Is it worth upgrading to 939 at this point?

Coops07

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
I plan to purchase a EVGA 7900GT sometime this week. I currently have a A64 3200+ and S754 Mobo, but it does not support PCI Express, so I plan on purchasing a S754 mobo that does. I have a guy who is buying my video card and mobo, but he would like the CPU as well, even though I could probably get away with not selling it to him. I'll get to the point, is it worth it, from a performance perspective, me mostly gaming, to upgrade to a S939 3200+/S939 Mobo at this point when one year down the road I will be upgrading to Conroe? What are the big advantages S939 has over S754?

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Wikipedia:

Socket 754 is a budget-minded socket, for use with AMD Athlon 64 or Sempron processors. Compared to Socket 939, it features:

* support for a single channel memory controller (64-bits wide) with maximum of 3 DIMMs
* lower HyperTransport speed (800 MHz Bi-Directional, 16 bit data path, up and downstream)
* lower effective data bandwidth (9.6 GB/s)
* lower motherboard manufacturing costs

In comparison to its newer sibling, Socket 939, the only main difference is lack of dual channel memory support. Socket 754s will continue to drive sales for AMD's value processor, the Sempron and single channel memory versions of the Athlon 64.

So you'd get full dual channel support and a faster HT bus. I'd sell it all and upgrade it now since you're buying a new motherboard and vid card anyway.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I'll get to the point, is it worth it, from a performance perspective, me mostly gaming, to upgrade to a S939 3200+/S939 Mobo at this point when one year down the road I will be upgrading to Conroe? What are the big advantages S939 has over S754?
No, it is not worth to upgrade to s939. You will see almsot no difference. I guess you have NewCastle/ClawHammer/SledgeHammer which does not support SSE3. The SSE3 supported by the actual Venice core (s939 and now there is for s754 also) which will give you almost no improvement compared to SSE2 becouse most apps are not using SSE3, and most other apps which are using are performing better with SSE2.
The s939 has 128bit memory controller, while the s754 has 64bit. That means that s939 can operate with double memory bandwidth compared to the bandwidth of s754 cores. But this will not give you much, only about +5% improvement at same clock. Consider that the numbering is different for s754 and s939. The 3000+ s754 is clocked at 2GHz, while the 3200+ is clocked same for s939.
I have used s754 systems and they are performing same as s939, but are running a bit hotter(130nm instead of 90nm). My advice is that you should stay at s754 and wait for Conroe to make a significent performance improvement.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
fisrt i wanna say this guy that posted above me (gOJDO) is an intel hugger

and to answer ur question, go for it, get a goot OCing mobo, and an Opteron Series CPU, and OC the crap out of it.

or keep ur CPU, change ur mobo...yah, sell him ur CPU too cuz i mean whats the point? get new gfx new mobo old socket

S939 will be fine, we have yet to see conroe besides at anand, i mena yah anand tech is a respectable site but i wouldnt full ybelieve thei bench marks yet wait til conroe hits the market then we'll have real benchmarks

also, keep in mind conroe will prolly be pricy
so i would go for it, if u wait for "new tech" u'll wait all ur life

mationman

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Im in the same situation as you except I dont have a buyer for my stuff so im just getting a 754 mobo and GPU.
If you bump the price up of the deal then it might be cost effective but as youre going to move to conroe when its released (dunno when though with all the talk of vista delays and dx 10).
And like gOJDO said its not that much of an upgrade, unless your making some more money back on the selling of your cpu to make it finacially viable.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Could you just stop bullshiting me with your limited uneducated mind please.
For once start using your brain and logic if you have any and stop proving your stupidity making nosence conclusions. Try to join the real world and stop floating in your own world poluting everything around giving your self the main role of human existence

mationman

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
and to answer ur question, go for it, get a goot OCing mobo, and an Opteron Series CPU, and OC the crap out of it.

Hmm if he's asking what are the big advantages S939 has over S754 I dont think hes into OCing

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
I'm still running on Socket A at the moment.
I will finally be building my new pc in 2 weeks, and it will be s939. I'm planning on at least 3 years with minor upgrades out of it. My current rig is 4.
That's my 2 cents

G

gOJDO is right. I look into it and the S754 3000+ @ 2.0Ghz is the same speed as the S939 3200+... It makes no sense, except for maybe a tiny performance increase from dual channel (which means I g2 buy new memory), the 3200+ @ 2.2Ghz Newcastle I have now is good. If you check out the CPU Interactive chars, the newcastle 3200+ beats the venice 3200+ in most apps. So if I were to upgrade to S939, I'd basically be paying more money for less performance... Doesn't sound smart to me... I think I shall just stick with my good old S754, seems like the smart choice.

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006

S939 will be fine, we have yet to see conroe besides at anand, i mena yah anand tech is a respectable site but i wouldnt full ybelieve thei bench marks yet wait til conroe hits the market then we'll have real benchmarks

also, keep in mind conroe will prolly be pricy
so i would go for it, if u wait for "new tech" u'll wait all ur life

I dunno where you got that idea... the Conroe's are scheduled to come out cheaper than AM2...way cheaper. $200 for the 1.86Ghz low end Conroe, as opposed to $500 for the low end AM2.... yeah, look who's pricy. :roll:

and gOJDO is not an Intel hugger

pat

Expert
I plan to purchase a EVGA 7900GT sometime this week. I currently have a A64 3200+ and S754 Mobo, but it does not support PCI Express, so I plan on purchasing a S754 mobo that does. I have a guy who is buying my video card and mobo, but he would like the CPU as well, even though I could probably get away with not selling it to him. I'll get to the point, is it worth it, from a performance perspective, me mostly gaming, to upgrade to a S939 3200+/S939 Mobo at this point when one year down the road I will be upgrading to Conroe? What are the big advantages S939 has over S754?

If you expect difference in performance between socket 754 and 939 3200+, you'll be sorry ...

But, if the current cpu/motherboard/ram/video card is working good, then sell it as a whole. And get something new for you.

Your friend will have a stable and nice computer without too amny problem, you'll save on the time to troubleshoot his machine, because if he had problem, you'll feel sorry for him. Then it bwill give you more time to troubleshoot yours...