orionman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Hi,

I was about to put on my ddr2 modules a cheap heat spreader then I saw void warranty sticker, so I don't know if I should remove it since my memory is new and hot but not that hot...
stock voltage on the memory...

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
DON'T do it, the heat spreader will work with the sticker on

fyi, the heat spreader will do absolutely nothing to cool your ram because it doesn't add extra surface area, its just there to look cool

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
to look cool?

just cuz you feel the heat, doesn't mean its helping to cool the ram

lol

if i felt my cpu w/o a heatsink on, it'll DEFINITLY feel hot/burn my hand but doesn't mean its properly cooled

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
ahem

if u do feel heat then its properly cooled becuase its doing its job , its removing or "spreading" heat away from the Ram

and there what 5-7 bucks for heatspreaders -thats nothing , might as well get them

they do look kool , say if your at a Lan party or just have a friend there
gives it that look at me im Ram with a pretty Heatsink

and why u take off the heatsink of the Cpu when it was on ?

-waste of time
-bored

and remember Jesus loves u

jesuslovesu.jpg

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
you can never "feel" how well your hsf is working, again...i can certainly feel the heat of my cpu w/o a heatsink, but its not cooled properly

the heatspreader does not do anything because it does not add substantial surface area. its like adding a flat piece of metal as a hsf on your cpu... no one is dumb enough to do that

again they are only good for looks

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Heat spreaders hardly cools the temperature down on the modules, you'd be better off setting up a fan directly over the modules to cool them.

If you are really interested in cooling the modules, get those little heatsink that sits individually on each memory chip, preferably copper in material. But you might run into spacing problems if your modules are double sided and if you have 4 sticks in there!!!

One other solution to cool them would be adding water cooling onto your modules....not sure exactly what they are called but they're out there!!!
They basically look like heat spreaders but have water passing through them within!!

orionman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Ok so no heat spreader? and I should try to put a fan on the modules?
because putting the heat spreaders on the stickers seems weird no?

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
i'm pretty sure you mean 3.2 wusy B)

and never get those RAM waterblocks, they double as a corrosive factor and a brick wall for flow and adds absolutely no more OC

what people needs to remember is that cooling the RAM doesn't really matter, as long as it doesn't overheat and melt, the difference in temperature rarely affects the OC

orionman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
"]
what people needs to remember is that cooling the RAM doesn't really matter, as long as it doesn't overheat and melt, the difference in temperature rarely affects the OC

And what about the life time of the modules?
I'm an anxious overclocker :oops: ....

Is it a good thing to up the voltage on some noname modules like my 2x1gb?
In terms of lifetime and performance?

orionman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
"]depends on what chip it is, but i usually don't recommend OCing a no-name RAM unless you are really sure what chips it has

really? my system seems stable with that overclock... no voltage change on my ram...
Am I killing my modules?? loll!

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
you arn't technically actively killing your computer, but it should be well known that you generally reduce the lifespan of your computer by OCing

and if you can get to that speed stable then you have decent chips on your RAM.

orionman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Well, in a physics point of view, as long as the heat is dissapated, all F.E.T. aren't being damaged at all.

My ram timings are loose, very loose to get to that speed.

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
its common knowledge to the consumer.

to wusy: no-name ram sticks are usually rated at the stock speeds and have crappy timings. thats why i usually don't recommend OCing these. if you were serious about overclocking from teh start, you would've gotten better RAM

orionman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
"]its common knowledge to the consumer.

to wusy: no-name ram sticks are usually rated at the stock speeds and have crappy timings. thats why i usually don't recommend OCing these. if you were serious about overclocking from teh start, you would've gotten better RAM

Well, I read an article here on THG about high end RAM
And I wasn't impressed by the 5% gain from good timings.
Those modules were DAMN expensive.

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
okay first of all, a 5% gain in performance is huge considering what we pay for that extra bit

its not just timings. good chips allow you to OC higher. think about it this way: you have a great OCing cpu and mobo, but crappy ram. that ram is going ot hold back your OC a lot and therefor hold back the overall performance of your system.