    > experienced the same inability to find files that I have. If so my
    > reaction is that the issue poses a pretty basic flaw in Windows XP. I
    > conclude that the problem is an inherent part of Windows XP, yet I don't
    > see any mention of it in the newsgroups.
    >
    > What is wrong with my logic?
    >
    > (3) -----------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > I had a response to my previous posting from 'Sharon F'. She indicated
    > that I should Open Search in the left hand panel, and there I should
    > "Click on 'More Advanced Options' and that I would then find an option
    > called 'search subfolders'."
    >
    > I did just what she suggested and I don't see the item "More Advanced
    > Options". I opened the search command above the Run Command on the main
    > menu, and even spent some time opening a variety of screens looking for
    > the mentioned item.
    >
    > "Sharon F" (or anyone else who would like to help me): Can you be more
    > specific about how to find the "search subfolders" item?
    >
    > Don J

Windows XP