Trident

For those, like me, who love flying the commercial jets and would like a
piece of UK aviation history, I recommend David Maltby's Hawker-Siddeley
Trident available free from Avsim. This is a superbly designed and detailed
package and you need to spend some time getting to grips with it. I'm only
halfway there but have managed to complete a couple of flights after a few
crashes! It keeps you on your toes. The VC is one of the best I have
encountered and the panel is absolutely first class depicting the
instruments and controls of the day. It is infinitely better than many
payware models out there!

For those who don't know, the Trident in its three versions was the
short-haul workhorse of British European Airways in the sixties which was
absorbed into British Airways in the seventies. It was the first British
airliner to have a Category III autoland facility and was used by British
Airways into the eighties on their London to Glasgow shuttle service on
which if you booked you were guaranteed a seat. I know someone who had
booked and was put on the reserve a/craft - him and two other passengers!

British Airways lost a Trident just out of Heathrow en route to Brussels in
(I think) 1971. It stalled and fell out of the sky. The enqiury concluded
that this was mainly because the Captain had a heart attack and was unable
to respond to his stick shaking stall warning. Because they had earlier
switched off the audible warning due to spurious faults, it was thought that
by the time the FO had realised what was happening it was too late. It
crashed with a total loss of life. Having "flown" this model I can see how
that might have happened. If you don't get it right it bites!

This was Hawker's attempt to compete with the Boeing 727 and the
configuration is very similar with one difference. Boeing fitted a rear
door/stairway but Hawker dimissed this saying that the airports to be served
would be well equipped. The rear stairway was reckoned to have swayed many
purchasers to the Boeing.

Sorry for the ramble! Go try the Trident! :0))

Iain

GREGORY

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 15:01:57 +0000 (UTC), "Iain Smith"
<iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> brought the following to our
attention:

>For those, like me, who love flying the commercial jets and would like a
>piece of UK aviation history, I recommend David Maltby's Hawker-Siddeley
>Trident available free from Avsim. This is a superbly designed and detailed
>package and you need to spend some time getting to grips with it. I'm only
>halfway there but have managed to complete a couple of flights after a few
>crashes! It keeps you on your toes. The VC is one of the best I have
>encountered and the panel is absolutely first class depicting the
>instruments and controls of the day. It is infinitely better than many
>payware models out there!
>
>For those who don't know, the Trident in its three versions was the
>short-haul workhorse of British European Airways in the sixties which was
>absorbed into British Airways in the seventies. It was the first British
>airliner to have a Category III autoland facility and was used by British
>Airways into the eighties on their London to Glasgow shuttle service on
>which if you booked you were guaranteed a seat. I know someone who had
>booked and was put on the reserve a/craft - him and two other passengers!
>
>British Airways lost a Trident just out of Heathrow en route to Brussels in
>(I think) 1971. It stalled and fell out of the sky. The enqiury concluded
>that this was mainly because the Captain had a heart attack and was unable
>to respond to his stick shaking stall warning. Because they had earlier
>switched off the audible warning due to spurious faults, it was thought that
>by the time the FO had realised what was happening it was too late. It
>crashed with a total loss of life. Having "flown" this model I can see how
>that might have happened. If you don't get it right it bites!
>
>This was Hawker's attempt to compete with the Boeing 727 and the
>configuration is very similar with one difference. Boeing fitted a rear
>door/stairway but Hawker dimissed this saying that the airports to be served
>would be well equipped. The rear stairway was reckoned to have swayed many
>purchasers to the Boeing.
>
>Sorry for the ramble! Go try the Trident! :0))
>
>Iain

ok.. installed now.. it works in FS8!!

and saved out textures in DXT1 w/o MIPS.
there was a long delay after selecting
Trident2 and returning to Menu.. but it went
ahead ok.. must have been the panel.

-Gregory

"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
> ok.. installed now.. it works in FS8!!
>
> and saved out textures in DXT1 w/o MIPS.
> there was a long delay after selecting
> Trident2 and returning to Menu.. but it went
> ahead ok.. must have been the panel.

Hi Greg - yes I converted the textures and the DXT didn't look any different
to me! I'm sure you'll enjoy flying the Trident and running through the
Autoland scenarios.:0))

Iain

GREGORY

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 15:35:07 +0000 (UTC), "Iain Smith"
<iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> brought the following to our
attention:

>"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> ok.. installed now.. it works in FS8!!
>>
>> and saved out textures in DXT1 w/o MIPS.
>> there was a long delay after selecting
>> Trident2 and returning to Menu.. but it went
>> ahead ok.. must have been the panel.
>
>Hi Greg - yes I converted the textures and the DXT didn't look any different
>to me! I'm sure you'll enjoy flying the Trident and running through the
>Autoland scenarios.:0))
>
>Iain

Tried to discuss this in another forum.. but got blasted right off
the map!! for some reason with 32MB nVidia TNT2.. all planes
must be converted to non-mipped textures.. even the default AI
textures. Otherwise they are VERY blurry from normal viewing
distance.

For framerate reasons.. many times 1024x1024 fuse textures get
reduced to 512x512 (with unsharp-mask tricks) and then saved
out as DXT1 with all-white Alpha.. so no reflection coeffs. :)

It's a framerate reduction thing. The resulting files are only 129k.
Trident already has 512x textures.

-Gregory

p.s. how is it the Trident crashed? is it like the sawmill up in the
country that employed 30 men.. and mysteriously burned down
one night. Big corps in NYC don't like competition you know! :)

> p.s. how is it the Trident crashed? is it like the sawmill up in the
> country that employed 30 men.. and mysteriously burned down
> one night. Big corps in NYC don't like competition you know! :)

No - it was a genuine crew illness/error incident. Sorry I know you like
conspiracy theories but I don't think Boeing were too worried by the
competition at the time. In fact the only overseas orders that Hawker got
for the Trident were from China Airways who have a couple of non-flying
examples in their museum. :0))

Iain

Hi Iain

50% downloaded and will report back thanks

Don from NZ (no bombs here mate)

"donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Iain
>
> 50% downloaded and will report back thanks
>
> Don from NZ (no bombs here mate)

Look forward to your comments Don. I think you'll be impressed. Re the
London bombs, appalling and my heart goes out to all those affected. But
we've been there before and we'll get through. We won't give the b*****ds
the satisfaction of making us scared to go out!! ;0))

Iain

playing guitar at a gig today and had to practice so no flying with that
new one yet Iain but did a cold immediate takeoff usual flaps etc and
plunged into the sea at over 160 knots so guess there's a different
something or rather to do in pre take procedure off so guess have to read
the tutorials
But sorry about that terrible news overr there as the casualties climb.
They had a minutes silence in the Alblacks V Lions match last night in
respect.
Don

> "donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Iain
>>
>> 50% downloaded and will report back thanks
>>
>> Don from NZ (no bombs here mate)
>>

> Look forward to your comments Don. I think you'll be impressed. Re the
> London bombs, appalling and my heart goes out to all those affected. But
> we've been there before and we'll get through. We won't give the b*****ds
> the satisfaction of making us scared to go out!! ;0))
>
> Iain

Oh that looks similar a 727. I Googled the Trident and found quite an
interesting site on British Airways aircraft used over the years. Thanks
for the info on the Trident.

http://www.bamuseum.com/60-70.html

Mike C

> For those, like me, who love flying the commercial jets and would like a
> piece of UK aviation history, I recommend David Maltby's Hawker-Siddeley
> Trident available free from Avsim. This is a superbly designed and
> detailed package and you need to spend some time getting to grips with it.
> I'm only halfway there but have managed to complete a couple of flights
> after a few crashes! It keeps you on your toes. The VC is one of the best
> I have encountered and the panel is absolutely first class depicting the
> instruments and controls of the day. It is infinitely better than many
> payware models out there!
>
> For those who don't know, the Trident in its three versions was the
> short-haul workhorse of British European Airways in the sixties which was
> absorbed into British Airways in the seventies. It was the first British
> airliner to have a Category III autoland facility and was used by British
> Airways into the eighties on their London to Glasgow shuttle service on
> which if you booked you were guaranteed a seat. I know someone who had
> booked and was put on the reserve a/craft - him and two other passengers!
>
> British Airways lost a Trident just out of Heathrow en route to Brussels
> in (I think) 1971. It stalled and fell out of the sky. The enqiury
> concluded that this was mainly because the Captain had a heart attack and
> was unable to respond to his stick shaking stall warning. Because they had
> earlier switched off the audible warning due to spurious faults, it was
> thought that by the time the FO had realised what was happening it was too
> late. It crashed with a total loss of life. Having "flown" this model I
> can see how that might have happened. If you don't get it right it bites!
>
> This was Hawker's attempt to compete with the Boeing 727 and the
> configuration is very similar with one difference. Boeing fitted a rear
> door/stairway but Hawker dimissed this saying that the airports to be
> served would be well equipped. The rear stairway was reckoned to have
> swayed many purchasers to the Boeing.
>
> Sorry for the ramble! Go try the Trident! :0))
>
> Iain

Hey Iain,

Very nice package!

Say, I can't figure out the shutdown on the engines from the virtual
cockpit. Can it be done?

Mike C
"Iain Smith" <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> For those, like me, who love flying the commercial jets and would like a
> piece of UK aviation history, I recommend David Maltby's Hawker-Siddeley
> Trident available free from Avsim. This is a superbly designed and
> detailed package and you need to spend some time getting to grips with it.
> I'm only halfway there but have managed to complete a couple of flights
> after a few crashes! It keeps you on your toes. The VC is one of the best
> I have encountered and the panel is absolutely first class depicting the
> instruments and controls of the day. It is infinitely better than many
> payware models out there!
>
> For those who don't know, the Trident in its three versions was the
> short-haul workhorse of British European Airways in the sixties which was
> absorbed into British Airways in the seventies. It was the first British
> airliner to have a Category III autoland facility and was used by British
> Airways into the eighties on their London to Glasgow shuttle service on
> which if you booked you were guaranteed a seat. I know someone who had
> booked and was put on the reserve a/craft - him and two other passengers!
>
> British Airways lost a Trident just out of Heathrow en route to Brussels
> in (I think) 1971. It stalled and fell out of the sky. The enqiury
> concluded that this was mainly because the Captain had a heart attack and
> was unable to respond to his stick shaking stall warning. Because they had
> earlier switched off the audible warning due to spurious faults, it was
> thought that by the time the FO had realised what was happening it was too
> late. It crashed with a total loss of life. Having "flown" this model I
> can see how that might have happened. If you don't get it right it bites!
>
> This was Hawker's attempt to compete with the Boeing 727 and the
> configuration is very similar with one difference. Boeing fitted a rear
> door/stairway but Hawker dimissed this saying that the airports to be
> served would be well equipped. The rear stairway was reckoned to have
> swayed many purchasers to the Boeing.
>
> Sorry for the ramble! Go try the Trident! :0))
>
> Iain

Hi Mike
Just mouse the base of the three black sliders (not spiders this time) below
the throttles. I have had no probs

Butts

"mikepic" <mikepic@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Hey Iain,
>
> Very nice package!
>
> Say, I can't figure out the shutdown on the engines from the virtual
> cockpit. Can it be done?
>
> Mike C
> "Iain Smith" <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> For those, like me, who love flying the commercial jets and would like a
>> piece of UK aviation history, I recommend David Maltby's Hawker-Siddeley
>> Trident available free from Avsim. This is a superbly designed and
>> detailed package and you need to spend some time getting to grips with
>> it. I'm only halfway there but have managed to complete a couple of
>> flights after a few crashes! It keeps you on your toes. The VC is one of
>> the best I have encountered and the panel is absolutely first class
>> depicting the instruments and controls of the day. It is infinitely
>> better than many payware models out there!
>>
>> For those who don't know, the Trident in its three versions was the
>> short-haul workhorse of British European Airways in the sixties which was
>> absorbed into British Airways in the seventies. It was the first British
>> airliner to have a Category III autoland facility and was used by British
>> Airways into the eighties on their London to Glasgow shuttle service on
>> which if you booked you were guaranteed a seat. I know someone who had
>> booked and was put on the reserve a/craft - him and two other passengers!
>>
>> British Airways lost a Trident just out of Heathrow en route to Brussels
>> in (I think) 1971. It stalled and fell out of the sky. The enqiury
>> concluded that this was mainly because the Captain had a heart attack and
>> was unable to respond to his stick shaking stall warning. Because they
>> had earlier switched off the audible warning due to spurious faults, it
>> was thought that by the time the FO had realised what was happening it
>> was too late. It crashed with a total loss of life. Having "flown" this
>> model I can see how that might have happened. If you don't get it right
>> it bites!
>>
>> This was Hawker's attempt to compete with the Boeing 727 and the
>> configuration is very similar with one difference. Boeing fitted a rear
>> door/stairway but Hawker dimissed this saying that the airports to be
>> served would be well equipped. The rear stairway was reckoned to have
>> swayed many purchasers to the Boeing.
>>
>> Sorry for the ramble! Go try the Trident! :0))
>>
>> Iain

Hey thanks, fella. Appreciate it.

Mike
> Hi Mike
> Just mouse the base of the three black sliders (not spiders this time)
> below the throttles. I have had no probs
>
> Butts
>
> "mikepic" <mikepic@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> Hey Iain,
>>
>> Very nice package!
>>
>> Say, I can't figure out the shutdown on the engines from the virtual
>> cockpit. Can it be done?
>>
>> Mike C
>> "Iain Smith" <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> For those, like me, who love flying the commercial jets and would like a
>>> piece of UK aviation history, I recommend David Maltby's Hawker-Siddeley
>>> Trident available free from Avsim. This is a superbly designed and
>>> detailed package and you need to spend some time getting to grips with
>>> it. I'm only halfway there but have managed to complete a couple of
>>> flights after a few crashes! It keeps you on your toes. The VC is one of
>>> the best I have encountered and the panel is absolutely first class
>>> depicting the instruments and controls of the day. It is infinitely
>>> better than many payware models out there!
>>>
>>> For those who don't know, the Trident in its three versions was the
>>> short-haul workhorse of British European Airways in the sixties which
>>> was absorbed into British Airways in the seventies. It was the first
>>> British airliner to have a Category III autoland facility and was used
>>> by British Airways into the eighties on their London to Glasgow shuttle
>>> service on which if you booked you were guaranteed a seat. I know
>>> someone who had booked and was put on the reserve a/craft - him and two
>>> other passengers!
>>>
>>> British Airways lost a Trident just out of Heathrow en route to Brussels
>>> in (I think) 1971. It stalled and fell out of the sky. The enqiury
>>> concluded that this was mainly because the Captain had a heart attack
>>> and was unable to respond to his stick shaking stall warning. Because
>>> they had earlier switched off the audible warning due to spurious
>>> faults, it was thought that by the time the FO had realised what was
>>> happening it was too late. It crashed with a total loss of life. Having
>>> "flown" this model I can see how that might have happened. If you don't
>>> get it right it bites!
>>>
>>> This was Hawker's attempt to compete with the Boeing 727 and the
>>> configuration is very similar with one difference. Boeing fitted a rear
>>> door/stairway but Hawker dimissed this saying that the airports to be
>>> served would be well equipped. The rear stairway was reckoned to have
>>> swayed many purchasers to the Boeing.
>>>
>>> Sorry for the ramble! Go try the Trident! :0))
>>>
>>> Iain

:) I've just completed 5 successful autoland circuits at Heathrow in the
fog utilising the virtual cockpit (which leaves a lot of payware for dead).
What a plane. I keep sneaking back to the PC when I'm supposed to be doing
outside manual house projects!! Neat package alright mike
Don
> Hey thanks, fella. Appreciate it.
>
> Mike
> "donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Mike
>> Just mouse the base of the three black sliders (not spiders this time)
>> below the throttles. I have had no probs
>>
>> Butts
>>
>> "mikepic" <mikepic@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>>> Hey Iain,
>>>
>>> Very nice package!
>>>
>>> Say, I can't figure out the shutdown on the engines from the virtual
>>> cockpit. Can it be done?
>>>
>>> Mike C
>>> "Iain Smith" <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> wrote in message

Oh, I'm thrilled with package, Don. I haven't gotten into the autoland
issues yet but have found the plane to be a dream to fly. It complains
pretty well when you slow it down without extending the wing slats and flaps
but handles great when you do extend them. It is definitely easier to align
and keep aligned on the runway during approach than the 737.

The virtual cockpit is so detailed and so many of the items function it does
make you keep coming back for more. In my case, it just may lead to a
divorce :) !!

A great package and quite the plane.
Mike
> :) I've just completed 5 successful autoland circuits at Heathrow in the
> fog utilising the virtual cockpit (which leaves a lot of payware for
> dead). What a plane. I keep sneaking back to the PC when I'm supposed to
> be doing outside manual house projects!! Neat package alright mike
> Don
> "mikepic" <mikepic@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> Hey thanks, fella. Appreciate it.
>>
>> Mike
>> "donbutts" <remove.donneybutts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Mike
>>> Just mouse the base of the three black sliders (not spiders this time)
>>> below the throttles. I have had no probs
>>>
>>> Butts
>>>
>>> "mikepic" <mikepic@insightbb.com> wrote in message

TRENDING THREADS