Epson defaults to color printing & is VERY slow at color p..

I have an Epson Color 800.

Whenever I try to print something from a web page using internet
explorer (in XP) the default printer preference is set to color print.
No big deal, except that when the preference is on color print the
printer takes up to 5min to print one page (even if that page is just
black and white text).

I print a lot of my web based emails and I invariably forget to reset
my preferences to black and white every time I want to print
something.

So, how can I permenently set my printer to default to black and white
when printing from internet explorer?
Or, how do I fix my printer so it dosn't take 5 minutes to print, in
color, a plain text document?

The slow printing with color also occurs with MS Word, however if I
set MS Word to print in B&W it will remeber that setting for the next
time I print.

Thanks!

"cje" <cevans81@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I have an Epson Color 800.
> . . .
> So, how can I permenently set my printer to default to black and white
> when printing from internet explorer?

I do not know how well it works under XP but the
old Win98 solution is:
1. Add a new printer (Epson 800) and give it a
distinctive name e.g. Black Only.
2. Assign / Preferences for this printer to black
only, draft mode etc., as you want to print.
3. When printing a web page, choose this printer.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

If this is the older SC800, you may be out of luck. I imagine you are
using the in box XP drivers, and some of them are not very sophisticated.

Bug Epson to provide upgraded drivers for this era of printers, as there
are still many in use.

Art