Cann't find files that I know are there

Several days ago I posted a version of the following message to this
newsgroup:

(1) -------------- THE ORIGINAL POSTING.--------------
(2) ----- Please read it and continue with line (3) below -----

I look at a particular subdirectory on one of my drives and see three files,
NAME.abc', 'NAME.abc' and 'NAME.abc'. I do a search on 'NAME.*' within the
subdirectory that contains the three files. The three files are very nicely
found in the search. I change the search so that it is done on the entire
partition that contains the subdirectory. The modified search comes up with
nothing. What's going on? How can I correct the problem?

I've been noticing this sort of thing going on for quite awhile. I have
reinstalled windows XP, both complete and partial, several times and have
observed it as occuring after each of the reinstalls. I had a response to
the previous posting that indicates that other people might have experienced
the same inability to find files that I have. If so my reaction is that the
issue poses a pretty basic flaw in Windows XP. I conclude that the problem
is an inherent part of Windows XP, yet I don't see any mention of it in the
newsgroups.

What is wrong with my logic?

(3) -----------------------------------------------------------

I had a response to my previous posting from 'Sharon F'. She indicated that
I should Open Search in the left hand panel, and there I should "Click on
'More Advanced Options' and that I would then find an option called 'search
subfolders'."

I did just what she suggested and I don't see the item "More Advanced
Options". I opened the search command above the Run Command on the main
menu, and even spent some time opening a variety of screens looking for the
mentioned item.

"Sharon F" (or anyone else who would like to help me): Can you be more
specific about how to find the "search subfolders" item?

Don J

Hi, Don.

> Several days ago I posted a version of the following message to this
> newsgroup:

> I had a response to my previous posting from 'Sharon F'.

Please continue the existing thread, rather than start a new one. Find your
original post and Sharon's Reply to it, then Reply to her post there. Do
not click New until you are ready to change the subject.

When I click the Search button in Windows Explorer, I don't see "More
Advanced Options", but below the Search Now box there is a clickable line
that says "Search Options >>". When I click this, I get a drop-down list of
Date, Type, Size and "Advanced Options". When I check the box for this, I
see a drop-down list of 5 more options, including Search Subfolders.

Your original example may be flawed, or it may be simply a typo.

> I look at a particular subdirectory on one of my drives and see three
> files, NAME.abc', 'NAME.abc' and 'NAME.abc'. I do a search on 'NAME.*'
> within the

It appears that you have 3 files with the identical name within the same
folder, which is not allowed; there must be some variation, however slight.
Perhaps your example should have used something like NAME.abc, NAME.def and
NAME.abd.

I'll defer to Sharon for the substantive part of your question. I seldom
use Search. As an old DOS addict, I'm more comfortable opening a "DOS"
window and typing: dir name.* /s/a

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA