S939 mobo for A64 3700+

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
My P4 died because of heat issues (don't ask), so I'm getting a socket 939 A64 3700+ and an AMD board.

I thought about waiting for AM2, but I decided not to because I need a working PC soon, and I wouldn't be able to reuse my RAM.

I'm a n00b at CPU overclocking, and I won't be overclocking the CPU immediately (I don't want to toast it), but I'll consider it in the future.

I want a standard ATX board with 4 RAM slots, a FireWire port, 4 USB ports, at least 3 PCI slots, and a PCI-E slot.

I have no preference about the integrated video or sound because I'll be using my X600 and Audigy 2.

Which chipset is better; ATI or nVidia?

I don't care if it's a Crossfire or SLI board; I just don't want to pay extra for something which I'll probably never use.

Thanks in advance

-Ducky

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
EPoX 9NPA3 Ultra should fit your budget.
If Abit KN8 Ultra is even cheaper, get that instead.

*yawns*

How about the Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI??

Any thoughts?

The Pro-sli will run great with that CPU

i actually had a 3700+ with that mobo

easy install , no prob

get that and save some money -and its sli

=]

I asked why the EPoX board is better than the Gigabyte? What are the best boards for overclocking?

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
She got everything you need.

fire vire, 3 pci...,and good overclocking board.

I got it and i can recomande it to you.

You got two versions one is ultra and one +ultra.
Ultra does not have firewire.

http://www.epox.com/USA/product.asp?id=EP-9NPAplusULTRA

Ther is one more thing, if you take this board beaware to not become a
overclocking addict :D

I already am an overclocking addict; that's why I'll be putting my P4 heatsink/fan on my X600 once I get the new CPU and board.

And I already bought this board. before you gave me the link to the EPoX board.

juggernaught

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Hey Angry Ducky!
Look mate, ya cant go wrong with an ASUS A8N-E .
It should be stable enough and it takes A64/FX and X2

dunno about overclocking & I wouldnt try it meself.

Belac

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
DFI are great boards for overclocking, I just got the NF4 Ultra D.

www.dfi-street.com has alot of great tutoriels aswell as recommended PSUs and RAM for the motherboard because it is really picky with the type of RAM it will work with.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
aswell as recommended PSUs and RAM for the motherboard because it is really picky with the type of RAM it will work with.

Crap. Another potential pain in the ass getting the fu**ing computer to work. My RAM is just some proprietary HP crap that came with my system. I don't know what brand it is because it doesn't say on it. The PSU is a new Thermaltake 430W that I ordered along with the CPU and board. I don't consider my PC an HP anymore; the only parts from its HP days will be the hard drive, the RAM, and the DVD drives. Everything else has or will be replaced.

I should mention that my dad didn't want me to install the CPU, board, and PSU, so I've given it to another nerd who knows more about computers than me.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
The old board (fried by P4) was a proprietary ASUS board from HP.

My one concern about the DFI board is that in the reviews on newegg, a lot of people have complained about the loud chipset fan. I leave my computer on almost all the time, and I plan on putting it back in my room, so if it bothers me, I'll just replace it.

blazesofhell

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
haha whats' wrong with ASUS A8N-E??!!

I just bought one a few days ago for my new rig...should i be regretting that decision or somethin?