Where'd my hard drive space go?

I went to install WXP SP2 and I was struggling to find enough space to
install it on the partition. I looked at the main folders: Program Files,
Windows, Documents and Settings (other folders had relatively trivial
amounts) and all three combined were still about a gigabyte (more or less)
less than what the drive partition total itself reported.

Is there extra data not normally accountable viewing the folders' amounts,
and could it be superfluous and removable?
5 answers Last reply
More about where hard drive space

    Hi,

    Take a look at the pagefile.sys, a hidden system file on the root of the
    system drive. It's size may surprise you.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "William Low" <wlowNOSPAM@fuse.net> wrote in message
    >I went to install WXP SP2 and I was struggling to find enough space to
    >install it on the partition. I looked at the main folders: Program Files,
    >Windows, Documents and Settings (other folders had relatively trivial
    >amounts) and all three combined were still about a gigabyte (more or less)
    >less than what the drive partition total itself reported.
    >
    > Is there extra data not normally accountable viewing the folders' amounts,
    > and could it be superfluous and removable?

    DO NOT delete the pagefile.sys file after you've taken a look at it.
    It is the system memory swap file.

    > Hi,
    >
    > Take a look at the pagefile.sys, a hidden system file on the root of
    the
    > system drive. It's size may surprise you.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "William Low" <wlowNOSPAM@fuse.net> wrote in message
    > >I went to install WXP SP2 and I was struggling to find enough space
    > >install it on the partition. I looked at the main folders: Program
    Files,
    > >Windows, Documents and Settings (other folders had relatively
    trivial
    > >amounts) and all three combined were still about a gigabyte (more
    or less)
    > >less than what the drive partition total itself reported.
    > >
    > > Is there extra data not normally accountable viewing the folders'
    amounts,
    > > and could it be superfluous and removable?

    Right! But you can put it on a different volume, if you have one, freeing
    up some space in your boot volume. Go to System Properties | Advanced |
    Performance Settings | Advanced | Virtual Memory Change. Pick a volume
    other than your Boot Volume (C:?), choose System managed size, and click
    Set. Then pick your Boot Volume, check No paging file, and click Set again.
    You may have to reboot to let WinXP complete the switch; after rebooting,
    you can delete C:\pagefile.sys and leave your new one on D: or wherever you
    chose to put it.

    If you use hibernation, the hidden hiberfil.sys file will also be here. You
    cannot move this one, but you can turn off hibernation then delete the file
    until after your update is finished, then enable it again.

    Of course, you should also delete your Temp files and cache, then empty your
    Recycle Bin, but I'm sure you've already done these steps.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
    > DO NOT delete the pagefile.sys file after you've taken a look at it.
    > It is the system memory swap file.

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Take a look at the pagefile.sys, a hidden system file on the root of
    > the
    >> system drive. It's size may surprise you.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "William Low" <wlowNOSPAM@fuse.net> wrote in message
    >> >I went to install WXP SP2 and I was struggling to find enough space
    >> >install it on the partition. I looked at the main folders: Program
    > Files,
    >> >Windows, Documents and Settings (other folders had relatively
    > trivial
    >> >amounts) and all three combined were still about a gigabyte (more
    > or less)
    >> >less than what the drive partition total itself reported.
    >> >
    >> > Is there extra data not normally accountable viewing the folders'
    > amounts,
    >> > and could it be superfluous and removable?

    Hi,

    Who said anything about deleting it? I simply said to look at it to explain
    the drive space loss. Besides, you can't delete it while it's in use.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
    > DO NOT delete the pagefile.sys file after you've taken a look at it.
    > It is the system memory swap file.

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Take a look at the pagefile.sys, a hidden system file on the root of
    > the
    >> system drive. It's size may surprise you.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "William Low" <wlowNOSPAM@fuse.net> wrote in message
    >> >I went to install WXP SP2 and I was struggling to find enough space
    >> >install it on the partition. I looked at the main folders: Program
    > Files,
    >> >Windows, Documents and Settings (other folders had relatively
    > trivial
    >> >amounts) and all three combined were still about a gigabyte (more
    > or less)
    >> >less than what the drive partition total itself reported.
    >> >
    >> > Is there extra data not normally accountable viewing the folders'
    > amounts,
    >> > and could it be superfluous and removable?

    | "William Low" <wlowNOSPAM@fuse.net>
    | Message news:uy4rZpulEHA.2588@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl
    | I went to install WXP SP2 and I was struggling to find enough space to
    | install it on the partition. I looked at the main folders: Program Files,
    | Windows, Documents and Settings (other folders had relatively trivial
    | amounts) and all three combined were still about a gigabyte (more or less)
    | less than what the drive partition total itself reported.
    |
    | Is there extra data not normally accountable viewing the folders' amounts,
    | and could it be superfluous and removable?

    If the volume is formatted NTFS, perhaps the following Microsoft Knowledge
    Base Article can help you troubleshoot your disk space issue:

    KB315688 - How to Locate and Correct Disk Space Problems on NTFS
    Volumes in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;315688

    And, as explained in KB315688, if you do find that a malicious user has
    secretly copied files, and then removed or restricted NTFS permissions on
    those files, you may want to do some additional security checks. That is,
    check your folder shares, check the status of the Guest Account, and check
    for Anonymous Access. To automate this see the following:

    TechNet Home | Community | columns | scripts
    Tales from the Script - November 2003
    If Scripting is Outlawed, only Outlaws will have Scripts
    By The Scripting Guys
    Task No. 11: Check Status of the Guest Account
    Task No. 12: Check for Anonymous Access
    Task No. 14: Check Shares and Share Permissions
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/scripts/sg1103.mspx

    NOTE: To run a WMI Script, save the results to a text file, and
    avoid the numerous pop-up message boxes that result if you simply
    double-click the script file, or the blur of lines if you run it
    from the command prompt, use the following redirection technique.

    - Copy the script and paste it into Notepad

    - Save it with the file extension .vbs. For example,
    C:\shares.vbs

    - Open the command prompt (cmd.exe) to the folder containing the
    script. For example, C:\

    - Use the cscript command and the redirection operator.
    For example: cscript shares.vbs > shares.txt

    - When the command prompt returns you will find the
    shares.txt file in the C:\ folder with a list of all the shared
    folders on a computer

    For more information see the following:

    TechNet Home | Community | columns > scripts
    Tales from the Script - April 2003
    Script Output that Sticks Around
    By The Scripting Guys
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/scripts/sg0403.mspx

    Related information:

    To configure the command prompt so that you can type the first
    few letters of a file or folder name, and then use TAB on the
    keyboard to automatically complete the file or folder name see
    the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

    KB310530 - HOW TO: Use Automatic Completion with a Command Prompt
    in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;310530

    To configure Windows Explorer so that you can right-click a
    folder, select an option from the context menu, and have the
    command prompt open to that folder, see the following Web Site
    and download CmdHere.exe

    Windows XP Professional | Downloads
    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP
    Open Command Window Here
    CmdHere.exe
    514 KB file
    2 min @ 28.8 Kbps

    Alternatively, see the following column for a method to manually
    add the "CMD Prompt Here" right-click option to the Directory and
    Drive program classes.

    Windows XP Home
    Columns | Columns Archive | Jerry Honeycutt
    Tweaking Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer
    SECTION: Open Command Prompts at Folder Level
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/honeycutt/03june09.asp

Partition Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP