Integrated Sound damaged, spare sound card won't work

raiden1701

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
My specs:
2gb Kingston Value RAM
ASUS SLI Premium
Maxtor Diamondmax 10 IDE 250gbATI Radeon X800XTAthlon 64 3500+

My motherboard intregrated audio stopped working recently for no apparent reason. Device Manager says it is fine and it is enabled in the BIOS. I even formatted an re-intalled XP pro SP2, and still it doesn't work. I would like this problem solved...

But, in the mean time I borrowed a working Soundblaster Live sound card to temporarily replace my non-functioning audio. When I install the sound card and XP loads, everthing seems fine, the sound card drivers self install (XP drivers) and device manager says that that is working. However, then XP freezes and gives me the Blue Screen of Death with a Stop 0x0000009C error code. I've tried the card in all three of my PCI slots, but the same thing happens every time. I have tried disabling/enabling the intregrated sound in the BIOS. Why would this happen? I would also like to fix my intregrated sound as it is better than the sound card.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Are you sure it's not an issue with your speakers?

Make sure uninstall your onboard sound drivers. Download appopriate drivers for the spare card and install them. Do not use the standard ones that XP loads.

raiden1701

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
It is not the speakers because they work with my other computer. I unintsalled the integrated sound drivers. This time I installed the sound card and disabled the intregrated sound and it loaded fine, with no freeze. But now when I try playing any audio file in any player the only output is a high pitched whine. And when I click on folders or on my homepage icon in internet explorer it makes a "quick thunking whine" noise for each click. And now I can't access the internet with the sound card installed. The Device Manager says that the sound card has no confict.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Did you install Soundblaster's drivers from their website and not the standard Windows XP drivers?

After you physically install the Soundblaster card, cancel out of the auto-installation program when Windows boots up and then install the Soundblaster drivers.

Have you had any strange power outages, brownouts or electrical storms?

Open up your case and examine (make sure to ground yourself) all of the capacitors on the mobo very carefully with a flashlight. Check to see if any are leaking or bulging. The tops will be rounded upwards and may have a brownish corrosion on them.

raiden1701

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
I installed the Creative Soundblaster Live drivers from Creatives site and the updates. The computer froze the first time with some squealing sounds. I rebooted and it ran normally. But when I play a sound file nothing comes out. Everything looks and says it is functioning but no sound. It seems to be doing exactly what the integrated sound is doing. I checked for damaged capacitors and found none. I also don't remember any power outages or anything like that.

I am going to try another hard drive with a fresh copy of XP and only install the motherboard drivers and see what that does. I was also reading somewhere that the sound card might not work with the integrated ethernet because of some master/slave relationship between the integrated sound and integrated ethernet.

raiden1701

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
I installed a fresh copy of XP Pro SP2 onto another drive with only the audio driver installed, still no sound. I tried all of the surround sound ports and all silent. It must be a hardware issue.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Hmmm, I cannot think of anything off the top of my head. I do know a lot of people have had a lot of problems in general with the Asus SLI boards. You may want to start thinking about RMAing the board if you still can.