AMD/ Intel Compare

Status
Not open for further replies.

moeen49

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
Hi,

I am quite familiar with Intel CPUs and history, but I have no idea about AMD family. Is there any chart that shows the equivalent AMD CPU for each Intel brand?

Since AMD systems are usually faster and cheaper than Intel’s equivalent system, I am thinking to buy an AMD system. Can I assume that AMD systems are as robust and reliable as Intel systems?

Thanks,
Alan

I made the switch to AMD back in 2003 and never regretted it. AMD processors are just as reliable as Intel's. I currently have an Athlon 64 3200+ that runs at 2,000 mhz.

For processor compairsons I highly recommend Tom's CPU charts. Pick a benchmark that is most appropriate for you. For me, I use the gaming benchmarks.

Tom's Hardware Guide CPU Charts:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

I am also required by forum law to refer to an excellent reference guide made by MadModMike. It is very thourough and only somewhat-AMD biased:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Ultimate-Hardware-Guide-Update-12-06-ftopict175096.html

Hope this helps!

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
ok to be unbiased... the truth is that Intel was faster than AMD, until the last generation, P4 versus Athlon 64. At stock, AMD is faster (for the price),... for me the point of dispute is whether with overclocking, AMD is still faster, but I'll leave that out. Now, with Conroe, from what I can see, and a lot of other people, it appears to be a big performance increase, this based on what Intel says will be included, and some benchmarks... however, the finished product has not come out, so no one, including myself, can say for sure. We need to wait and see, but I expect Conroe to be faster than AM2. Just my guess. We will see.

RichPLS

Champion
AnandTech's recent article on just reviewing an engineering sample indicates AM2 is non-steller performance increase clock for clock.

Conroe due in a couple months tho as per AnandTech and Victor Wang appear to be indicative that Conroe will be faster than AMD's upcoming AM2 FX-60, and will cost less than half what the selling price is.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
A M 2 / A M 3 W i l l F l y W i t h D D R 3

You are aware of the actual changes that DDR3 will bring?

Yeah, I heard from this blog: http://sharikou.blogspot.com/ that AMD will transform it into DNA based computing, called DNA3 with Uber_hyper_supder_duper_transport technology and it will plug directly into you left nostril and interface with your brain -- Intel doesn't stand a chance. :) :)

Word.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
A M 2 / A M 3 W i l l F l y W i t h D D R 3

You are aware of the actual changes that DDR3 will bring?

Yeah, I heard from this blog: http://sharikou.blogspot.com/ that AMD will transform it into DNA based computing, called DNA3 with Uber_hyper_supder_duper_transport technology and it will plug directly into you left nostril and interface with your brain -- Intel doesn't stand a chance. :) :)

Word.

Thought I would get a Word. from you on that one :wink:

:D Word.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I Wish they make some of those Electron floating CPUs with no physical Cores but rather just give the Die an instruction and tell it to Partition it self Virtual cores and it'll start processing on the "virtual Electron cores", they have it in prototype but they can't translate anything the virtual processers are giving back. But i do hope soon they get it to work

This would mean no need for Cores or dual-cores or any cores in fact. Just buy a processer and Partition it to 100 Cores and start running your Half Life 2

Anyone remember or have link to that Electron processer or that one they make electrons float on electric charges to act as virtual processers??

HoldenMcGroin

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Anyone remember or have link to that Electron processer or that one they make electrons float on electric charges to act as virtual processers??

At first I thought he was on crack. Now I realize I'm the one on crack.

Doesn't this thread ring familiar as being answered and debated on numerous other threads, I mean the AMD/Intel arguments?

karthik_v501

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
ya really , amd is a better and long term performer than intel .But due lack of marketing and advertising techniques amd seems like a 2nd choice than intel . but otherwise it is robust and fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.