6800GT (AGP) Running at 85c under load?

Proletariat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
First off, I'd like to blame the crappiest chipset ever - the Via K8T800 Pro - and some crappy BIOS support from Asus (the newest BIOS is from 12/05).

Anyway, I fiddled around with some overclocking stuff in the BIOS, OC'ed the processor 3% for giggles, and turned it back down cause it was totally worthless. Then I realized I needed a BIOS update and downloaded 1017 (latest stable) from Asus' site. Restarted, first off it told me bad checksum in BIOS, then when it got back into Windows reported my proc speed as 1.4GHz-ish (CPU-Z), having changed the multiplier down to 7 until I restarted again, and when I started back up and tried to play some games:
a.) Counter-Strike Source now freezes between 10-30 seconds, about 2 minutes after I join a server and
b.) GTA-SA locks up completely every eight minutes or so but recovers in about 20 seconds, only to repeat ad infinitum.

I've had my video card OC'ed to 423 MHz Core/1.15 GHz Memory pretty much since I've had it and 70c was pretty much as high as it ever got, after 3DMark05 or F.E.A.R., but now even playing GTA or CSS immediately sends the temp up to 85c and idles around 60c, when it should be about 45c idle.

It also reports the ambient case temp as 58-62c when this is not true, the proc itself (AMD64 3400+ Newcastle) runs about 34c, 38c under load (gaming, not stress testing).

The cooling has not changed, nor have any clock speeds; everything is the same it has been for over a year now, the only changes are software (firmware?), latest NVidia driver and new BIOS, and the problems didn't appear until I changed the latter.

I would just blame it on the bad BIOS or incorrect temp readings, but I've changed it to a newer beta version BIOS and still have the same problem, not to mention the fact that the card seems to be throttling (and what wouldn't at 85c?)

Thanks in advance for any help.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
have you checked to see if all dust is out
you may have dust in the heat sink on your card
even if you use a can of compressed air
it wont get all dust out
i use high pressure air <150psi> through a blowgun not full blast but
more than with an aerosol can <you have to hold the fans as it will
spin the fans up to extreme rpms>
but i had to take the top cover of the card off <mine has mermaid on
the cover> and see a layer of dust on the fans side of the heatsink
cleaned that out and it went from 106c under load to about 70c
under load and idle went from 70c to 50c
my comp is in a dusty inviroment

bob8701

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I hope it is not too late to reply
i upgrade my bios to 1017, same thing happened to me about 1.4GHZ, 3400+ new castle. go to bios check my cpu voltage: 1.55V! default mode
i change to 1.375 volt, please disable cool and quiet first.
drop 0.175 volt on cpu will help cpu run cooler, if you case air flow is not good, plus the heat from cpu, your gpu may run hotter then before.

idles :my case air temp 29 cpu 34 ( disable cool and quiet, 1.375v)
after 1hours prime 95
case temp 35 cpu 41

First off, I'd like to blame the crappiest chipset ever - the Via K8T800 Pro - and some crappy BIOS support from Asus (the newest BIOS is from 12/05).

Anyway, I fiddled around with some overclocking stuff in the BIOS, OC'ed the processor 3% for giggles, and turned it back down cause it was totally worthless. Then I realized I needed a BIOS update and downloaded 1017 (latest stable) from Asus' site. Restarted, first off it told me bad checksum in BIOS, then when it got back into Windows reported my proc speed as 1.4GHz-ish (CPU-Z), having changed the multiplier down to 7 until I restarted again, and when I started back up and tried to play some games:
a.) Counter-Strike Source now freezes between 10-30 seconds, about 2 minutes after I join a server and
b.) GTA-SA locks up completely every eight minutes or so but recovers in about 20 seconds, only to repeat ad infinitum.

I've had my video card OC'ed to 423 MHz Core/1.15 GHz Memory pretty much since I've had it and 70c was pretty much as high as it ever got, after 3DMark05 or F.E.A.R., but now even playing GTA or CSS immediately sends the temp up to 85c and idles around 60c, when it should be about 45c idle.

It also reports the ambient case temp as 58-62c when this is not true, the proc itself (AMD64 3400+ Newcastle) runs about 34c, 38c under load (gaming, not stress testing).

The cooling has not changed, nor have any clock speeds; everything is the same it has been for over a year now, the only changes are software (firmware?), latest NVidia driver and new BIOS, and the problems didn't appear until I changed the latter.

I would just blame it on the bad BIOS or incorrect temp readings, but I've changed it to a newer beta version BIOS and still have the same problem, not to mention the fact that the card seems to be throttling (and what wouldn't at 85c?)

Thanks in advance for any help.