i850 and Kodak photo paper ...

Hi,

When I use the Kodak Ultimate Photo paper pro 4x6(270g/sq mt, there are
some bands in the low part of the pic. But I use genuine Canon
cardridges (compatible ones had once clogged the print head :-(((( )
Canon tech support told me that it was because I did not use Canon
paper, the only one which fits over 105g/sq mt...
Is it true ?

Thanks
12 answers Last reply
More about i850 kodak photo paper

    "Eddy" <eamouri_nospam@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >

    > When I use the Kodak Ultimate Photo paper pro 4x6(270g/sq mt, there are
    > some bands in the low part of the pic. But I use genuine Canon
    > cardridges (compatible ones had once clogged the print head :-(((( )
    > Canon tech support told me that it was because I did not use Canon
    > paper, the only one which fits over 105g/sq mt...
    > Is it true ?
    >
    > Thanks

    I have an i850. I have had success with Cannon, Epson, Office Depot
    and Konica paper. The others that I have tried including Kodak
    do not seem to absorb the ink fast enough. This may be because
    this printer uses dye inks for color and pigmented ink for black.
    Color pictures use both color and black ink.

    Is this: #1 a multi color banding on the bottom inch of the paper or #2 is
    it more a series of fine lines throughout the print? If the problem is #1
    then try putting a sticky note onto the bottom of the paper to make the
    paper appear longer to the printer. If #2, it is most likely the paper
    setting. Try using the plain paper setting.
    --
    Ron Cohen

    "ray" <ce89012@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Eddy" <eamouri_nospam@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>

    >> When I use the Kodak Ultimate Photo paper pro 4x6(270g/sq mt, there are
    >> some bands in the low part of the pic. But I use genuine Canon
    >> cardridges (compatible ones had once clogged the print head :-(((( )
    >> Canon tech support told me that it was because I did not use Canon
    >> paper, the only one which fits over 105g/sq mt...
    >> Is it true ?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    > I have an i850. I have had success with Cannon, Epson, Office Depot
    > and Konica paper. The others that I have tried including Kodak
    > do not seem to absorb the ink fast enough. This may be because
    > this printer uses dye inks for color and pigmented ink for black.
    > Color pictures use both color and black ink.

    That is true only for plain paper mode. When using photo paper settings,
    black is a composite of the three photo ink tanks and the pigmented ink
    isn't used. The following links explain it in better detail.
    http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Canon%20i865/page_5.htm
    Kodak paper is has a swellable polymer coating while the others are
    microporous. Microporous is also known as "instant dry". SP paper takes a
    long time to dry.
    --
    Ron Cohen

    "Ron Cohen" <drc023@N^O+S~P^A^M.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > "ray" <ce89012@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Eddy" <eamouri_nospam@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
    > >> Hi,
    > >>

    > >> When I use the Kodak Ultimate Photo paper pro 4x6(270g/sq mt, there are
    > >> some bands in the low part of the pic. But I use genuine Canon
    > >> cardridges (compatible ones had once clogged the print head :-(((( )
    > >> Canon tech support told me that it was because I did not use Canon
    > >> paper, the only one which fits over 105g/sq mt...
    > >> Is it true ?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >
    > > I have an i850. I have had success with Cannon, Epson, Office Depot
    > > and Konica paper. The others that I have tried including Kodak
    > > do not seem to absorb the ink fast enough. This may be because
    > > this printer uses dye inks for color and pigmented ink for black.
    > > Color pictures use both color and black ink.
    > >

    > That is true only for plain paper mode. When using photo paper settings,
    > black is a composite of the three photo ink tanks and the pigmented ink
    > isn't used. The following links explain it in better detail.

    This is not true for my i850. It uses black ink in photos for any grayscale
    greater than 80%. Black color is not in the gamut of CYM inks.

    << From: "ray" ce89012@hotmail.com
    Date: Wed, Jan 26, 2005 8:53 PM

    "Eddy" <eamouri_nospam@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >

    > When I use the Kodak Ultimate Photo paper pro 4x6(270g/sq mt, there are
    > some bands in the low part of the pic. But I use genuine Canon
    > cardridges (compatible ones had once clogged the print head :-(((( )
    > Canon tech support told me that it was because I did not use Canon
    > paper, the only one which fits over 105g/sq mt...
    > Is it true ?
    >
    > Thanks

    I have an i850. I have had success with Cannon, Epson, Office Depot
    and Konica paper. The others that I have tried including Kodak
    do not seem to absorb the ink fast enough. This may be because
    this printer uses dye inks for color and pigmented ink for black.
    Color pictures use both color and black ink.

    Ditto for the me on the paper you use. I beleive Konica makes the Office Depot
    paper. That may explain why it is very good. Also, I have used Ilford Gallerie
    Professional Ink Jet Photo Range paper (Smooth Gloss) and it has given me fine
    results. Fairly heavy weight (250 gsm) and costs about $27 at Sam's Club.

    Greetings Eddy,

    I suggest a review of the recommended settings that we have posted to the
    Kodak web site. If used they should provide excellent results. Kodak has
    gone to the trouble of testing pretty much every printer out there to make
    sure the settings we offer will yield good results. The i850 is a part of
    the group and has particular settings. Try using the noted settings for
    your next printing on Kodak paper and see if it improves your results. I am
    sure it will. If not let me know.

    http://www.kodak.com/go/onetouch

    Just look up your printer and the related suggested settings.

    Talk to you soon, Eddy,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    "ray" <ce89012@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Eddy" <eamouri_nospam@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >

    > > When I use the Kodak Ultimate Photo paper pro 4x6(270g/sq mt, there are
    > > some bands in the low part of the pic. But I use genuine Canon
    > > cardridges (compatible ones had once clogged the print head :-(((( )
    > > Canon tech support told me that it was because I did not use Canon
    > > paper, the only one which fits over 105g/sq mt...
    > > Is it true ?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > I have an i850. I have had success with Cannon, Epson, Office Depot
    > and Konica paper. The others that I have tried including Kodak
    > do not seem to absorb the ink fast enough. This may be because
    > this printer uses dye inks for color and pigmented ink for black.
    > Color pictures use both color and black ink.

    "Eddy" <eamouri_nospam@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >

    > When I use the Kodak Ultimate Photo paper pro 4x6(270g/sq mt, there are
    > some bands in the low part of the pic. But I use genuine Canon
    > cardridges (compatible ones had once clogged the print head :-(((( )
    > Canon tech support told me that it was because I did not use Canon
    > paper, the only one which fits over 105g/sq mt...
    > Is it true ?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hey Eddy,

    One more thought on your experience, are there adjustments to your printer
    for the thickness of the paper. Ultima paper is a little thicker so this
    may be point to check? Good Luck!

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    "Eddy" <eamouri_nospam@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >

    > When I use the Kodak Ultimate Photo paper pro 4x6(270g/sq mt, there are
    > some bands in the low part of the pic. But I use genuine Canon
    > cardridges (compatible ones had once clogged the print head :-(((( )
    > Canon tech support told me that it was because I did not use Canon
    > paper, the only one which fits over 105g/sq mt...
    > Is it true ?
    >
    > Thanks

    For me, Canon, Epason, and Office Depot papers all work well on a
    canon i850.

    For me Kodak paper does not.

    SLK

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:35:28 +0100, Eddy <eamouri_nospam@yahoo.fr>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >

    >When I use the Kodak Ultimate Photo paper pro 4x6(270g/sq mt, there are
    >some bands in the low part of the pic. But I use genuine Canon
    >cardridges (compatible ones had once clogged the print head :-(((( )
    >Canon tech support told me that it was because I did not use Canon
    >paper, the only one which fits over 105g/sq mt...
    >Is it true ?
    >
    >Thanks

    Hello everybody and many thanks for all your answers,

    I used Kodack settings till now, but today I tried others* : it is much
    better !!! But there are still problem with bottom inch dark zones...
    Actually, all over the paper the dark zones are not well printed, and of
    course on the botton side it is worse because of some light bands.

    Sorry, Ron, but your papers, although cheaps, are worse than canon
    photo pro 101...

    *ICM activated, mat paper, high quality

    Eddy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > When I use the Kodak Ultimate Photo paper pro 4x6(270g/sq mt, there are
    > some bands in the low part of the pic. But I use genuine Canon
    > cardridges (compatible ones had once clogged the print head :-(((( )
    > Canon tech support told me that it was because I did not use Canon
    > paper, the only one which fits over 105g/sq mt...
    > Is it true ?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi Eddy,

    If you are willing to share the file with us, I am glad to have it reviewed.
    We have the same printers here as well as drivers etc. So, we can duplicate
    your situation. We can review your image and recreate what you are getting.
    What software program are you using, as I am sure we have it as well. After
    this review, I am glad to offer you suggestion. Of course we are going to
    use the settings offered from our web site. If we change them to fit your
    file, I will tell you what was done.

    Talk to you soon, Ed, glad to help out.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    > Hello everybody and many thanks for all your answers,
    >

    > I used Kodack settings till now, but today I tried others* : it is much
    > better !!! But there are still problem with bottom inch dark zones...
    > Actually, all over the paper the dark zones are not well printed, and of
    > course on the botton side it is worse because of some light bands.
    >
    > Sorry, Ron, but your papers, although cheaps, are worse than canon
    > photo pro 101...
    >
    > *ICM activated, mat paper, high quality

    I found that Kodak paper did not absorb the ink from either my epson 900
    stylus or canon I960 printers. I was in contact with Kodak and tried their
    software driver and settings and still had pooling of ink and a bronzing
    appearance in dark areas. I encountered about 5/16 inch of banding on the
    trailing edge of 4x6 prints using Canon photo paper pro and Costco glossy
    photo paper (an excellent paper which I've heard is made by Illford). I
    also ocasionally had a slight dark ink smear on the edge of the paper. I
    checked on the Canon web site and found a reference to this problem. The
    paper had a slight curve which they suggested I should bend to reverse the
    curve. I found a better solution. I realized that the paper was taking a
    slight curve by being left in the feed area of the printer after a print run
    was complete. I now do my printing and then remove the paper and store it
    flat in the original box. Problem solved! I had also changed to setting to
    accomodate for thicker paper and that worked as well, but it slows down the
    printing process as you have to confirm that you want this for each print.
    Better to store the paper flat between print runs.

    I don't know what the longevity of the prints will be with the costco
    Kirkland glossy photo paper, but the print quality is great and the price
    for 125 sheets is $19. A little work with a paper cutter and you have 375
    4x6 sheets for five cents apiece. I actually liked the prints better than
    the ones I did with Canon Photo Paper Pro. I originally used oem inks and
    now refill with MIS inks. I can't tell the difference! On the I960, using
    the Kirkland paper (Epson glossy photo paper gives similar results) I set
    the paper to Glossy photo paper, the next setting to manual (not automatic)
    and set the intensity to -4 for best skin tones.
    "Eddy" <eamouri_nospam@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >

    > When I use the Kodak Ultimate Photo paper pro 4x6(270g/sq mt, there are
    > some bands in the low part of the pic. But I use genuine Canon cardridges
    > (compatible ones had once clogged the print head :-(((( )
    > Canon tech support told me that it was because I did not use Canon paper,
    > the only one which fits over 105g/sq mt...
    > Is it true ?
    >
    > Thanks

Printers Photo Canon Kodak Peripherals